Water Volley Ball rules

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2016, 03:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Water Volley Ball rules

I've been showing up for the organized basic water volleyball, and find it quite a kick. The organized basic rules I'm familiar with are 1) the serve is throwing, not hitting the ball 2) receivers of the serve can choose to catch the ball if they don't feel it would be easy to put into play, and then the point starts over 3) must have at least 2 touches per side, but there is no max hits.

Last week I showed up for an organized basic game, and they divided up the courts where the one I was playing on had modified rules. 1) the serve was hit over the net, like a regular volleyball serve, but could not be hit down and since it was a beginner group, you had one mulligan each time you served if you couldn't hit a serve over 2)if the serve hit the water on the other side without being touched (an ace) it was worth 2 points, so you had to try to return every serve 3)the ball must have at least three touches per side, but still no max.

I was wondering how close the second game is to intermediate water volleyball rules. I really liked that you had to go for the serve. I find the worst part of my beginner game is trying to throw the ball exactly to a person's sweet spot on bumping.

From what I've seen of advanced, folks have overhead serves, and if the server is tall enough, the ball could be going down. They can have one touch per side, but it may only be on a block. I couldn't tell if there was a max of three touches per side, because they always got it over in three. (And I doubt I'd ever get good enough to play advanced...)
Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 PM

There is instructions and play on Wednesdays at SeaBreeze . Fun and informative.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Gold member

I will say that the rules and the intensity of play vary widely from pool to pool. In some locations they (those who seem to be in charge) are strict about how teams are selected and how they want the game played. IMHO, these games are not fun, but rather very competitive. I've compared it to being back in Jr. High as you wait to be selected. The good news is, there are water volleyball groups that get together to just have fun and get some good exercise. We play at Mulberry on Tuesdays and Thursday's and have made many good friends in a fun, non combative group. While we do keep score, it's not important, it just helps us when to know when to change sides.

Please feel free to join us, Tuesday's at 3p and Thursday's at 1p. Everybody's welcome and we always have fun!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
I will say that the rules and the intensity of play vary widely from pool to pool. In some locations they (those who seem to be in charge) are strict about how teams are selected and how they want the game played. IMHO, these games are not fun, but rather very competitive. I've compared it to being back in Jr. High as you wait to be selected. The good news is, there are water volleyball groups that get together to just have fun and get some good exercise. We play at Mulberry on Tuesdays and Thursday's and have made many good friends in a fun, non combative group. While we do keep score, it's not important, it just helps us when to know when to change sides.

Please feel free to join us, Tuesday's at 3p and Thursday's at 1p. Everybody's welcome and we always have fun!
Is your Mulberry group considered basic or intermediate? Sounds like a nice group for me...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Gold member

We are a basic group that keeps getting a little better the more we play.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
serve, ball, side, hit, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.