Julian Edelman

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

An amazing player and an amazing individual.

What is incredible is that a sixth round draft choice, 199th over all, paired up with a seventh round draft choice 232nd overall to become one of the greatest quarterback/receiver combinations in the history of the NFL.

Edelman will surely be missed but I am not surprised. He was very banged up over his career and you could see this coming.

Thank you Julian for all the thrills.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 04-16-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Edelman was exceptional
True, that it's all about the numbers. That's all tv commentators talk about and all they know which is why some of them are clueless about the game they are commenting on.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 AM

thanks for the background research on Edelman. Been seeing headlines & column titles about his retirement & wondered about him but not wondering enough to do the research. Your description s & comments are way better than Wikipedia! Appreciate your postings & knowledge.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Jules, one of my absolute favorite all time athletes is officially retiring. The guy was a undersized running quarterback at a secondary football university, Kent State, and was not even on most NFL teams draft board. Bill Belichick saw something special in the guy and drafted him late in the 7th round as a project that might work out because the guy simply was a "football player with heart". Bill converted him into a punt returner and wide receiver project that no one expected to make the team. He made the team, and became the best punt returner in NFL history. He also replaced Wes Welker as probably the best slot receiver in NFL history. His performance in the clutch (the playoffs) as a wide receiver is second only to the legendary Jerry Rice. Jules threw touchdown passes, played cornerback on defense, returned punts, slot receiver, outside receiver, and did anything else the coach asked of him. Jules finished his career with three Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. He was absolutely the most dedicated, crazy, versatile, unselfish, fearless, and overachieving football player ever. Thanks for all the memories : )
You forgot outstanding down field blocker. One of the best I've seen was more than willing to sacrifice himself. I often wondered what his career would look like if he played more receiver those first four years as he sat behind Wes Welker.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:15 AM

Must be a Patriot fan
Old 04-14-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I saw my first patriot game while home on leave they played the game in Harvard stadium in 1960.
When I was a Cub Scout in the 60's one of the Dads took us to see a Pats game at Fenway Park.

People forget how low rent the Pats were before Kraft bought the team.

My favorite Foxboro Stadium/bad Pats team story is one where a guy goes Xmass shopping at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree the Saturday before the last game of the season. Pats had only won a few games that year. He takes his 2 tickets for Sundays game and leaves them on his windshield with a "2 free tickets" sign.

He comes back from shopping and finds 4 tickets on his windshield.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:21 PM

Great Post! The last piece of a Great Dynasty
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
You forgot outstanding down field blocker. One of the best I've seen was more than willing to sacrifice himself. I often wondered what his career would look like if he played more receiver those first four years as he sat behind Wes Welker.
Great point, and let’s not forget what a ferocious hitter he was when he played defense. He easily could have been an awesome defensive secondary player. I will never forget the play early in the Super Bowl against Seattle when TB12 threw an interception in the red zone and Jules took out the cornerback who intercepted the pass with one of the most ferocious tackles I have ever seen. If I remember correctly, he broke the guys arm, tore his ACL, and concussed him all on the same hit. Then for the rest of the game, Jules abused the guy who replaced the guy he took out.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Over the many decades of being a Pats fan (now a Bucs - Brady fan also)...really got to appreciate some of the outstanding smaller players with huge "hearts/competitiveness", skills, talent and clutch performances. The guys for me on this list include Edelman, Troy Brown and Welker - they made watching football so much better.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 04-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default I wasn’t around those years playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
When I was a Cub Scout in the 60's one of the Dads took us to see a Pats game at Fenway Park.

People forget how low rent the Pats were before Kraft bought the team.

My favorite Foxboro Stadium/bad Pats team story is one where a guy goes Xmass shopping at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree the Saturday before the last game of the season. Pats had only won a few games that year. He takes his 2 tickets for Sundays game and leaves them on his windshield with a "2 free tickets" sign.

He comes back from shopping and finds 4 tickets on his windshield.
playing at Fenway , I was busy playing in those Southeast Asia hot spots , but my dad loved seeing them play there . I didn’t get to be a Cub Scout but a month short of my 16 birthday in 1953 I found myself in the first parachute battalion of the French Foreign Legion , very long story lol
Old 04-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I saw my first patriot game while home on leave they played the game in Harvard stadium in 1960. If they ever create a hall of fame just for tough guys or clutch playoff guys he’s in but for the regular hall of fame until Hines Ward gets
In Edelman is not even in the conversation
My father took me their first home game against the Denver Broncos Sept 9, 1960 at BU Field (later renamed Nickerson Field. I was nine years old and I hardly remember anything about it.

I also saw them play at Harvard Stadium in the 1970 with Joe Kapp at quarterback. They went 2-12 that year and people were giving tickets away.

A lot of people outside New England don't realize how bad and for how long the Patriots were bad. I think that's one of the reason that there is so much excitement over the winning teams of the 21st century. We were making up for 40 years of sucking.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
receiver, guy, football, nfl, jules

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.