Builder's new home warranty- Did inspection find problems ?

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2020, 10:26 AM

Frank D’Angelo did our warranty inspection on our house in Marsh Bend. He did find one window that needs to be replace due to coopering.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Default Home Inspections in general

Not a new home - but refurbished by a "flipper" - unfortunately, within a month or less we had to spend over $1,000 on the A/C and had to replace the sprinkler box in the garage (another $250). Building inspection was $390. Moving into a new home is expensive enough without this type of extra expense! We're not "happy campers"...
Old 09-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Send a message via ICQ to GregG7 Send a message via AIM to GregG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
I agree Frank D’Angelo was great but call and get yourself on his schedule well ahead of time. He found a window needed to be replaced even down to nails missing on the roof. Certainly get the inspection , you won’t be sorry
It's interesting to hear that the inspector found missing nails on the roof. There are no exposed nails on the roof; they are all covered up by shingles that are sealed down. Did he pry up shingles to look for missing nails? Doing so would cause the seal to break between the shingle and the one below it and that could cause water leaks. Also bending the shingle up to look at the nails could cause the shingle to crease and eventually leak or break.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:07 PM

Biggest problem is insulation not being at the required depth.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG7 View Post
It's interesting to hear that the inspector found missing nails on the roof. There are no exposed nails on the roof; they are all covered up by shingles that are sealed down. Did he pry up shingles to look for missing nails? Doing so would cause the seal to break between the shingle and the one below it and that could cause water leaks. Also bending the shingle up to look at the nails could cause the shingle to crease and eventually leak or break.
Hi. Just to clarify, you are correct. We do NOT lift up and break the seal on any roof shingle. That being said, we look for and often find EXPOSED nails where they were shot in the incorrect areas of a shingle and were not covered up by the next higher row of shingles. We also find under-driven nails that result in that shingle sticking up and not sealing. In addition, we have found incorrect vent hoods, lead flashing that is not folded into the vent pipes, Missing shingles, missing ridge vents, saucer vents that are not bolted down, even H clips that we installed improperly and sticking out of the shingle resulting in a leak. On dutch hip homes we also sometimes find granular loss due to workers standing on a hot roof painting the gable. We sometimes find missing kick-outs.

I just wanted to correct that we do not lift up shingles and break the seal to find missing nails. A few years back we were finding multiple homes in one neighborhood that had defective shingles. The Villages replaced all the shingles on those homes.

The Villages builds a good home, but they do build them quickly and we typically find many issues that the Warranty department fixes. The Villages warranty department does a better job in my opinion than some other builders in other developments. While we ethically work solely for our client and NOT for The Villages, we DO get along with the warranty department, who consider us somewhat as the last quality control for them.

Hope that helps! Frank D.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Hi. Just to clarify, you are correct. We do NOT lift up and break the seal on any roof shingle. That being said, we look for and often find EXPOSED nails where they were shot in the incorrect areas of a shingle and were not covered up by the next higher row of shingles. We also find under-driven nails that result in that shingle sticking up and not sealing. In addition, we have found incorrect vent hoods, lead flashing that is not folded into the vent pipes, Missing shingles, missing ridge vents, saucer vents that are not bolted down, even H clips that we installed improperly and sticking out of the shingle resulting in a leak. On dutch hip homes we also sometimes find granular loss due to workers standing on a hot roof painting the gable. We sometimes find missing kick-outs.

I just wanted to correct that we do not lift up shingles and break the seal to find missing nails. A few years back we were finding multiple homes in one neighborhood that had defective shingles. The Villages replaced all the shingles on those homes.

The Villages builds a good home, but they do build them quickly and we typically find many issues that the Warranty department fixes. The Villages warranty department does a better job in my opinion than some other builders in other developments. While we ethically work solely for our client and NOT for The Villages, we DO get along with the warranty department, who consider us somewhat as the last quality control for them.

Hope that helps! Frank D.
Great post Frank. You should copy it over to the free roof thread for the people who say their roofer did an awesome job because it looks nice. I do not believe that good roofers need to go door to door to solicit business.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM

Can you share how much an inspection costs? Thank-you..
Old 09-17-2020, 11:04 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4dns View Post
Can you share how much an inspection costs? Thank-you..
Sure.....You will find prices all over the place. We are in the middle of the pack. The typical home in The Villages is about $325 right now. It is dependent on the size of the home and there is a small up-charge for items that take us longer to inspect properly, like Pools, Spas, outdoor kitchens, etc.

The better question to ask is what you get for that price. There are guys out there who charge as little as $200. There is actually a page on our website saying, ("Beware of the $200 inspection...)

Most folks in The Villages are enjoying this lifestyle because they made wise decisions throughout their lives, and know that basically "You get what you pay for". Our prices are actually well below the average home inspection price.

We always have two inspectors at your home at the same time....always my two sons, or if one of them needs off, myself and one of my sons. At a typical inspection we are both at your home for at least two hours, then we work on your report at our office for another hour or so to get the report just right, and we always send it to you AND the Villages warranty department the SAME DAY as the inspection.

The warranty department has told us we are the number one Warranty inspection company in The Villages, and do over 600 per year. We like to think that we are #1 not because we are the cheapest...(because we never will be), but because we are passionate at what we do and try our very best to keep our clients happy. We do much more than some of our competitors, and if we find even one issue more than the "quick and cheap" Inspectors, that pays the difference.

Remember, this is the last chance to get things fixed without opening your wallet. You paid a lot for this lifestyle....why would anyone skimp now?

Anyway, sorry for the long post....just trying to answer your question. In closing, please know that we care more about quality than quantity. We are never in a hurry. Because of that we are often booked solid at least 4-6 weeks in advance. We currently have a few warranty inspections booked out as far as nine months from now, so when folks call early they have more scheduling choices than if one waits until the last minute. I often get calls from folks saying, "My warranty ends this week...can you come tomorrow?" We do not advise waiting that long.

Thank you for the time. Please feel free to either call us at 352-250-7818 or go to our website, HOME | dangeloinspections

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Old 09-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Sure.....You will find prices all over the place. We are in the middle of the pack. The typical home in The Villages is about $325 right now. It is dependent on the size of the home and there is a small up-charge for items that take us longer to inspect properly, like Pools, Spas, outdoor kitchens, etc.

The better question to ask is what you get for that price. There are guys out there who charge as little as $200. There is actually a page on our website saying, ("Beware of the $200 inspection...)

Most folks in The Villages are enjoying this lifestyle because they made wise decisions throughout their lives, and know that basically "You get what you pay for". Our prices are actually well below the average home inspection price.

We always have two inspectors at your home at the same time....always my two sons, or if one of them needs off, myself and one of my sons. At a typical inspection we are both at your home for at least two hours, then we work on your report at our office for another hour or so to get the report just right, and we always send it to you AND the Villages warranty department the SAME DAY as the inspection.

The warranty department has told us we are the number one Warranty inspection company in The Villages, and do over 600 per year. We like to think that we are #1 not because we are the cheapest...(because we never will be), but because we are passionate at what we do and try our very best to keep our clients happy. We do much more than some of our competitors, and if we find even one issue more than the "quick and cheap" Inspectors, that pays the difference.

Remember, this is the last chance to get things fixed without opening your wallet. You paid a lot for this lifestyle....why would anyone skimp now?

Anyway, sorry for the long post....just trying to answer your question. In closing, please know that we care more about quality than quantity. We are never in a hurry. Because of that we are often booked solid at least 4-6 weeks in advance. We currently have a few warranty inspections booked out as far as nine months from now, so when folks call early they have more scheduling choices than if one waits until the last minute. I often get calls from folks saying, "My warranty ends this week...can you come tomorrow?" We do not advise waiting that long.

Thank you for the time. Please feel free to either call us at 352-250-7818 or go to our website, HOME | dangeloinspections

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Very interesting thanks for your post
Old 09-18-2020, 12:18 PM

In one house i bought a year later i discovered that two outlets had no power. TV had an electrician at my house the next day. I never thought to check every outlet when we moved in.
Closed Thread

Tags
hire, home, year, wait, problems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.