I Did Search, Honest

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Default I Did Search, Honest

Please forgive me if I have overlooked the answers to these questions.

1) I remember the discussion about whether or not people renting out homes were going to include the golf carts going forward because of insurance issues. Has there been a definitive word on that yet? Some are offering them and some not. ( I realize that this may be dependent upon insurer.)

2) Where, and from whom, does one rent a cart in TV? Any ideas on the cost? Never mind. Found ads in The Daily Sun.

Which logically leads to:

3) I'm trying to compare the rent on units which include carts to those that don't. Any thinking as to how much that is worth on say a monthly term?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by CarolSells; 02-03-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: ..
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

On average it will cost you about $300 a month to rent a cart from someone. The issue is still not resolved and only a couple insurance companies have agreed to cover the carts. And even those have done it a little back door by having "you give permission for someone to use your cart" vs renting them a cart or providing it with a rental.

I got a rider to my umbrella to make sure I had at least solid liability coverage on my carts. It still leaves the medical coverage and value of the cart up in the air. It is still an unresolved issue in my mind and someone will get burned badly before it is resolved. I have even talked to a few who rent carts as a business and they have vague answers.

The needs to be a real solution or carts with rentals will disappear.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks, I2ridehd. That helps a lot!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM

My brother has 2 houses in TV that he rents. He explained to me that he insurers the carts and his Insurance company says anyone he gives permission to use the cart is covered. So he rents the house and gives the renter permission to use the cart.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
Please forgive me if I have overlooked the answers to these questions.

1) I remember the discussion about whether or not people renting out homes were going to include the golf carts going forward because of insurance issues. Has there been a definitive word on that yet? Some are offering them and some not. ( I realize that this may be dependent upon insurer.

2) Where, and from whom, does one rent a cart in TV? Any ideas on the cost? Never mind. Found ads in The Daily Sun.

Which logically leads to:

3) I'm trying to compare the rent on units which include carts to those that don't. Any thinking as to how much that is worth on say a monthly term?

Thanks in advance for any help.
You have raised a valid and serious question, Carol.

I would go to the insurer to find the answer. You may find your own homeowner's policy provides coverage. You may find the renter's insurance doesn't.

The renter may think he has you covered if he "loans" you a cart. However, if the cart is part of the lease agreement the insurer may not cover it as it is commercial use.

You may want to stay away from rental carts that have been modified to exceed 20 MPH. Florida law is very clear on that. If the cart is capable of exceeding 20 MPH it must be registered and insured as an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle).

If you rent a cart from a third party you might want to make certain of the coverage offered.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Default Thanks, Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
You have raised a valid and serious question, Carol.

I would go to the insurer to find the answer. You may find your own homeowner's policy provides coverage. You may find the renter's insurance doesn't.

The renter may think he has you covered if he "loans" you a cart. However, if the cart is part of the lease agreement the insurer may not cover it as it is commercial use.

You may want to stay away from rental carts that have been modified to exceed 20 MPH. Florida law is very clear on that. If the cart is capable of exceeding 20 MPH it must be registered and insured as an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle).

If you rent a cart from a third party you might want to make certain of the coverage offered.

Hope this helps.
downeaster,

I was pondering that point. Covering a renter using the cart has to be viewed differently by the insurer than allowing guests to use the cart.

As far as renting from a third party goes I can see where that could be an issue also as far as exactly what the coverage is that they may be offering. I suppose I'll call some places and ask.

Thanks again for your input.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.