Diversity in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2019, 07:23 AM
TOTV Moderator

Last chance for this thread. The topic is Diversity in The Villages. Not in whatever location you wish to cite. Again, comments are being directed at posters. If the thread continues off track and/or continues attacking posters, it will be closed.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

We have been here in the Villages since June of 2005 and have met people of many different ethnic groups. The Villages does seem overall Anglo American in make-up but there are many employees or workers-- especially in the medical fields-- who are from all over the world. A lot of these workers live in areas around the Villages and maybe even here in the Villages if 55 or over or if they have a member of their family 55 or over.

My sister-in-law is from Jamaica and would start up conversations at I-Hop with strangers. As well as at other places here in the Villages.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Default You have nothing to apologize for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Sorry, I’m not familiar with the term you guys use, whichever is politically correct, that’s the one I meant.
Sadly, today, out comes the RACE CARD on far too many subjects.
The accusation is overused to the point that it is meaningless.
My point, politically correct point-I hope. The term racist has been used soooooo often that it is about as meaningless as the term-awesome.

Calling someone racist is effective because you've already judged them guilty. Any reply is the same as a reply to the question, do you still beat your wife.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We have been here in the Villages since June of 2005 and have met people of many different ethnic groups. The Villages does seem overall Anglo American in make-up but there are many employees or workers-- especially in the medical fields-- who are from all over the world. A lot of these workers live in areas around the Villages and maybe even here in the Villages if 55 or over or if they have a member of their family 55 or over.

My sister-in-law is from Jamaica and would start up conversations at I-Hop with strangers. As well as at other places here in the Villages.
This is a very important point, I think, one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Summary: The Villages *residency* is primarily white. But the Villages is not JUST homes, it is commercial space, the town squares, tons and tons of public space where people from outside the Villages come to work, shop, and even dance.

Odds are, you'll run into people of all races and hues and accents and cultures while you're out and about, and that, in my opinion, can only be a marvelous thing!
Old 04-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage

One of the attractive facets of this community is the wide spread in the price of housing. I could see where a community with homes starting in 7 figures could effectively hinder ethnic diversity. But I don’t see that here. There really is a home for everyone. Another is that I find few villagers who judge fellow residents by the house they own, or their former occupation, or their income.

The best and only way for diversity to be addressed is for the residents to continue to be welcoming, considerate, and accepting to their neighbors.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
One of the attractive facets of this community is the wide spread in the price of housing. I could see where a community with homes starting in 7 figures could effectively hinder ethnic diversity. But I don’t see that here. There really is a home for everyone. Another is that I find few villagers who judge fellow residents by the house they own, or their former occupation, or their income.

The best and only way for diversity to be addressed is for the residents to continue to be welcoming, considerate, and accepting to their neighbors.

I totally concur that in a perfect world, that's the way...it SHOULD be.

I have to admit to being shocked though, when occasionally being around a number of friends and fellow golfers in small groups, who would otherwise never publicly make such statements in larger groups, have expressed some very racist/bigoted/xenophobic/misogynistic views...when they think they're among 'like-minded' others (making the grave mistake that I'm one who shares those views).

We even see the occasional post here, of those who come right out and say that the main reason they moved here...is specifically because of the lack of diversity.

The good news is that there's proof the younger generations have shown to be much less inclined to be this way and as our age group dies off and the "young'ins" reach retirement age...maybe things will change for the better.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Well said.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:

You make a well informed point, seldom if ever noted. Folks ask me why I bought homes in “ Over 55” Communities and they are surprised at my answer. It is not about the golf other activities it is about the lack of any class structure. I played golf with maintenance men and once with a 4 star General and the mother of a big movie star. The men both looked alike and acted the same. The woman was fun to be with. Men Even dressed the same. I joke that a Village resident could hold up a bank at 9AM and not miss a Tee Time at 9:53. Law Enforcement would be out looking for an older man with grey or no hair, wearing golf shorts and shirt, a ball cap and sneakers. Good luck to them.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I have to admit to being shocked though, when occasionally being around a number of friends and fellow golfers in small groups, who would otherwise never publicly make such statements in larger groups, have expressed some very racist/bigoted/xenophobic/misogynistic views...when they think they're among 'like-minded' others (making the grave mistake that I'm one who shares those views).

We even see the occasional post here, of those who come right out and say that the main reason they moved here...is specifically because of the lack of diversity.

The good news is that there's proof the younger generations have shown to be much less inclined to be this way and as our age group dies off and the "young'ins" reach retirement age...maybe things will change for the better.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=ColdNoMore;1641464]

[/QUOTE

The world as seen through a pair of dark colored glasses. Usually by people who think they are the only one that really cares. Everyone else is a bigot.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=villagerjack;1641533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

[/QUOTE

The world as seen through a pair of dark colored glasses. Usually by people who think they are the only one that really cares. Everyone else is a bigot.

CARING is extremely easy to recognize....very easy. It is reflected in honesty of words and actions.

If you don't care, you say whatever is helpful to YOU, and if you don't care, you do whatever helps YOU. OR, you say and do different things. THAT has become commonplace.

Today's headlines and video replays reflect.

""Racial prejudice, anti-Semitism, or hatred of anyone with different beliefs has no place in the human mind or heart."

Rev Billy Graham
Old 04-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Yes there probably is less diversity in TV than some other places.
People here are generally very welcoming!
And in the years I’ve been here, I have met people of almost every ethnicity,
and we all seem to get along quite nicely!
Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Yes there probably is less diversity in TV than some other places.
People here are generally very welcoming!
And in the years I’ve been here, I have met people of almost every ethnicity,
and we all seem to get along quite nicely!
I have been donating blood at One Blood on their bloodmobiles as well as at their Lady Lake Office since 2007 and many of their workers are African-American, Hispanic or some combination of these.

And the physicians I or members of my family have gone to here in the Villages' area are Asian-American, Arab-American, Finnish-American, and many other ethnicities.

Pharmacists have been Korean-American and many other identities.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have been donating blood at One Blood on their bloodmobiles as well as at their Lady Lake Office since 2007 and many of their workers are African-American, Hispanic or some combination of these.

And the physicians I or members of my family have gone to here in the Villages' area are Asian-American, Arab-American, Finnish-American, and many other ethnicities.

Pharmacists have been Korean-American and many other identities.
I have had similar experiences as those you mention, but I also have met many Villagers having diverse ethnic backgrounds!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Platinum member

Why do people need to put labels on people? That and name calling?
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, real, answer, guess, sm-n920r4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.