Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
How do you know we're not?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
If you're African American then you have every right to post your concern. If that's the case does everyone else need to be outraged for you? Velvet used "Colored" and everyone is freaking out.. I guess I'm just not that socially sensitive..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Don't think he even lives here, so not sure of his knowledge base.
Thank you for your reply..

Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

I had no idea that ‘colored’ was offensive. I am not from the US as I have mentioned in my other posts. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If you're African American then you have every right to post your concern. If that's the case does everyone else need to be outraged for you? Velvet used "Colored" and everyone is freaking out.. I guess I'm just not that socially sensitive..
So you can only be concerned if you are what you are concerned about? Are you concerned about women who get raped even if you are a man? Are you concerned about children who are abused even if you are not a child? Your logic doesn't make sense...

Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
So you can only be concerned if you are what you are concerned about? Are you concerned about women who get raped even if you are a man? Are you concerned about children who are abused even if you are not a child? Your logic doesn't make sense...

Lets not get silly.. Calling someone "colored" instead of African American was an honest mistake by Violet.

If someone called me a white boy instead of caucasian would I expect you to get upset on my behalf? No I wouldn't. If I had a problem with it I would let you know myself.

I swear, if people aren't getting upset about something they're just not happy..

Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Lets not get silly.. Calling someone "colored" instead of African American was an honest mistake by Violet.

If someone called me a white boy instead of caucasian would I expect you to get upset on my behalf? No I wouldn't. If I had a problem with it I would let you know myself.

I swear, if people aren't getting upset about something they're just not happy..
I wasn't upset. What did I say that made you think that?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
A "colored" lady? What is that about? Maybe people are aware of such thinking and decide that this might not a receptive place to live.
EXACTLY!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I had no idea that ‘colored’ was offensive. I am not from the US as I have mentioned in my other posts. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
It is kind of old fashioned, but I don't see anything that would be upsetting. People are people. We are all different and we are all valuable.

Unless they break the law, want to change this lovely place, or pee in Lake Sumter, they are welcome .
Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM
TOTV Moderator

Again, a thread has been dragged off topic with posts attacking a poster and not discussing the topic at hand. Please return to the topic of this thread. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know if The Villages attempts to attract people from all cultures? With the current stats, I would guess the answer is no. Does anyone know the real answer?The Villages Florida

Hey, Fraugoofy I looked around on the Internet and didn't find anything about The Villages trying to attract any specific brand of people. I also didn't find anything about them trying to get people of the predominant culture that is here to move here. I guess it sorta just happened but I'll bet I going to learn why from several others.

I did find a lot of information about the clubs and activities that the people who move here put together once they landed. I am white and notice remarks daily in different opinion pieces and as of late from others on television who speak unkindly of my race. I don't care. I am proud of who and what I am and nobody's words can take that from me. Velvet's comment was not meant to be hurtful in my opinion.

I am far from a racist and choose to not say why. Those who know me personally can vouge for that being true, I couldn't find a link for that either or I would post it.

Certainly being confused on thread after thread is tiresome as an excuse for stirring the pot and then acting apologetic when the explanation must be offered to straighten out the person in error.

If I'm not proud of being who I am then who would be proud for me.
We have neighbors of every race and color in our neighborhood and they are just wonderful.

I wish I had a better answer to your question and if I see something I'll be certain to reach out and post the link. PEACE OUT!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Hey, Fraugoofy I looked around on the Internet and didn't find anything about The Villages trying to attract any specific brand of people. I also didn't find anything about them trying to get people of the predominant culture that is here to move here. I guess it sorta just happened but I'll bet I going to learn why from several others.

I did find a lot of information about the clubs and activities that the people who move here put together once they landed. I am white and notice remarks daily in different opinion pieces and as of late from others on television who speak unkindly of my race. I don't care. I am proud of who and what I am and nobody's words can take that from me. Velvet's comment was not meant to be hurtful in my opinion.

I am far from a racist and choose to not say why. Those who know me personally can vouge for that being true, I couldn't find a link for that either or I would post it.

Certainly being confused on thread after thread is tiresome as an excuse for stirring the pot and then acting apologetic when the explanation must be offered to straighten out the person in error.

If I'm not proud of being who I am then who would be proud for me.

We have neighbors of every race and color in our neighborhood and they are just wonderful.

I wish I had a better answer to your question and if I see something I'll be certain to reach out and post the link. PEACE OUT!
Every person deserves to be treated with grace and dignity. Nucky, I know in my heart you do that... Fondly, Frau.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,432 Times in 3,081 Posts

Apologies to Velvet on this post that I just edited. I didn't realize she wasn't American and her understanding of derogatory terms isn't the same as ours. My post was expressing my concern for her ignorance. And now I realize it was because she is truly "not knowledgeable" of American vernacular and etymology. So again my apologies.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 04-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is kind of old fashioned, but I don't see anything that would be upsetting. People are people. We are all different and we are all valuable.

Unless they break the law, want to change this lovely place, or pee in Lake Sumter, they are welcome .
As usual, I agree with Graciegirl.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Don't think he even lives here, so not sure of his knowledge base.

But in response to your inquiry in the OP, I worked for The Villages and am familiar with key players. Having said that, I would be totally shocked if The Villages did anything but market The Villages as what it is, and race or ethnicity does not enter into marketing. Green money is the color they seek.
When you worked what color was the money you sought ?
Old 04-13-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Sorry, I’m not familiar with the term you guys use, whichever is politically correct, that’s the one I meant.
Lighten up everyone. I'm sure this person meant to say "people of color"

Tags
villages, real, answer, guess, sm-n920r4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.