NFL'S New Policy Regarding National Anthem

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Nope. They are making it about race. It isn't.

It is about the respect for the symbol of our country.

I think most of us, no matter how upset we were over some issue, would never use those things taught to us to respect to air our grievances.

Our family, our country, our values, our respect for the law are things most people hold dear. If someone believes that police officers are unfairly targeting people because of their race, then wear a pin, march, wear a bracelet, rent a billboard, buy TV Time, do a miniseries on PBS, form clubs, tutor in schools, give money to endangered youth or to organizations supporting them.
Yet the very same "movers and shakers" of the Tea Party who flew our flag upside down, once burnt and buried our flag are hailed as leaders ?

I honestly do not like the kneeling, I respect the NFLs "right" , but I know enough of the history here to know that the initial incidents would never have grown to any extent had it not been "promoted", and yet another "fear" created, nor was there not a target on the back of the NFL based on past perceived wrongs.

Another "created" situation.

And to your "suggestions", DONE. They exist and are mocked. I have read a number of posts attacking any such group
Old 05-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucco View Post
yet the very same "movers and shakers" of the tea party who flew our flag upside down, once burnt and buried our flag are hailed as leaders ?

I honestly do not like the kneeling, i respect the nfls "right" , but i know enough of the history here to know that the initial incidents would never have grown to any extent had it not been "promoted", and yet another "fear" created, nor was there not a target on the back of the nfl based on past perceived wrongs.

and to your "suggestions", done. They exist and are mocked. I have read a number of posts attacking any such group

Yep!

And to prove the hypocrisy...where's the outrage for this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag Wearers.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	75174  

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 05-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep!

And to prove the hypocrisy...where's the outrage for this?
You just changed the focus and direction of this thread.

Who are these people? I know no one who would ever mock the flag. Are these KKK? They are hated by all political groups. The Southern Poverty Center says there are less than eight thousand in the whole country and most people would agree that is eight thousand too many.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

I came damn close to throwing something through the screen of our 60" TV when Kaperdumbass pulled his career ending stunt.

I quit watching the NFL then due to the failure of Roger Goodell to put an end to this disrespectful act toward the National Anthem and will not watch them again until this latest ruling by Goodell is strengthened to require all team members to be on the field (don't think this will ever happen so I'll not be watching the NFL anymore).
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I came damn close to throwing something through the screen of our 60" TV when Kaperdumbass pulled his career ending stunt.

I quit watching the NFL then due to the failure of Roger Goodell to put an end to this disrespectful act toward the National Anthem and will not watch them again until this latest ruling by Goodell is strengthened to require all team members to be on the field (don't think this will ever happen so I'll not be watching the NFL anymore).
I respect your opinion greatly. I feel like I was punished last year by limiting my exposure to the NFL. I had to do it. The way I see it is nobody can stop these people and they have rights and Blah, Blah, Blah. I have rights too. As long as I don't see them kneeling then its onward to watch the game. If I see them misbehaving we have a free couple of hours on a nice afternoon.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:

Do not expect this to be read, because facts never seem to enter into discussions anymore, but if you are sincere..

Also speaking to the suggestion posted to do something...I really believe you should lookmaround at what NFL players do for their local communities as well as setting up foundations, and yet to hear about any of these foundations being phoney or being investigated and found to be phoney.

Here’s how NFL players are making an impact off the football field - SBNation.com

Making An Impact, Top 10 NFL Player Foundations

10 NFL Players Who Strive to Make a Difference – Fan Fest | For Fans, By Fans

Last edited by Bucco; 05-24-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Yet the very same "movers and shakers" of the Tea Party who flew our flag upside down, once burnt and buried our flag are hailed as leaders ?

I honestly do not like the kneeling, I respect the NFLs "right" , but I know enough of the history here to know that the initial incidents would never have grown to any extent had it not been "promoted", and yet another "fear" created, nor was there not a target on the back of the NFL based on past perceived wrongs.

And to your "suggestions", DONE. They exist and are mocked. I have read a number of posts attacking any such group
Yep.

Not to mention...they also use it as clothing (look closely at their hats). .
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag Wearers.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	75175  
Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:

If I had a 60 inch tv, I would have done it. But, I have a 75 inch tv.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IT's a Game. Nothing to do with honor or country. IMO they shouldn't be playing the National Anthem at any sports events, THEY ARE NOT HEROs. If the employer wants them to stand, then they stand or find JOB or play time elsewhere. They have the right to push the agenda and the league has the right to set rules! We have NO say so, other than Spend money on NFL or NOT.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I never saw kneeling as a sign of disrespect. To me, it was honoring the most basic tenet of this great nation — the right to peacefully protest. I was sorry then and am sorry now that kneeling has been determined to be a denial of everything we stand for. My father was a career Army officer, having worked up the ranks to full bird. My brother served three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save an American life or two. Dad died before the Vietnam protests. My brother felt that protesting, including burning the flag, was exactly what he was fighting for and what America was all about.

The NFL owners took the easy way out. I wouldn’t be surprised if all players of many teams chose to stay in the locker rooms. It wasn’t until the ‘90’s that it was even required that all players be out on the field for the anthem. Some will stay inside as a protest.

Some will stay inside to keep peace amongst their teammates. Some will stay inside just because they don’t want to be outside before they have to.

Watch. Don’t watch. Your choice. Your right. But at least understand that protest is what this nation is founded on. I may not agree with your viewpoint, but I will never deny you the right to voice that viewpoint so long as your opinion and actions are nonviolent and don’t advocate violence. But the owners are being cowards to the nth degree. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling during the anthem is an abomination. They don’t want to offend those patriots who think kneeling is a peaceful protest based on the very basic principles of our forefathers. This is a sorry middle ground.
Very well stated. it is quite ironic that people don't get that thousands upon thousands of American soldiers have given up their lives in order to protect our right to freedom of expression. That right can take many forms and includes not singing the National Anthem. I may not agree with what you are saying, but you have the right to say it, express it, and/or peacefully protest. Others have the right to tune it out by shutting off the tv or changing the channel.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
e

Very well stated. it is quite ironic that people don't get that thousands upon thousands of American soldiers have given up their lives in order to protect our right to freedom of expression. That right can take many forms and includes not singing the National Anthem. I may not agree with what you are saying, but you have the right to say it, express it, and/or peacefully protest. Others have the right to tune it out by shutting off the tv or changing the channel.
I do not agree with your opinion on this matter. I respect the American soldiers who have given up their lives to protect all of our freedoms, but to me it is an entirely different matter to not stand for the flag. It is a slap and a tarnish against a traditional way to show patriotism and respect for our country and has nothing at all to do with police officers and race. One has nothing to do with the other. How we honor the flag is a tradition. How police officers handle racial issues is a social and legal and ethical issue.

I feel that police officers are targeted unfairly and frequently ambushed and killed but I would not protest this by not saluting the flag. I wouldn't blame our country for it. I see it as a societal issue. I see it as a decision made by a human to harm. A choice.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IT's a Game. Nothing to do with honor or country. IMO they shouldn't be playing the National Anthem at any sports events, THEY ARE NOT HEROs. If the employer wants them to stand, then they stand or find JOB or play time elsewhere. They have the right to push the agenda and the league has the right to set rules! We have NO say so, other than Spend money on NFL or NOT.
I agree - well said to the point and factual.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post

Dead on!

What's really happening here, is a not even a thinly veiled attempt at expressing prejudice/bigotry/racism toward the players...while totally ignoring the REAL reason the protests are necessary in the first place.

Decent people shouldn't let the few...try to obscure the root problem.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Dead on!

What's really happening here, is a not even a thinly veiled attempt at expressing prejudice/bigotry/racism toward the players...while totally ignoring the REAL reason the protests are necessary in the first place.

Decent people shouldn't let the few...try to obscure the root problem.
Some of the NFL Team Owners also seem to get this. That the American Flag represents the very freedoms that we should hold very dear-- freedom of expression, the press, to assembly peacefully, etc. Most soldiers I talked to at the VA Hospital as well as various relatives and friends fought for safety of their immediate group of fellow soldiers. The Generals and others would be waving the flag and other symbols around usually to get the support of the people back home.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Sage

It has been suggested that the players, maybe, should not be in this country.

Maybe before deported, the NFL will consult with the union this time.
Closed Thread

Tags
players, anthem, stand, owners, national

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.