DD214 card

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Platinum member
Post Their reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I spent 20 plus years in during 5 conflicts, done what I was told, went where I was told, served without blemish, and I'm not eligible. heck I don't even think I'm eligible VA benefits. On top of that done 20 federal service in the pit where something had to get done today.
Wondering what reason they gave you for not accepting you.

From their website:

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*AUGUST 2, 1990 TO TODAY (PERSIAN GULF/ WAR ON TERRORISM)
DECEMBER 20, 1989 TO JANUARY 31, 1990 (OPERATION JUST CAUSE - PANAMA)
AUGUST 24, 1982 TO JULY 31, 1984 (LEBANON/GRENADA)
FEBRUARY 28, 1961 TO MAY 7, 1975 (VIETNAM)
JUNE 25, 1950 TO JANUARY 31, 1955 (KOREA)
DECEMBER 7, 1941 TO DECEMBER 31, 1946 (WORLD WAR II)
APRIL 6, 1917 TO NOVEMBER 11, 1918 (WORLD WAR I)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpilot View Post
The fire happened in 1973. Millions of records were destroyed and were not recoverable. I suspect his records were among them. In most cases where a military record has been presumed destroyed, NPRC is able to reconstruct basic service information, such as military date of entry, date of discharge, character of service, and final rank. Other than contacting the NPRC I don't know what you can do to prove his service.
National Personnel Records Center fire - Wikipedia
Fathers records were in that fire. It's a long haul to get info. Some get frustrated and just stop trying to get their records
Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to joansullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
I am trying to help a man who has his honorable Discharge Papers from the Army from 10/1962. He is trying to join the American Legion here in The Villages. In order to join they want to see his DD214 card. He never received his DD214 card. I have made calls for help, but was told there was a fire back in 1962, and records were lost. Can anyone help us
Thanks
Judy
You could try the VSO (Veterans' Service Officer) in his county. They are here to help Vets and very helpful with lots of information and resources. ARPERCEN (Army Personnel Cener) is now at FT Knox. But maybe someone could get on the computer find his DD214 and get it to him. Also, if he had any awards or an exit physical, they may help. But I would try the VSO first. There are VSOs at the VA here in TV and at a vetrans center I think co=housed in the Sumter Co Sheriffs building on 466. Let me know if that does not help. Joan Sullivan
Closed Thread

Tags
dd214, card, join, told, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.