CDC Clarifies Letter to Cruise Lines

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 07:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
When they start up again and we do not need to wear masks on board we will be booking several.

Hopefully they will not require us to only get off the ship with cruise line tours. If so can deal with that for a time.

For caribbean we prefer going on our own to beaches coming and going as we please.
I think cruises will have to follow the restrictions of the port of call. Their requirements, masks, vaccines etc have to be enforced or no one is getting off the ship
Old 05-02-2021, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

In some places, the current requirement is a recent COVID test. For example, the USVI. The BVI is even more restricted with a second test required after 4 days, and then another test to get back into the US. Hopefully, proof of a vaccination will be accepted in the near future in lieu of COVID tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
I think cruises will have to follow the restrictions of the port of call. Their requirements, masks, vaccines etc have to be enforced or no one is getting off the ship
Old 05-02-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely. The ports of call are sovereign countries with their own laws and regulations. Anyone who gets off the ship will certainly have to follow those laws and regulations.

There are still some questions left to be answered:
- Will the countries attempt to impose these requirements on ships entering their waters, even for those who do not get off the ship?

- While there may be requirements like quarantines and retesting after four days, these only make sense for overnight visitors. What will be the requirements for travelers visiting for only a few hours?

- For some of these countries the cruise industry brings in a lot of money. Are they willing to put up walls to prevent that money from coming in?

Have these questions already been answered? Cruises haven't restarted from US ports but are there already sailings from non-US ports?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-02-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriS View Post
I won’t ever be cruising if vaccine is required for something with a 99.xx% recovery rate & cures that are available. We are being played.
But what about Covid which doesn't have a 99.xx% recovery and there are no cures? (treatments that sometimes help but no cures)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-02-2021, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

No, that is not correct. In the case of the BVI, the current requirement for testing upon arrival, quarantining for 4 days, and retesting before you can move about is based in an incubation period of 4 days. Whether you are there for a week or just the day, they want to be sure you are not contagious before you can move about freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post

- While there may be requirements like quarantines and retesting after four days, these only make sense for overnight visitors. What will be the requirements for travelers visiting for only a few hours?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniTours View Post
CDC Clarifies Letter to Cruise Lines

The CDC issued a clarification of their letter to the cruise lines to Cruise Industry News this afternoon and stated that it looks at a timeline of passenger voyages by mid-July.

According to Caitlin Shockey, CDC spokesperson, over the past month, senior leadership from the CDC has met twice-weekly with representatives from cruise lines to discuss the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO). Within these meetings, participants asked questions and discussed the fastest path back to sailing without compromising safety, she said. Today, in response to the industry’s feedback, the CDC announced five key clarifications with the existing CSO framework.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

Like so many of these issues there is a conflict between reality and law.

On a ship you are in close quarters. Not only that the crew is from all over the world.

We know about stuff like legionnaires disease. I expect, as much as possible the cruse lines do their best to prevent disease as well as suppressing news that may be negative, from getting out. On a ship it may or may not be possible to get you off by helicopter.
The destination may or may not chose to let a ship with people who are ill land in their country.

All life involves risk. You can get hit by a car going to get a vaccine. Such is life.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
No, that is not correct. In the case of the BVI, the current requirement for testing upon arrival, quarantining for 4 days, and retesting before you can move about is based in an incubation period of 4 days. Whether you are there for a week or just the day, they want to be sure you are not contagious before you can move about freely.
I guess I wasn't clear. If I'm only on the island for six hours then there is no way to quarantine me for four days and retest me after the four days. They could say they have a four-day quarantine and there is no point in even getting off the ship.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-02-2021, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

That is certainly your choice but consider that the cruise lines and other passengers don't want to be burdened by you if you develop COVID symptoms on the boat. The vaccine reduces this probability to a very small number. Also, part of the reason for vaccinations is to hopefully reduce the probability of a mutation that is worse then what we currently have. You can believe you are being played but the rest of us know we aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriS View Post
I won’t ever be cruising if vaccine is required for something with a 99.xx% recovery rate & cures that are available. We are being played.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Under the current rules in the BVI, you are required to install an app on your phone and wear a bracelet. No cruise ships are currently going to the BVI. Private yachts are allowed with the restrictions I already mentioned. I am explaining the rules to you and why they are in place. The rules will likely change in June when I believe the BVI will start accepting cruise ships. That will obviously mean they don't require a 4-day quarantine with retesting. As I previous stated, under the current rules you would not be able to move about freely until after a 4 day quarantine. I hope this clears things up for you.

Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear. If I'm only on the island for six hours then there is no way to quarantine me for four days and retest me after the four days. They could say they have a four-day quarantine and there is no point in even getting off the ship.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Under the current rules in the BVI, you are required to install an app on your phone and wear a bracelet. No cruise ships are currently going to the BVI. Private yachts are allowed with the restrictions I already mentioned. I am explaining the rules to you and why they are in place. The rules will likely change in June when I believe the BVI will start accepting cruise ships. That will obviously mean they don't require a 4-day quarantine with retesting. As I previous stated, under the current rules you would not be able to move about freely until after a 4 day quarantine. I hope this clears things up for you.
I don't understand your objection. You state that no cruise ships are currently going to the BVI and the rules will likely change in June when the BVI may start accepting cruise ships. I noted that the current rules only made sense for visitors staying for more than a day and I wondered how they might change for visits of only a few hours. We seem to be in agreement that these rules won't work for visitors from cruise ships and may change when cruise ships are again allowed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-02-2021, 09:41 AM
Default Covid card

Quote:
I read the article twice and didn't see anything that said "proof of vaccination required."
FYI, When you make your final payment and fill in the required info there will be a new Field to plug in a copy of your Covid vaccine card. Info from various cruise agents on the front line.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Default Quarantine doesn't apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
FYI, When you make your final payment and fill in the required info there will be a new Field to plug in a copy of your Covid vaccine card. Info from various cruise agents on the front line.
Quarantine doesn't apply to those who can prove they had the vaccines. Getting on/off ship is not supposed to be an issue.

Supposedly CDC via WHO is getting agreements in place?

Not sure what they will do with the 1% that don't have it. But they better have the insurance and hope it will cover their mistake but it probably won't as it is easily preventable by getting the vaccine.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
That is certainly your choice but consider that the cruise lines and other passengers don't want to be burdened by you if you develop COVID symptoms on the boat. The vaccine reduces this probability to a very small number. Also, part of the reason for vaccinations is to hopefully reduce the probability of a mutation that is worse then what we currently have. You can believe you are being played but the rest of us know we aren't.
Bingo
Old 05-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
In the short run that will be the rule but wondering when life will get back to normal.

This is why the next cruise we are about to book will be Nov 2022.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
Its says the cruiseline must attest that the passengers and crew are vaccinated.

So, yeah, you'll need proof.
No, it doesn't. This is the exact wording:

"if a ship attests that 98 percent of its crew and 95 percent of its passengers are fully vaccinated."

Count me in that 5%. I don't need proof of anything.
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.
Closed Thread

Tags
cdc, cruise, lines, letter, cso

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.