DD214 card

DD214 card

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

For what its worth .. in addition to his formal discharge paper / certificate, my father received a discharge "card" .. It is DD-217A.. Front has the words "certificate of Service" ..with rank and serial number.. back has period of active duty.. signed by my father and an officer .. this was always accepted as proof of service ... except for some formal matters with the VA ..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
DD 215 ? I won't ask but I'm guessing it's not good !
"220, 221, Whatever It Takes" Line from Mr. Mom.
Their rules
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Platinum member

Post Their rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Guy View Post
I tried to join the American Legion way back and they said I was in the Navy in1955 to 1960, and that was between wars, so I could not get in. What do you think of that ?
Their club, their rules.

My federal active duty time ended just a few weeks berfore the American Legion acknowledges the beginning of the Vietnam era, although we were already losing lives over there, so I'm not eligible either.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 AM

The fire happened in 1973. Millions of records were destroyed and were not recoverable. I suspect his records were among them. In most cases where a military record has been presumed destroyed, NPRC is able to reconstruct basic service information, such as military date of entry, date of discharge, character of service, and final rank. Other than contacting the NPRC I don't know what you can do to prove his service.
National Personnel Records Center fire - Wikipedia

Last edited by simpilot; 05-11-2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Their club, their rules.

My federal active duty time ended just a few weeks berfore the American Legion acknowledges the beginning of the Vietnam era, although we were already losing lives over there, so I'm not eligible either.
I spent 20 plus years in during 5 conflicts, done what I was told, went where I was told, served without blemish, and I'm not eligible. heck I don't even think I'm eligible VA benefits. On top of that done 20 federal service in the pit where something had to get done today.
Their reason?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

Post Their reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I spent 20 plus years in during 5 conflicts, done what I was told, went where I was told, served without blemish, and I'm not eligible. heck I don't even think I'm eligible VA benefits. On top of that done 20 federal service in the pit where something had to get done today.
Wondering what reason they gave you for not accepting you.

From their website:

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*AUGUST 2, 1990 TO TODAY (PERSIAN GULF/ WAR ON TERRORISM)
DECEMBER 20, 1989 TO JANUARY 31, 1990 (OPERATION JUST CAUSE - PANAMA)
AUGUST 24, 1982 TO JULY 31, 1984 (LEBANON/GRENADA)
FEBRUARY 28, 1961 TO MAY 7, 1975 (VIETNAM)
JUNE 25, 1950 TO JANUARY 31, 1955 (KOREA)
DECEMBER 7, 1941 TO DECEMBER 31, 1946 (WORLD WAR II)
APRIL 6, 1917 TO NOVEMBER 11, 1918 (WORLD WAR I)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpilot View Post
The fire happened in 1973. Millions of records were destroyed and were not recoverable. I suspect his records were among them. In most cases where a military record has been presumed destroyed, NPRC is able to reconstruct basic service information, such as military date of entry, date of discharge, character of service, and final rank. Other than contacting the NPRC I don't know what you can do to prove his service.
National Personnel Records Center fire - Wikipedia
Fathers records were in that fire. It's a long haul to get info. Some get frustrated and just stop trying to get their records
Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
I am trying to help a man who has his honorable Discharge Papers from the Army from 10/1962. He is trying to join the American Legion here in The Villages. In order to join they want to see his DD214 card. He never received his DD214 card. I have made calls for help, but was told there was a fire back in 1962, and records were lost. Can anyone help us
Thanks
Judy
You could try the VSO (Veterans' Service Officer) in his county. They are here to help Vets and very helpful with lots of information and resources. ARPERCEN (Army Personnel Cener) is now at FT Knox. But maybe someone could get on the computer find his DD214 and get it to him. Also, if he had any awards or an exit physical, they may help. But I would try the VSO first. There are VSOs at the VA here in TV and at a vetrans center I think co=housed in the Sumter Co Sheriffs building on 466. Let me know if that does not help. Joan Sullivan
Closed Thread

Tags
dd214, card, join, told, made