Julian Edelman

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2021, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts
Default Julian Edelman

Jules, one of my absolute favorite all time athletes is officially retiring. The guy was a undersized running quarterback at a secondary football university, Kent State, and was not even on most NFL teams draft board. Bill Belichick saw something special in the guy and drafted him late in the 7th round as a project that might work out because the guy simply was a "football player with heart". Bill converted him into a punt returner and wide receiver project that no one expected to make the team. He made the team, and became the best punt returner in NFL history. He also replaced Wes Welker as probably the best slot receiver in NFL history. His performance in the clutch (the playoffs) as a wide receiver is second only to the legendary Jerry Rice. Jules threw touchdown passes, played cornerback on defense, returned punts, slot receiver, outside receiver, and did anything else the coach asked of him. Jules finished his career with three Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. He was absolutely the most dedicated, crazy, versatile, unselfish, fearless, and overachieving football player ever. Thanks for all the memories : )
Old 04-13-2021, 05:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I saw him play at a few games I attended in person and I completely agree. On TV you didn’t always see the different positions and plays he made. He did so much more to help the team win besides receiving the ball. An amazing player.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Jules, one of my absolute favorite all time athletes is officially retiring. The guy was a undersized running quarterback at a secondary football university, Kent State, and was not even on most NFL teams draft board. Bill Belichick saw something special in the guy and drafted him late in the 7th round as a project that might work out because the guy simply was a "football player with heart". Bill converted him into a punt returner and wide receiver project that no one expected to make the team. He made the team, and became the best punt returner in NFL history. He also replaced Wes Welker as probably the best slot receiver in NFL history. His performance in the clutch (the playoffs) as a wide receiver is second only to the legendary Jerry Rice. Jules threw touchdown passes, played cornerback on defense, returned punts, slot receiver, outside receiver, and did anything else the coach asked of him. Jules finished his career with three Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. He was absolutely the most dedicated, crazy, versatile, unselfish, fearless, and overachieving football player ever. Thanks for all the memories : )
Julian was an exceptional player and teammate. The catch against the Falcons was a tribute to his athleticism and fearlessness.
I hope he continues as a coach. He has a lot to offer personally and professionally.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
Julian was an exceptional player and teammate. The catch against the Falcons was a tribute to his athleticism and fearlessness.
I hope he continues as a coach. He has a lot to offer personally and professionally.
Lived in Boston area for 20 years - much of it, the heyday of SB Patriots. "The catch" epitomized the training and focus of many on that team during those times. Edelman was the poster-guy with those attributes. But all good things come to an end. Certainly hope that his health is fine, and that he finds a fulfilling future in other endeavors.

My daughter-in-law met him at a party many years ago, she hugged him. And told us all that his bicep was like solid granite....
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

It's deflating to learn of his retirement.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
He made the team, and became the best punt returner in NFL history.
Huh?

Great player but nowhere near the greatest punt returner.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

excellent player, he'll be missed
Old 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
I agree. I always enjoyed watching him play. I wish him the best.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 AM

Agreed! And I’m no Patriot fan.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
You could not have described him better. Tougher than nails, definitely a Hall of Fame quality player.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
You could not have described him better. Tougher than nails, definitely a Hall of Fame quality player.
Tougher than nails, yes. Hall of Famer, no.

New York, South Carolina, California, North Carolina, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Virginia and now The Village of Winifred.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
Great, gutsy player, but HOF status is all about stats and JE doesn't have the numbers to even be considered. There are a number of receivers that have better numbers that aren't in and may never be. JE was never named All Pro or even selected to a Pro Bowl and I don't think there are any modern players in without those basic qualifiers.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM

He’ll be on the Tampa team soon....
Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
It's deflating to learn of his retirement.
Seems to have slipped by unnoticed!
Old 04-14-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I saw my first patriot game while home on leave they played the game in Harvard stadium in 1960. If they ever create a hall of fame just for tough guys or clutch playoff guys he’s in but for the regular hall of fame until Hines Ward gets
In Edelman is not even in the conversation
Closed Thread

Tags
receiver, guy, football, nfl, jules

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.