NFL'S New Policy Regarding National Anthem

NFL'S New Policy Regarding National Anthem

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This policy is pure hogwash. Forcing people to act patriotic? What is the point?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-24-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This policy is pure hogwash. Forcing people to act patriotic? What is the point?
For me its good enough that I or my grandchildren don't have to witness the disrespect.

Let them stop playing and paying these guys and I'll bet you they will stand up straight then. Pain is a great motivator and the players have no pain rite now. Call off Pre Season Football, that will solve the problem. Give 'em a taste of no $$CASH$$.

Everyone has to make their Mortgage Payments on Their Mansion, and payments on the cars we can't even spell the name of. And of course child support payments, should have put that one first.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

There are many ways to protest, however, not standing for our National Anthem is not one of them in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is usually about the money. At least, some people are talking about the issues that the protesters wanted to raise. I have a branch of my family tree which is African-American as well as Jamaican-American (depending how you use these labels) and racism is still a very deeply felt problem according to the in-laws I have had substantial conversations with. About 11 years ago my late younger brother married a woman from Jamaica who had also been a SEAL TEAM support system staffer.

The NFL Commissioner and others made a concession to both sides.
Tal, I don't think this is about race and I never have thought it was about race, but the players are trying to make it about race. How police officers handle arrests racially has nothing to do with how we all honor the symbol of our country. That, to me, is a totally different issue.
Sage

I never saw kneeling as a sign of disrespect. To me, it was honoring the most basic tenet of this great nation — the right to peacefully protest. I was sorry then and am sorry now that kneeling has been determined to be a denial of everything we stand for. My father was a career Army officer, having worked up the ranks to full bird. My brother served three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save an American life or two. Dad died before the Vietnam protests. My brother felt that protesting, including burning the flag, was exactly what he was fighting for and what America was all about.

The NFL owners took the easy way out. I wouldn’t be surprised if all players of many teams chose to stay in the locker rooms. It wasn’t until the ‘90’s that it was even required that all players be out on the field for the anthem. Some will stay inside as a protest. Some will stay inside to keep peace amongst their teammates. Some will stay inside just because they don’t want to be outside before they have to.

Watch. Don’t watch. Your choice. Your right. But at least understand that protest is what this nation is founded on. I may not agree with your viewpoint, but I will never deny you the right to voice that viewpoint so long as your opinion and actions are nonviolent and don’t advocate violence. But the owners are being cowards to the nth degree. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling during the anthem is an abomination. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling is a peaceful protest based on the very basic principles of our forefathers. This is a sorry middle ground.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Soaring Eagle member

In my opinion, the NFL really blew this from day one. They should have fired Kaepernick immediately. Not the team, the NFL. That would have ended the whole problem.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I never saw kneeling as a sign of disrespect. To me, it was honoring the most basic tenet of this great nation — the right to peacefully protest. I was sorry then and am sorry now that kneeling has been determined to be a denial of everything we stand for. My father was a career Army officer, having worked up the ranks to full bird. My brother served three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save an American life or two. Dad died before the Vietnam protests. My brother felt that protesting, including burning the flag, was exactly what he was fighting for and what America was all about.

The NFL owners took the easy way out. I wouldn’t be surprised if all players of many teams chose to stay in the locker rooms. It wasn’t until the ‘90’s that it was even required that all players be out on the field for the anthem. Some will stay inside as a protest. Some will stay inside to keep peace amongst their teammates. Some will stay inside just because they don’t want to be outside before they have to.

Watch. Don’t watch. Your choice. Your right. But at least understand that protest is what this nation is founded on. I may not agree with your viewpoint, but I will never deny you the right to voice that viewpoint so long as your opinion and actions are nonviolent and don’t advocate violence. But the owners are being cowards to the nth degree. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling during the anthem is an abomination. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling is a peaceful protest based on the very basic principles of our forefathers. This is a sorry middle ground.
So true, Red. So true.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage

The stadium is the work place of these football players. If the owners don't want them protesting at their place of employment they shouldn't be protesting. How many of us would get fired if we staged protests at work?

If they want to protest on their own time away from work, more power to them..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Nucky;1546852]2BNTV, "All players should stand for the Anthem".
I went to a 50's music concert at a Recreation Center several weeks back named Forever Young and before they started the festivities they asked everyone to stand to Salute the Flag.

This is a very slippery slope. In a public forum not everyone is a US citizen. Why would a citizen of another country "salute" and "pledge allegiance" to our flag. Would you salute and pledge your allegiance to their flag ? This actually happens in The Villages at some of the Rec Center clubs. The extreme patriotic types take offense that people are in the room without hand over heart and not reciting the words. They haven't given a thought to the fact that they may not be from this country. The national anthem thing is easier - a non citizen can simply stand no hand over heart and not sing - it seems we accept that as respectful enough, so far!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Not to even mention, all of those who need to educate themselves...on the REASON kneeling was started in the first place.

Real easy for those who will never face/have never faced the discrimination and racism...that those kneeling are trying to highlight.

Those trying to change the narrative on WHY this form of protest is actually taking place...is exactly why it is needed.

And then let's talk about what those people buying beer/hotdogs/working the counters/etc. and even what the cameramen etc. are doing during the national anthem.

Why no faux outrage about them?

Never mind...we all know why.

'Flaming hypocrites'... comes to mind.

Tags
players, anthem, stand, owners, national