What happens when cruise ships retire

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

There is guy on youtube and he posts under "tips for Travelers", have been following for a couple years and his information is pretty accurate. He has a couple posts that may prevent us from cruising again, medical requirements for over 60 and possible segregation, theaters down to 50%, buffets will be history. I also saw one of the CEO's of a major cruise line and he also discussed some of those changes including the medical requirements and segregation. That may change over time but the initial return and several years following will be different.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Cruising vs Herding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I spent 10 days on a troop ship in 1966 going to Germany. Cured me of ever wanting to travel on a ship no matter how luxurious.
There is a big difference between traveling on a luxury liner and traveling on a troop ship. Seriously. I cross the North Atlantic 4 time in the 1950's on military ships.

You don't know what you are missing on today's ships. Maybe you just don't like ships. If you can't handle going on the water, I feel for you. Nothing worst than getting sea sick. Fortunately I never had the problem.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
There is guy on youtube and he posts under "tips for Travelers", have been following for a couple years and his information is pretty accurate. He has a couple posts that may prevent us from cruising again, medical requirements for over 60 and possible segregation, theaters down to 50%, buffets will be history. I also saw one of the CEO's of a major cruise line and he also discussed some of those changes including the medical requirements and segregation. That may change over time but the initial return and several years following will be different.
We cruise quite often and miss it quite a bit right now.

If they have to make changes like you described it will end cruising as we know it.

We have no interest in cruising with a mask on so until their is a vaccine and things return to normal, cruising for us is not going to happen.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
There is a big difference between traveling on a luxury liner and traveling on a troop ship. Seriously. I cross the North Atlantic 4 time in the 1950's on military ships.

You don't know what you are missing on today's ships. Maybe you just don't like ships. If you can't handle going on the water, I feel for you. Nothing worst than getting sea sick. Fortunately I never had the problem.
I only got sick once and that was because the smell of vomit that permeated the ship below the main deck, then I got used to it. Other wise I was fine, but when you have 1,700 guys on a ship with half of them sea sick, it leaves a lasting impression. I realize that a troop ship is nothing like modern cruise ships but it's like when you eat so much of something and get sick on it, you never want to eat it again. I'm glad people like cruises but I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to go on one.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I only got sick once and that was because the smell of vomit that permeated the ship below the main deck, then I got used to it. Other wise I was fine, but when you have 1,700 guys on a ship with half of them sea sick, it leaves a lasting impression. I realize that a troop ship is nothing like modern cruise ships but it's like when you eat so much of something and get sick on it, you never want to eat it again. I'm glad people like cruises but I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to go on one.
Cruising is certainly not for everyone. For many years remembered how I would get sea sick whenever I went fishing with my dad but eventually wife beat me down so we did it loved it and keep going back.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We cruise quite often and miss it quite a bit right now.

If they have to make changes like you described it will end cruising as we know it.

We have no interest in cruising with a mask on so until their is a vaccine and things return to normal, cruising for us is not going to happen.
We're at 34 cruises (rookies) and agree with you....not sure we will cruise under the new rules.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We're at 34 cruises (rookies) and agree with you....not sure we will cruise under the new rules.
We have two cruises booked for next year. If we have to wear a mask and socially distant we will cancel both.

However first is not till next April so there is time for a vaccine putting an end to this.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, ships, retire, industry, restarts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.