Night Games Ugh!

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Night Games Ugh!

I don't mind the night games, but why so late? The Sunday night game starts at 8:30 and doesn't end until after midnight.

I fall asleep in the third quarter even with a nap. Sometimes I make it to the fourth quarter but it's difficult, especially after three or four beers.

Don't they know that we have to get up and play golf in the morning?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Sage

I agree but it's all about the money and putting eyeballs in front of the television. The network exec's don't care a whit about the average fan. The same goes for the owners who only care about putting fanny's in the seats.

I noticed the good part of the Olympics was being shown after 11 PM.

Nothing like seeing it live but thank GOD for the DVR's, so I can record it.

In conclusion, I would like to add that children who are interested in baseball don't get to watch their favorite teams during the World Series for all of the same reasons.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

You've just hit upon pretty much my only peeve about living here....Eastern Time Zone. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

30min
Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Coming from the West Coast and being a natural night owl, I appreciate the "late" games. One of the most irritating things for me was waiting to see an event in California and having someone on the East Coast blab the result. This happens during many football and baseball games, a award ceremonies and, worst of all, elections. Nothing like waiting til after work to vote and finding out your vote is absolutely irrelevant because the outcome was decided shortly after Ohio precincts had closed. They did change the laws so that newscasters couldn't "predict" a winner until Hawaii polls had closed but that doesn't stop online friends from blurting out results.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't mind the night games, but why so late? The Sunday night game starts at 8:30 and doesn't end until after midnight.

I fall asleep in the third quarter even with a nap. Sometimes I make it to the fourth quarter but it's difficult, especially after three or four beers.

Don't they know that we have to get up and play golf in the morning?
8:30PM, ET = 5:30PM, PT.

Think about all those people griping that "The Game" starts before they can even get home from work...and settle in and relax.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
8:30PM, ET = 5:30PM, PT.

Think about all those people griping that "The Game" starts before they can even get home from work...and settle in and relax.
Would you rather miss some of the beginning or the end of the games. It's time for the other coast to share the suffering. Earlier start would be wonderful.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Would you rather miss some of the beginning or the end of the games. It's time for the other coast to share the suffering. Earlier start would be wonderful.
Given these two games and the teams playing...that would be silly.

Pittsburgh VS Washington (two east coast teams) = early game (already over in fact).

Rams VS 49'ers (two west coast teams) = late game.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Given these two games and the teams playing...that would be silly.

Pittsburgh VS Washington (two east coast teams) = early game (already over in fact).

Rams VS 49'ers (two west coast teams) = late game.

Makes perfect sense.
I agree. But that's only Monday night when they now have two games. Sunday and Thursday games start at 8:30.

This week, the Patriots played the Cardinals on Sunday night. How would that have adversely affect the Arizona fans to have started the game at 7:00? They would have gotten to watch the game at 4:00 just like about half of the games during the season.

Sunday games are usually scheduled at 1:00 and 4:00 EST. Why do they go from three hours apart to four and a half hours apart. I still contend that 7:00 would be a better time for everyone and they would get more viewers.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:53 AM
Sage

I have this sneaky suspicion, that the NFL has already done plenty of studies to determine when they think they will get the most viewers.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I have this sneaky suspicion, that the NFL has already done plenty of studies to determine when they think they will get the most viewers.
The NFL doesn't get everything correct even with their scientific studies. It is possible that they should just try common sense. Reference that they can't get their own employees to stand at the proper times. Ending the games a little earlier works for me.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The NFL doesn't get everything correct even with their scientific studies. It is possible that they should just try common sense. Reference that they can't get their own employees to stand at the proper times. Ending the games a little earlier works for me.
I didn't realize that.

Which "employees" are you talking about?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Nucky you said the key word common sense, not that many people seem to have any.
Closed Thread

Tags
night, quarter, games, difficult, fourth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.