100 days until NFL Regular Season Kick-off.

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

Groucho Marx, believe it or not said this...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."

Good find Bucco.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Baseball, America's True Patriotic sport.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 AM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is in the Sports Talk section. Please use this thread to discuss NFL football and the upcoming season. DO NOT turn this thread into another discussion of the kneeling policy or the protests some players are employing. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Well said Moderator.

I look forward every year to not only the opening of the season, but reporting to camp, the camp reports and of course exhibiton games relative to measuring some of the big name draftees.

This year will bring a crop of rookie QB's to the field and will watch their progression from camp through the season.

I might add, as others have.....I love college football. I think the two games are totally different, not only from the standpoint of the fans, but also it is just a different game.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage

Looking forward to seeing the new Giants running back, Barkley, and if the o-line is fixed. If not, it's going to be another long season.

I am hopeful the o-line will be improved and the offense has a lot of threats. Just give Manning time to throw the ball.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Well said Moderator.

I look forward every year to not only the opening of the season, but reporting to camp, the camp reports and of course exhibiton games relative to measuring some of the big name draftees.

This year will bring a crop of rookie QB's to the field and will watch their progression from camp through the season.

I might add, as others have.....I love college football. I think the two games are totally different, not only from the standpoint of the fans, but also it is just a different game.
Yep.

Still rooting for the GOAT...to get one more.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been watching the NFL since 1958 when the Baltimore Colts won the first championship game to go into sudden death over-time. I can remember the next day on the school bus, that's all everybody was talking about. The following year in '59 the Colts won it again over the same team, the NY Giants. I have autographs by Johnny Unitas, Raymond Berry, Gino Marchetti, Lenny Lyles and Jim Parker from that team. I have two favorite teams now, the Baltimore Ravens and whoever is playing the Steelers.

Two of my all-time favorite Ravens. Safety Ed Reed intercepting a Colin Kaepernick pass in Super Bowl 47 and #52 linebacker Ray Lewis one of the greatest to ever play the game.

The Villages Florida

One of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time, Baltimore Colts John Unitas #19

The Villages Florida

1998 the Colts, now from Indianapolis, came back to Baltimore to play for the first time against the Ravens. Johnny Unitas hands the game ball over to the Ravens to signify he is now with Baltimore and not the Colts. Does anyone know who the #4 was on the right, hint: he's a quarterback and now a head coach?

The Villages Florida
Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've been watching the NFL since 1958 when the Baltimore Colts won the first championship game to go into sudden death over-time. I can remember the next day on the school bus, that's all everybody was talking about. The following year in '59 the Colts won it again over the same team, the NY Giants. I have autographs by Johnny Unitas, Raymond Berry, Gino Marchetti, Lenny Lyles and Jim Parker from that team. I have two favorite teams now, the Baltimore Ravens and whoever is playing the Steelers.

Two of my all-time favorite Ravens. Safety Ed Reed intercepting a Colin Kaepernick pass in Super Bowl 47 and #52 linebacker Ray Lewis one of the greatest to ever play the game.

The Villages Florida

One of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time, Baltimore Colts John Unitas #19

The Villages Florida

1998 the Colts, now from Indianapolis, came back to Baltimore to play for the first time against the Ravens. Johnny Unitas hands the game ball over to the Ravens to signify he is now with Baltimore and not the Colts. Does anyone know who the #4 was on the right, hint: he's a quarterback and now a head coach?

The Villages Florida
Your post stirred memories of Johnny U dropping back and Ray Berry running a down and out.

John Harbaugh, right ?

By the way, I am not a Colt fan but a huge Johnny U fan. Football in the playground where you could be anyone you wanted, he was always my choice.

Grew up in W Pa so started with the Steelers, then after college, marriage ended up a die hard Eagle fan during some really bad times. Had season tickets for a number of years (long boring story how I got them). Since we moved here in 1998, I have adopted the Bucs....actually had season tix for them for a few years because when they opened the new stadium seats became available. Of course they were on the 50, BUT way way up high and believe it or not, the sun was the issue....for a Western Pa guy, that was amazing for football tix.

Last edited by Bucco; 05-30-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Your post stirred memories of Johnny U dropping back and Ray Berry running a down and out.

John Harbaugh, right ?
No, John never played in the NFL, it's his brother Jim now the head coach of Michigan. He was the Ravens QB when their new stadium opened in 1998, most people only associate him with the Colts in Indy.

Talking about Johnny U memories. I was at Colts camp in August 1968 and you could stand on the sidelines of the practice field right next to the players. There would only be about 50 people watching back then, nowadays they have thousands. I'm standing there watching and a Cadillac convertible pulls right up on the football field. Out steps Gino Marchetti in a suit. Bubba Smith was a rookie just drafted by the Colts. Gino, who had just retired, gets out in his suit in 90 degree heat, takes off his jacket and starts coaching up Bubba right on the field and just leaves his car there.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 05-30-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, John never played in the NFL, it's his brother Jim now the head coach of Michigan. He was the Ravens QB when their new stadium opened in 1998, most people only associate him with the Colts in Indy.

Talking about Johnny U memories. I was at Colts camp in August 1968 and you could stand on the sidelines of the practice field right next to the players. There would only be about 50 people watching back then, nowadays they have thousands. I'm standing there watching and a Cadillac convertible pulls right up on the football field. Out steps Gino Marchetti in a suit. Bubba Watson was a rookie just drafted by the Colts. Gino, who had just retired, gets out in his suit in 90 degree heat, takes off his jacket and starts coaching up Bubba right on the field and just leaves his car there.

The Villages Florida
BUT I had the right family
Old 05-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Understandable mistake John, but Bubba Watson is way too skinny to have played in the NFL. Bubba Smith was the original Bubba.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Understandable mistake John, but Bubba Watson is way too skinny to have played in the NFL. Bubba Smith was the original Bubba.
I've been watching too much golf. I use to love those Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus Miller Lite commercials, 'Tennis Anyone'.
Quote:
...then after college, marriage ended up a die hard Eagle fan during some really bad times. Had season tickets for a number of years (long boring story how I got them). Since we moved here in 1998, I have adopted the Bucs....actually had season tix for them for a few years because when they opened the new stadium seats became available. Of course they were on the 50, BUT way way up high and believe it or not, the sun was the issue....for a Western Pa guy, that was amazing for football tix.
I'm sort of a Bucs fan as well. I was living in St. Pete in 1976 when they announced the franchise was coming. However, I moved to Pensacola in '77 and never saw them play, although those first few years weren't very good. Since I'm a big FSU fan, the Bucs drafted Jameis Winston, so now I again pull for the Bucs. Eagles I like a lot, was glad they won the Super Bowl. Also like the Jags, defensive team like the Ravens and I liked Blake Bortles when he played at UCF.

I remember going to preseason games at the old Tampa stadium, they didn't even have endzone seats until '77. I even saw Pele play a soccer game there against the TB Rowdies. In '72 there was talk of the Colts moving to Tampa, it was just Irsay trying to leverage more out of Baltimore at the time.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've been watching too much golf. I use to love those Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus Miller Lite commercials, 'Tennis Anyone'.

I'm sort of a Bucs fan as well. I was living in St. Pete in 1976 when they announced the franchise was coming. However, I moved to Pensacola in '77 and never saw them play, although those first few years weren't very good. Since I'm a big FSU fan, the Bucs drafted Jameis Winston, so now I again pull for the Bucs. Eagles I like a lot, was glad they won the Super Bowl. Also like the Jags, defensive team like the Ravens and I liked Blake Bortles when he played at UCF.

I remember going to preseason games at the old Tampa stadium, they didn't even have endzone seats until '77. I even saw Pele play a soccer game there against the TB Rowdies. In '72 there was talk of the Colts moving to Tampa, it was just Irsay trying to leverage more out of Baltimore at the time.
So much in your post to disagree on but much to agree.

I am not an FSU fan..go gators, but of course hope Jameis gets it together this year. He has been an "almost good QB" and makes too many mistakes, but when he is thinking, has a great arm

Blake Bortles....what to say. Shocked when he was drafted so high, but I became a fan. Despite the criticism, he stays the course but admittedly, he can give you Agita. But they have built some defense in JAX, and he might be just the right guy.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Just want to point out that Johnny Football starts for Montreal on ESPN2 tonight at 7:30 after only a week of practice....
Last chance for Manziel.
Closed Thread

Tags
season, nfl, days, approaching, fast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.