Villages Touch Football - Interested?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Default Villages Touch Football - Interested?

I moved into The Villages 3 weeks ago. I'd like to find some guys with whom I can play two hand touch football. The time would be 9 AM or 10 AM Sunday mornings. I think it works best with 4 or 5 to a side. Teams would be different every week, but with an effort to make them fairly equal.

The basic rules would be:
No equipment other than soft spike shoes if you want them.
Two hand touch; defender makes the call.
Field is based upon what is available, but basically something around 50 yds x maybe 25 yds, marked by little plastic orange cones at corners and midfield.
One defender rushes after counting aloud to one thousand three. If there are an odd number of players, short team is always defense, and pass must be thrown by count of one thousand four. One player simply switches teams upon change of possession.
NO BLOCKING CONTACT! However, you may get in the way of someone.
Unless someone cannot throw and declines, players rotate as quarterback in each drive.
Usually we have had a "pass only" rule, because we found it too easy to simply run. I am open to input on that based upon what players who show up on any given day want to try.
No 10 yard first down rule. No X number of completions result in first down. In each drive you can only get a first down by getting to midfield with 4 downs. After midfield, you have 4 downs to score. This keeps it simple, and has worked out very well.

I played this for many years in Pennsylvania. It is fun, with little risk of imjury as long as you can sprint a little without pulling a muscle.

Location wise, maybe eventually we can officially get a place in The Villages, but for now it would be wherever we find a spot. Maybe a park outside The Villages, maybe we could just go use a Villages softball outfield without any hassle. Anyone know if softball games are played Sunday mornings?

You are invited to join me if you want to have friendly games, centered upon passing and catching skills, not brute force, and place more importance upon everyone having a good time than upon winning at all costs.

Initially, I will restrict players to those age 60 or over. If we are shorthanded with that, then we'd have to lower the age. I guess it would be open to females, but none ever wanted to play in Pennsylvania. Maybe there are some here who have played before and would like to do it again.

Post here if interested. If you want to also send me a private message, that is ok too.

Bill

Last edited by maybe; 11-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

you probably should call one of the rec centers they may be able to help you secure a playing field
Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Sounds interesting........will continue to follow thread before committing. Sunday morning is difficult for me as I am committed to another Village event.

Good luck with this endeavor and please continue to post updates on status.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Here's one female who might be interested. Used to love playing touch football (ah, heck, loved tackle more) when I was much, much younger. Haven't played in a few decades, though. So, can I be added to the list as maybe a reserve?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Sounds like a cool idea.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Here's one female who might be interested. Used to love playing touch football (ah, heck, loved tackle more) when I was much, much younger. Haven't played in a few decades, though. So, can I be added to the list as maybe a reserve?
Sure, but there is no need to limit yourself to reserve unless you want to play only occasionally.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Gold member

I'm interested. A few years back I played in another community and we found that "Flag Football" posed less of a risk of injury than contact (2-hand touch) did. Keep posting if you get PM inquiries. Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 PM

Update:
Not quite enough players yet, but close. Mention it to any of your friends who might be interested and have the right attitude for fun, yet safe, games.

I played 2 hand touch for many years and the only injury to anyone I recall was a bad jam to my left little finger when a younger-than-the-rest-of-us quarterback threw me the ball at a speed too fast and too close for me to properly catch it.

I have not received any PMs on it. I do have a friend who wants to play.

Keep alert for opportunities to buy a football. Having various players bringing a ball increases the chance that we'll have a good one to use, even when a player or two cannot make it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.