NFL'S New Policy Regarding National Anthem

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Sage
Default NFL'S New Policy Regarding National Anthem

At first, I was happy the NFL made it mandatory for all players to stand for the national anthem.

On closer review, they said the players could stay in the locker room if they decided to not stand for the anthem. If the players are on the field and don't stand for the anthem, their respective teams will be fined and not the players themselves.

This seems to me to be a wishy washy policy as they are trying to appease everyone. The general public and the players both.

All players should stand for the anthem. IMHO

Just a weak attempt to protect the owners bottom line as their revenues and viewing audience declined.

For the owners, it's always been and always will be about the money.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Its not strong enough, if owners pay, hit them real hard in the pocket~
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
...For the owners, it's always been and always will be about the money.
If it’s not at least in large part about the money, they won’t be owners for long.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage

I think the game will fade away.

Last edited by tomwed; 05-24-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM

I would love to see all those multi million $$ players kneel, flop on the ground, drop their drawers or perform any other disrespectful act they can think of.
Then fine them heavily and give the money to deserving military, and LOD police families. Then find a way to fine those who support these players and NFL football.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

All good until someone tries to shut you down for saying or supporting what you believe. If what goes on infuriates folks then the best solution, IMO, is to stop watching the games, buying the products or supporting the sport. That would be exercising your free speech rights. Some have done that, and as a result this compromise was reached. If we are unsatisfied with this, continue to boycott but don't be a hypocrite by condemning the actions of the players or the owners and then turning on the games to watch.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

It is usually about the money. At least, some people are talking about the issues that the protesters wanted to raise. I have a branch of my family tree which is African-American as well as Jamaican-American (depending how you use these labels) and racism is still a very deeply felt problem according to the in-laws I have had substantial conversations with. About 11 years ago my late younger brother married a woman from Jamaica who had also been a SEAL TEAM support system staffer.

The NFL Commissioner and others made a concession to both sides.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-24-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM

It's okay with me if the NFL goes out of business. I haven't watched in years.
I don't even go to super bowl parties any more.
The puppy bowl has the only animals I like to watch play football.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
At first, I was happy the NFL made it mandatory for all players to stand for the national anthem.

On closer review, they said the players could stay in the locker room if they decided to not stand for the anthem. If the players are on the field and don't stand for the anthem, their respective teams will be fined and not the players themselves.

This seems to me to be a wishy washy policy as they are trying to appease everyone. The general public and the players both.

All players should stand for the anthem. IMHO

Just a weak attempt to protect the owners bottom line as their revenues and viewing audience declined.

2BNTV, "All players should stand for the Anthem". I couldn't agree more. I remember almost going into orbit when this issue started. I am not going to beat a dead horse or horses or point out when someone makes a spelling error, we all do it often.

At least this is progress, it is somewhat of a compromise which the way things are going is the best we can hope for.

I went to a 50's music concert at a Recreation Center several weeks back named Forever Young and before they started the festivities they asked everyone to stand to Salute the Flag. I thought had died and gone to Heaven. People our age who RESPECT our country. The young man a few rows in front of us was missing one leg from his knee down and he stood and Saluted our flag. He was injured in defense of our country. I was blubbering like a baby and had to excuse myself. These are the people I want to be associated with Not these Disrespectful Boneheads. The singing was fantastic and performed by talented Villagers. This whole thing took me by surprise. I loved every minute of it.

I watched a grand total of an hour of NFL football last year until we had a friend ask to come over as he has his television thru an antenna and couldn't get the game. He is from Kennebunkport so guess who he was rooting for. I watched the entire game and remembered how we lived for Sunday to watch Football ALL DAY AND NIGHT. It's all we had. We live in heaven on earth so now watching every game is low on the Totem Pole.

If they can kneel I can say Totem Pole correct?

I hope I can go back to watching once in a while this year. I'm all about principal so if they show them kneeling they lost me again. We are inside the 20 yard line and driving towards the end-zone. Will they cause me to fumble? Time will tell.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

This policy is pure hogwash. Forcing people to act patriotic? What is the point?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-24-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This policy is pure hogwash. Forcing people to act patriotic? What is the point?
For me its good enough that I or my grandchildren don't have to witness the disrespect.

Let them stop playing and paying these guys and I'll bet you they will stand up straight then. Pain is a great motivator and the players have no pain rite now. Call off Pre Season Football, that will solve the problem. Give 'em a taste of no $$CASH$$.

Everyone has to make their Mortgage Payments on Their Mansion, and payments on the cars we can't even spell the name of. And of course child support payments, should have put that one first.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

There are many ways to protest, however, not standing for our National Anthem is not one of them in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is usually about the money. At least, some people are talking about the issues that the protesters wanted to raise. I have a branch of my family tree which is African-American as well as Jamaican-American (depending how you use these labels) and racism is still a very deeply felt problem according to the in-laws I have had substantial conversations with. About 11 years ago my late younger brother married a woman from Jamaica who had also been a SEAL TEAM support system staffer.

The NFL Commissioner and others made a concession to both sides.
Tal, I don't think this is about race and I never have thought it was about race, but the players are trying to make it about race. How police officers handle arrests racially has nothing to do with how we all honor the symbol of our country. That, to me, is a totally different issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I never saw kneeling as a sign of disrespect. To me, it was honoring the most basic tenet of this great nation — the right to peacefully protest. I was sorry then and am sorry now that kneeling has been determined to be a denial of everything we stand for. My father was a career Army officer, having worked up the ranks to full bird. My brother served three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save an American life or two. Dad died before the Vietnam protests. My brother felt that protesting, including burning the flag, was exactly what he was fighting for and what America was all about.

The NFL owners took the easy way out. I wouldn’t be surprised if all players of many teams chose to stay in the locker rooms. It wasn’t until the ‘90’s that it was even required that all players be out on the field for the anthem. Some will stay inside as a protest. Some will stay inside to keep peace amongst their teammates. Some will stay inside just because they don’t want to be outside before they have to.

Watch. Don’t watch. Your choice. Your right. But at least understand that protest is what this nation is founded on. I may not agree with your viewpoint, but I will never deny you the right to voice that viewpoint so long as your opinion and actions are nonviolent and don’t advocate violence. But the owners are being cowards to the nth degree. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling during the anthem is an abomination. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling is a peaceful protest based on the very basic principles of our forefathers. This is a sorry middle ground.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
players, anthem, stand, owners, national

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.