What weight for bowling balls?

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran member
Default What weight for bowling balls?

I had bowling as a phys. ed. class in college and was in a league for a couple of years a long time ago. A buddy was visiting the other weekend and for laughs we decided to go bowling. While I enjoyed it and plan on taking up bowling once we move to TV (we bought a house but can retire for another 18 months or so), I found that my old ball had grown a LOT heavier since I last used it! I may have done OK with a 16-lb ball when I was in my 30s but now that I've hit 60 (even though I'm in pretty good shape), I'm forced to realize that I need to move to something lighter. How heavy a ball do most male bowlers at my age seem to prefer? My wife has a 14-lb ball that she hasn't used in years and is not as strong as she once was either. What kind of weight ball to women in their early 60s seem to prefer?

Also, how easy is it to get on a league in TV? Our only league experience was joining one that friends already belonged to. Can you just walk up to a bowling alley and ask if any team is looking for a pair of thoroughly mediocre (but bound to improve!) bowlers? And what generally are the seasons for most leagues?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM

I can help with some info. Some quick background. I have participated on the Profesional Bowlers Assoc for 30 years until I just got old and hurt, but still try at a competitive level. I also own, as one of my businesses still in NY, a Bowling Retail outlet and Pro Services.

I bought a house here in 2013 and wanted to bowl leagues. I went to both Fiesta Bowl and Spanish Springs Lanes and contacted League Secretaries and talked to many League bowlers. It was quite easy to find open spots. Also, there are often League Sign up sheets. Check at the desk.

Leagues are offered year round in both centers. Mixed leagues, handicap leagues, men's, women's, and serious scratch competitive leagues. Very nice bowling centers with great staff.

As to ball weights, without seeing your physical size and general condition, it is a little difficult to be precise on what is your best weight ball to use. But here is some info.

Very few men use 16 lb. balls today. The balls are so much stronger today than years back and have weight blocks internally that can enhance how the ball rolls, hooks and performs.

Many of the seniors can still throw 15, but some have gone down to 14. Throw away your old equipment and get new. You will be amazed at the new technology in equipment and how they can help you score.

For your wife, if she was throwing 14, probably 13 would be fine for her. Years ago, the lower weight would deflect a little as they hit the pins. Today, they all roll so much stronger.

Stop in at the Pro Shops in the centers and talk to the Pro guys. They all have been out on the Pro Tour and two of them are National Title holders.

Hope this helps some.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Most men use 15, including pros. Some roll 14 without much loss of carry. Women 13 would be best followed by 12. Whatever anyone rolls, you must be comfortable with it.

Bowling ball changes faster than golf...the standard senerio is a plastic ball for spares (mainly 10 pin for a right handler) and one or two more with different hooking properties.

When you get to TV, talk with the folks at the Pro Shop and take their advice. A professional fit is critical and what fits good in a dryer, cooler climate may not here.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage

Is there a league that only allows one ball per bowler? <ducks>

Heh. Kinda kidding but kinda not. I'm pretty old school when it comes to bowling...and it would be nice to sit in the chairs down by the ball returns where all the extra balls are sitting.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Is there a league that only allows one ball per bowler? <ducks>

Heh. Kinda kidding but kinda not. I'm pretty old school when it comes to bowling...and it would be nice to sit in the chairs down by the ball returns where all the extra balls are sitting.
Polar Bear, you know those good old days of one ball are long gone!! Although, we can still use one if we want. With these high scoring house shots, I think one ball can work just great.

The real question is "Which One" do I use. Way too many to choose from.

And you are right. Maybe if less balls are used, we just might have some seats available to use for people instead of balls.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

People use multiple balls? Whoa... I am out of date on bowling!

I should have known that technology has improved bowling, just like it has golf, tennis and other sports. I've just been so busy with my career that I've really let participating in sports stay firmly in the back seat, getting ignored. Now with the career winding down, I'm looking forward to getting back into some of the sports I used to enjoy (golf, bowling, pool, archery) and maybe trying some new ones (pickleball, air guns, etc.).

Thanks for the replies! As always, TOTV is ever helpful!
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, bowling, league, move, years, weight, bowlers, prefer, 60s, early, 14-lb, easy, heavy, women, kind, age, wife, male, strong, improve, generally, bound, mediocre, pair, seasons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.