Another Look at Why Cruises Should Be Sailing Already

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Another Look at Why Cruises Should Be Sailing Already

One look at a picture is more than enough to make you wonder why cruising is not allowed right now. Cancun Airport recently showed no signs of social distancing or care for any COVID-19 related measures. The images and videos shared across the internet show thousands of people crammed together like sardines in a tin can.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
www.omnitours.travel
Have you ever thought about a River Cruise? Click below for our River Cruise Website:
www.vikingrivercruises.com/myagent/omnitours
Old 02-26-2021, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniTours View Post

One look at a picture is more than enough to make you wonder why cruising is not allowed right now. Cancun Airport recently showed no signs of social distancing or care for any COVID-19 related measures. The images and videos shared across the internet show thousands of people crammed together like sardines in a tin can.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

It is obvious this industry is your bread and butter and I feel sorry for you. I would NOT think it would be safe to cruise unless and until everyone aboard could show proof of vaccination. It isn't that someone is being stupid or mean, they are just showing good sense. I think about how cruising was just before it shut down with people dying on board or getting off the ship and going to the hospital.

I see a bunch of people crammed together in Cancun Airport and I wonder how many will die or get very sick as a result? Not sure we can count on dependable statistics from Mexico.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

How about a cruise that just visits port(s)....no disembarkation once the ship leaves the dock. All on board passengers/crew must be vaccinated.....tested before boarding.

Very often we do not care about the ports or touring or sight seeing......just enjoy the ship and it's offerings.

Something like this would not appeal to all.....but I bet there are many, MANY takers.....we would.

Helps those of us who are READY to get away as well as the cruise lines (not so much the ports).

Anyway, just thinking out loud!!!
Old 02-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

We love to cruise and seeing new ports but until we can get around without masks cruising does not have much appeal to us.

Sorry.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:03 PM
Sage

That picture at Cancun looks just like an experience we had in the Quito years ago. We had a hard time trying to thread our way to the ticket counter and out to the concourse. It was some sort of Ecuadorian holiday and the local's idea of entertainment was to visit the airport and look at the airplanes and the folks getting on and off.

I'm sorry for the cruise industry. It seems they were on a race to build "bigger and bigger" ships to accommodate masses of people, then along came the Pandemic.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
How about a cruise that just visits port(s)....no disembarkation once the ship leaves the dock. All on board passengers/crew must be vaccinated.....tested before boarding.
Each major cruise line has its own private resort in the Caribbean so, for many, just cruising and going to the beach might be fine, especially if the cruise lines shared their resorts so each ship could visit several.

Mrs Fox's favorite stop in the Caribbean is Half Moon Key (Holland-America Line's island) and since most of the towns in which the ships dock are identical...
Old 02-27-2021, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Very often we do not care about the ports or touring or sight seeing......just enjoy the ship and it's offerings.

Sounds like a transatlantic cruise. We love those sea days.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
That picture at Cancun looks just like an experience we had in the Quito years ago.
It may have been many years ago. About 8 years ago, a brand new airport was opened about 10 miles east of the old one, which was inside the city of Quito (UIO). You would have a different experience now.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,181 Times in 761 Posts

We have been on over 30 cruises over the years, best vacations ever. That's why we moved to TV, wife calls living here a cruise on land.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
We have been on over 30 cruises over the years, best vacations ever. That's why we moved to TV, wife calls living here a cruise on land.
Cannot wait for our second shot and than two weeks later we can start enjoying all the entertainment TV has to offer
Old 02-28-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniTours View Post

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
I appreciate that you're in business to sell cruises. I love cruises and look forward to taking another one.

But your justification for taking a cruise now, as opposed to later, is pretty insensitive.

You're basically saying that cruises are great, because look at all those stupid people over "there!"

It's wrong logic; eg: a logical fallacy.

The reason cruising is great now, cannot possibly be "because airports are bad."

I say that because I follow the logic. You can say that about standing on your head. You can say it about exceeding the speed limit on the highway. You can say it about sitting on your porch knitting booties. And you can say it about baking banana bread at home (which is what I'm doing now, it's in the oven).

So if my reason for doing something is because "airports are bad," I could, for all intents and purpose, do ANYTHING other than go to airports and be a step up in life.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The reason cruising is great now, cannot possibly be "because airports are bad."
I suspect what the OP is saying is that if you want to go on an overseas vacation you either have to fly somewhere (using airports) or go on a cruise, and if airports are bad...
Old 02-28-2021, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
I appreciate that you're in business to sell cruises. I love cruises and look forward to taking another one.

But your justification for taking a cruise now, as opposed to later, is pretty insensitive.

You're basically saying that cruises are great, because look at all those stupid people over "there!"

It's wrong logic; eg: a logical fallacy.

I say that because I follow the logic. You can say that about standing on your head. You can say it about exceeding the speed limit on the highway. You can say it about sitting on your porch knitting booties. And you can say it about baking banana bread at home (which is what I'm doing now, it's in the oven).

So if my reason for doing something is because "airports are bad," I could, for all intents and purpose, do ANYTHING other than go to airports and be a step up in life.
Well, you cannot cruise right now anyway. And when you can, most likely vaccination will be required. So, looking forward is quite different than today's environment.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
I suspect what the OP is saying is that if you want to go on an overseas vacation you either have to fly somewhere (using airports) or go on a cruise, and if airports are bad...
If you want to cruise, airports are merely a means to get to the departure location for those who don't live near one.

If you want to enjoy a vacation at a destination, a cruise is -not- the first choice for getting there.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
If you want to cruise, airports are merely a means to get to the departure location for those who don't live near one.

If you want to enjoy a vacation at a destination, a cruise is -not- the first choice for getting there.
But the cruise is the vacation? You're not using the ship as a means of transportation for "getting there". Once you are on board, you are "there".

And this forum is mainly for people living in The Villages, for whom getting to four cruise ship ports - Tampa, Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami - requires no flying, so no airports.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailing, cruises, thousands, images, videos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.