purchasing a smart house

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Default purchasing a smart house

What does a new smart house mean and what will it do for me. I have purchased a new one in Marsh Bend and would like to know what to expect. Will I still need a modem and if so where should I place it. Thanks
Old 05-13-2020, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

this is most likely something that you should ask someone in the Geek Squad that is truly on the cutting edge of this stuff

Last edited by davem4616; 05-14-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

It means appliances are turned on and off with a smart phone or Alexa. I modem and a router are required to have internet in your house. Comcast and others can provide it. ITs always connected to the cable pre wired in your living room or bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalocke View Post
What does a new smart house mean and what will it do for me. I have purchased a new one in Marsh Bend and would like to know what to expect. Will I still need a modem and if so where should I place it. Thanks
Old 05-13-2020, 08:05 PM

Just bought a new one that was “Smart Home Ready”. On the low voltage panel there was a sticker showing who did the wiring - in my case it was Galaxy Home Solutions. Call whoever did yours and ask for an overview of what’s installed and what you can do with it. You’ll learn a lot that way and that vendor will probably have some sort of starter kit you can have them install if you don’t want to try it yourself.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 AM
Default Smart Home Ready

My new home in DeLuna has a large outlet cover in the ceiling between the kitchen & living room (center of home). This is where you would install a smart home hub.
Your WiFi router and any "Smart Home Devices" would connect to the router & hub giving you a central access point to control your Smart devices from your phone, tablet or PC.

Making your home smart can be almost addicting. You can control your door locks, garage doors, lights, blinds, heat or a/c, appliances.

I use it in my home up north and it is very convenient and love it when I can turn the a/c on 30 minutes before I get home, have the door unlocked, the lights on etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
smart, house, expect, modem, purchasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.