Seeking advice about a new bowling ball

Seeking advice about a new bowling ball

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
You can't go wrong there...
I did a little reading and a little filing and my bowling ball feels pretty comfortable. I did a little more reading and practicing on my footwork and it's all coming back to me.
Now I need to find out what I can use to clean and maybe polish or wax the ball. I'm left handed so it's not so easy to find a ball on the rack drilled for a lefty.

  #22  
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 PM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 5,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I did a little reading and a little filing and my bowling ball feels pretty comfortable. I did a little more reading and practicing on my footwork and it's all coming back to me.
Now I need to find out what I can use to clean and maybe polish or wax the ball. I'm left handed so it's not so easy to find a ball on the rack drilled for a lefty.
Tom,
Use a good household degreasing detergent (simply orange or similar) to remove old OIL. Dry. Then use denatured alcohol to further clean the surface. DO NOT WAX OR APPLY ANY OTHER MATERAIL TO THE BALL. If you must, use the ball conditioner at the alley. The ball is intended to be as clean as possible to work correctly with the alley. If you apply any other coating, other than a cleaner (Tac-up) you will interfere with the path the ball will take on its way to the pins.
Also, do not try to have polish the ball, you will ruin it. The above are a temporary 'fix'. Balls absorb oil from the lanes, and the only way to completely clean the ball is drop it off at a pro shop for a few days to have it cleaned and resurfaced.
If you would like to discuss more, drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
Sponsored Links
  #23  
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Tom,
Use a good household degreasing detergent (simply orange or similar) to remove old OIL. Dry. Then use denatured alcohol to further clean the surface. DO NOT WAX OR APPLY ANY OTHER MATERAIL TO THE BALL. If you must, use the ball conditioner at the alley. The ball is intended to be as clean as possible to work correctly with the alley. If you apply any other coating, other than a cleaner (Tac-up) you will interfere with the path the ball will take on its way to the pins.
Also, do not try to have polish the ball, you will ruin it. The above are a temporary 'fix'. Balls absorb oil from the lanes, and the only way to completely clean the ball is drop it off at a pro shop for a few days to have it cleaned and resurfaced.
If you would like to discuss more, drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number.
thank-you
How about Goo Gone?
  #24  
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,394
Default

Tomwed, let us know how it goes. VT gives good advice regarding cleaning a ball, but let's not forget it's a 50 plus year old rubber ball that will most likely slide on the newer lane surfaces of today, it won't grab the lane and react to the conditioning on the lane, and it will most likely go pretty straight down the lane. But, as long as it doesn't bother your hand, it probably doesn't matter much.
  #25  
Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM
hoseman hoseman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Tomwed, let us know how it goes. VT gives good advice regarding cleaning a ball, but let's not forget it's a 50 plus year old rubber ball that will most likely slide on the newer lane surfaces of today, it won't grab the lane and react to the conditioning on the lane, and it will most likely go pretty straight down the lane. But, as long as it doesn't bother your hand, it probably doesn't matter much.
"Newer lane surfaces"...different kind of oil or what?
  #26  
Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,977
Default

My friend at work had the right idea when it comes to bowling or golf. He used to say "if I can break a hundred in either game, I'm happy".
  #27  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 5,181
Default

All, there is actually a list of approved cleaning agents on the USBC website: BOWL.com | Home
Goo Gone is NOT on the list, and is actually a lubricant, and will ruin the ball surface until it is removed.
Also, the lanes were at one time wood, they are now almost all synthetic and react much more differently then wood lanes. Also, the approaches now tend to be synthetic, and actually RESIST sliding. I was found some time ago that you can get more power (aka speed) to the ball if you do not slide.
Hope this helps.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #28  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
"Newer lane surfaces"...different kind of oil or what?
The surface is synthetic, unlike the wood lanes that we grew up bowling on. Though we used rubber and plastic bowling balls back then, a bowler could get the ball to hook for a number of reasons. A couple of those being less oil to the outside of the lane, or a deep track worn into a certain area of the lane that most people used. Those areas provided friction for the ball to "grab ahold of" thus creating a hook of some sort.
The newer synthetic lanes by nature do not allow for a high degree of friction, unless there is a very minimal amount of oil applied to the lane. The newer bowling balls today are resin or composite resin based, with either a symmetric or asemetric weight block. Under a microscope, the surface would be very porous, thus creating friction and a hook to some extent.
The old rubber ball that Tomwed has does not have a porous surface. Matching a non porous surface to a synthetic lane surface with a decent amount of oil, that is a recipe for a straight ball and not a whole lot of fun.
  #29  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
that is a recipe for a straight ball and not a whole lot of fun.
I would probably have more fun with a ball that breaks. But unless I get hooked I don't see myself going very often. It's just a neighborhood someone is putting together.

Last edited by tomwed; 01-29-2016 at 08:54 PM.
  #30  
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I would probably have more fun with a ball that breaks. But unless I get hooked I don't see myself going very often. It's just a neighborhood someone is putting together.
Bowling equipment, like golf equipment can get expensive. If your neighbors do get you hooked, buy a used "resin" ball and have it redrilled.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, thumb, hole, associate, bowling, sales, measured, pro, experienced, fit, proper, advice, bowler, league, put, i’ve, yesterday, store, pitch, bowlers, shoes, play, completely, refit, “take

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.