Is a termite policy really needed?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 AM

All pest control companies offer it It is worth in that if you ever get termites it will cost much more to have your house treated. I’ve lived in Florida since 1984 and have always had it. If you get them and you are covered it costs you nothing. A stucco house still has lots of wood I would recommend it
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 AM

I've talked with local farmers around The Villages and none have seen termites. One fellow says they just take old tractor oil and pour it around the base/foundation of their barns and never have had a problem. Another treatment is to go to Home Depot and buy bags of diatomaceous earth ( a white powder of microscopic diatoms) and sprinkle it all around your yard and foundation. The diatoms will cut thru the exoskeleton of any insects and they die from dehydration. It also kills ticks that are carriers for Lyme disease. I bought a stucco, cinder block home and had repeated calls from Massey to renew my 5 year- warranty that was only one year old. The earth under my grass is just sand. The only soil is what came with the sod. I would be very cautious of inviting some company in to treat your home. It seems as crazy as having someone come to wash the exterior of your home. I've had a house restoration business for almost 4 decades and I find folks are always wanting to sell you something you don't need if you don't get yourself educated. If you want to give your money away, find a local charity that directly helps individuals rather than giving to someone who is in the business of "selling".
Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Default Get it!!!

We found termites in our pool. Thank goodness we had DEANS protection. They made sure they were eliminated before causing issues...and frequently call and come by and check and treat without us even thinking about it. Without the termite bond who knows what would have happened!
Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM

Have lived in Florida for 35 yrs owning several homes (4) including 10yrs in The Villages; never had an issue with Termites;all homes sold must be have a termite inspection before they are sold especially if they are financed
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

We had a home in Ft Lauderdale for 20 years...concrete block home, we had termites twice. Once they came in with furniture that we bought (warehouses don't always treat for this) and showed up perhaps 6 years after living in the wooden part of the furniture...second time they came in with new Kitchen cabinets and showed up 4 years after the remodel. Every year houses would be tented...termites are not a problem if you treat them. Sounds like you're from NJ....we're originally from New England....life is different down here. pick up the coverage
Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 AM

Mostly scare tactics to get you to buy a contract, read the fine print in the contract some of them won't pay for damage they just give your payment back. I do agree you have to have a contract if your selling or a buyer will freekout. I go to Lowes and spray myself around the house, takes care of everything.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
what villages???
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Approximately 3 yrs ago there was a home tented due to termites in Glenbrook.
Duval,Delavista,Mira Mesa
Old 02-13-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Approximately 3 yrs ago there was a home tented due to termites in Glenbrook.
Heard that one was tented for bugs - like roach invested etc
Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva1 View Post
Must have one to sell a house. Period. If you let yours lapse it will be costly to start all over again. We use Florida Pest Control and have since we bought here in 1996; a block house. You are in Florida so yes, you need it.
Not true - when you sell a house you must only have a clean termite inspection, normally done with a regular house inspection. Have sold 5 homes since I moved to Florida 40 years ago and never used termite company rip-off. Always sprayed my own home, never had termites or bugs.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
We found termites in our pool. Thank goodness we had DEANS protection. They made sure they were eliminated before causing issues...and frequently call and come by and check and treat without us even thinking about it. Without the termite bond who knows what would have happened!
Termites don't live in pools - you were lied to by Deans
Old 02-13-2020, 09:52 AM

Been here since 1998 first thing I did was to fire Massey never had a termite or coverage, never been asked if I have when selling one house to buy another.
Just another rip, I would not like to meet termites that can eat there way through concrete-filled blocks.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Default Termiteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Massey estimate for their termite prevention is costly. If you include both types of termites it's higher. Plus additional yearly fee.
Do we really need this? How often do the houses here get attacked by termites? Our home is stucco built with cinder block.
Are there other companies that offer this at a better price?
Having owned a termite treating company for 30+ years back in Texas, I feel more than qualified to answer your questions.
First off - no, you do NOT need a termite company to come to your house and inspect for termites. Back in Texas, all of the termite companies that were competition to my business inspected houses for FREE. We figured that cost as just part of doing business. AND - if someone was ever told they had termites, all it took was a few more phone calls to those free inspection companies to confirm that active termites were present. Upon confirming live termites, start phoning again to obtain bids for the job. Someone here mentioned tenting a home. That is incorrect!!! ONLY a tent is needed if the infestation of termites (or powder post beetles) has gotten so bad, it is the only option. And normally, it is only the Formosan termite that is needed to be eliminated by using a tent treatment. Getting termites so bad that a tent is needed will take years and you will certainly be aware you have termites - it won't be a surprise. There are too many ways for termite companies to scare people into purchasing services they do not need!! And if a termite treating company ever suggest to you that you need these so called "baits" installed around your home....tell that company to hit the road !!! So my suggestion is to phone 3 companies that will come over and inspect your home for FREE. If one of them says they found termites, have them show you photos and then call two more companies. Do not tell any of the companies you have phoned others - see if any of the others find termites and if it is in the same location. Hope this helps and good luck!.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM

It might have been termites from a swarm that fell in the pool. I've seen it in my 30 years of treating termites. No, it does not mean any treatments are necessary on any of the surrounding houses.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM

You are doing the right thing and were smart to fire your termite company. Good-goin!!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Please note that in South Florida there is a species of termites that chows down on concrete. No kidding...as bizarre as that might sound. But, up here, I have looked and looked and looked and opened my ears wide to hear of anyone who has been hit by any type of termite. I have heard of no one facing this dilemma. With that said, I do not use a termite service. But, I am still listening and looking.
Closed Thread

Tags
termites, termite, houses, attacked, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.