Colin Kaepernick as a Patriot or Panther.

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
That's off topic but I'll answer it just for you.

If a player is found to be taking drugs against the NFL (workplace) policy they should be disciplined in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Plain and simple.

If a player makes racially derogatory statements in the public realm while not representing their team I consider that free speech. I would probably not care much for that person but there is no law against being a racist.

As far as my opinion about the government getting involved, that would fall under politics which you so often like to remind us is forbidden on this site.
thanks for the reply
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Execrable behavior.

The execrable behavior of Kaepernick is directly on the shoulders of the National Football League and whatever team he played for when he began the "taking the knee" during the National Anthem.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has decided that disrespect for the American Flag, including burning it, is protected as "Free Speech" under the First Amendment. Presumably, this extends to disrespect for the National Anthem.

However, both the NFL and the team for which Kaepernick played had the power to regulate the behavior of their employees, to include being fired for disrespect for the Anthem.

I know this because I have spent decades working for an agency that could and would fire an employee for using what we now euphemistically call "the N word." It was included in the Standard Operating Procedures for the agency, which all employees had to agree to adhere to as a condition of employment.

In the case of players in the NFL, an identical rule could be made, either by the League or an individual team, in which a person who disrespected the Anthem, either on or off the field, would bring dismissal.

They have chosen not to do it. Accordingly, they are culpable for the behavior of Kaepernick. It's as simple as that.

And, of course, just because a person takes advantage of the First Amendment, that does not make him a hero. Kaepernick's behavior was, and is, execrable.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The execrable behavior of Kaepernick is directly on the shoulders of the National Football League and whatever team he played for when he began the "taking the knee" during the National Anthem.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has decided that disrespect for the American Flag, including burning it, is protected as "Free Speech" under the First Amendment. Presumably, this extends to disrespect for the National Anthem.

However, both the NFL and the team for which Kaepernick played had the power to regulate the behavior of their employees, to include being fired for disrespect for the Anthem.

I know this because I have spent decades working for an agency that could and would fire an employee for using what we now euphemistically call "the N word." It was included in the Standard Operating Procedures for the agency, which all employees had to agree to adhere to as a condition of employment.

In the case of players in the NFL, an identical rule could be made, either by the League or an individual team, in which a person who disrespected the Anthem, either on or off the field, would bring dismissal.

They have chosen not to do it. Accordingly, they are culpable for the behavior of Kaepernick. It's as simple as that.

And, of course, just because a person takes advantage of the First Amendment, that does not make him a hero. Kaepernick's behavior was, and is, execrable.

Nice to see you. You have not posted in a while.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Platinum member
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post

Nice to see you. You have not posted in a while.
Thanks. I've had some health issues that kept me down for a while. It's nice to be missed.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up Estimable behavior!

Actually, CK's actions (with the full knowledge that people would try and spin it into something it wasn't)...was estimable.

It takes much more courage, ethics and integrity to stand up for something that is right, but may be subject to criticism...than it does to join a bully mob.

Particularly when it involves so many dog-whistles and a willingness to look the other way/brush it off...because it doesn't affect yourself.

I'll even bet very few read the entire link...I put in Post#24.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...90-post24.html

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-18-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for summing it up so succinctly, Carl. It is very good to have you back. I have missed your insightful well thought out posts.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:

Written as if all in this post was fact. The use of "could" tells you a lot.

I feel his behavior was poor, as was the use of the flag by the Tea Party years ago. Difference was the reaction by the United States Government, which involved itself, and declined to defend the action, no matter your opinion of that action, as free speech, and instead began a concerted effort OPENLY to influence the NFL to take action. I would assume this kind of interference, no matter the issue, would be acceptable to you...my judgement based on this post.

It "COULD" be nterpeted as our government refusing to acknowledge free speech.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
He was a great player and is a great patriot. Put back on the field.
You win, two jokes while using only 10 words, but you forgot your smiley face Let me show something

The guy in blue is a Patriot

The Villages Florida

These guys are patriots

The Villages Florida

This guy, not so much

The Villages Florida
Old 02-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Sage

Time for some more of those pesky...facts.

Patriot | Define Patriot at Dictionary.com
Quote:

patriot

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Let me show something

The guy in blue is a Patriot

The Villages Florida

Let me ask something.

Please explain exactly how you determined, since you only referenced one of them, that the other two people in the photo...are not "patriots?"
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Let me ask you something.

Please explain exactly how you determined that the other two people in the photo...are not "patriots?"
I will wait for John to respond, but it appears to be obvious.

My bet would be he ignores the question.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Sage

First off, is your eyesight that bad? You know that can be corrected, we all don't need the large fonts to read. Glasses, check them out.

Quote:
patriot

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.
The first definition reinforces my post; police officers, military, people who defend our country with Devotion are patriots.

The second definition deals with our federal government. From the newspapers, Kaepernick is protesting the treatment of blacks by the police in our country. POLICE departments work for the city, county or state in which they patrol, not the FEDERAL government. Maybe you didn't know that, but that's the way it works. Therefore, Kap is NO patriot.

If he were protesting treatment of blacks by the FBI, Secret Service, US Fish & Wildlife Service, etc., then you would have something there, but you don't.

So remember everybody, if you see a guy like this giving black people a hard time, then someone would need to tell Kap so he include Park Rangers in his protests.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:

Let me ask something.

Please explain exactly how you determined, since you only referenced one of them, that the other two people in the photo...are not "patriots?"
Did you forget your definition already? Defending our country with Devotion. Since they're not pictured in uniform I cannot classify them as patriots until I have more information. The Police Officer, that's an easy one, he's the guy in blue, he's the one defending those people pictured next to him since he wears the gun.

School is out for today.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Starting down slippery slope......
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:

Let me ask something.

Maybe they are cops working undercover.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
kaepernick, football, field, bone-headed, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.