Moving expenses

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2023, 02:44 PM
Default Moving expenses

Hi all, we will be moving to the villages in the Fall and are curious about what moving expenses are like. We live in upstate Ny at the moment. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Why not call a few interstate moving companies for pricing? Without mileage and weights anything said here would be a very rough estimate.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Deb View Post
Hi all, we will be moving to the villages in the Fall and are curious about what moving expenses are like. We live in upstate Ny at the moment. Any info would be appreciated.
Here’s the advice you will get.

Bring less stuff than you think
Don’t bring as much furniture as you think, just the basics, in the event it take 10 weeks to get new stuff
Moving stuff could cost more than scrapping at home and buying new
Keep some warm clothes, sweaters, some jackets, hats and gloves - it’s in the 30’s some mornings and eventings.
You don’t need more than one set of dishes, silverwear, etc - the formal dining room plates arent needed.
Overall, less is better.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I had a 5 bedroom house in Virginia full of stuff. I liquidated everything, and came here with nothing but my clothes, and a few valuables that would fit in the car. Getting rid of all that crap was the best decision I ever made.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We used a Pods and packed ourselves. $1800 for small pod. We brought one bedroom set, select comfort mattress, a buffet, both sets of dishes, 2 TVs , and stands. Christmas decorations,

Pictures, boxes that absolutely had to come. Packed pod in 7 hours. Still had more space, so boxes, small bar, and cabinet fit in. Still more room, Pods strongly suggest that pod be filled completely then secured to prevent shifting. So things I wanted but would have left behind loaded, and pod full.

Wish we would have brought our leather custom couch, and dining table. Anything I look at currently is either too ugly, or $5,000 and up, and won’t be available for 3-5 months.

So my advice if furniture fits, bring it, or you may he sitting on the floor, or buy something because it’s available, not because you like it or it’s comfortable. Then when you find something here or your order finally comes in after 6 months, sell old, and pay for part of your move.

Heard lots of horror stories for those who used moving companies, with missing boxes, broken items, badly damaged furniture. When our pod arrived in Ocala we went up to check on contents. Only thing that moved was a wreath that was tied in but slightly shifted out of place. Pod employees said we did an excellent job of packing. Not our first move so no stress here.

To be fair we moved from 5 bed house with a 1800sf basement, on 1/2 acre. The new build is only 2850 4 bed, and will miss our basement everyday

Last edited by asianthree; 01-26-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, expenses, live, info, moment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.