What color is your painted driveway?

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2022, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

I suggest you match the house
Ours is lighter, it doesnt show dirt. The quick afternoon rains keep it clean.
I would be concerned that darker would retain heat.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:38 AM

Leave your driveway original not much maintenance
Old 12-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Default Driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'm planning on redoing my driveway and trying to choose a color. I see so many light coloured ones around TV that show dirt a lot. I'm thinking of going more for a dark grey, like asphalt, to hide the usual dark dirt that accumulates on the driveway. Has anyone else chosen a darker color? If not, do you wish you had? Pictures welcomed.
Of course the main criterion is that it goes with the color of your house. I can see an issue with dark colors retaining heat if you are talking about a roof, but what would be the problem with a driveway doing so? Multiple colors as opposed to a single hue would be less likely to show dirt. However, as with anything outside, there will always be some maintenance needed.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:42 AM

Keep it simple. Aesthetically, your driveway should not be the most important feature when looking at your house
Old 12-08-2022, 09:45 AM
Default Make sure to check out blue driveways

Blue drivesways - they look the worst in terms of fading...
Old 12-08-2022, 10:11 AM

After a few years, the finish starts to get hairline cracks and the dirt doesn’t wash off as easily. Dark colors look worse over time. My suggestion is don’t do it. I wish my driveway was never painted in the first place but at least it’s a light yellow color so doesn’t look too bad. My mothers is a darker blue/grey and looks terrible now after 12+ years!!!
Old 12-08-2022, 10:14 AM

///

Last edited by RPDaly; 01-20-2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
The bid I chose is only sanding the shine off the old and pressure washing. I'm a tad concerned it may be an issue, but he said it wouldn't be. I'll come back here with results and hopefully long term rating...
Under the heading been there done that, if (big if) the old finish is failing, then IMHO applying a new finish over the old finish is asking for trouble. I hope it works for you, but I am betting it will not, 2, 3, 4 years from now you will have a mess.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Bob View Post
When sealed tire marks and dirt wash away with a brush and garden hose
That's really nice!!
Old 12-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
You also have to get the sealer refreshed every few years. Think of it as wax on your car. You have to reapply to keep the protection working. In my opinion, have a neutral color and scheme that will go with roof color and different paint colors for when you sell your house. You don’t want to turn off potential buyers from the curb. You can ask your realtor about this. Good luck.
Good point. I figured grey goes with everything, and makes my house color pop.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Under the heading been there done that, if (big if) the old finish is failing, then IMHO applying a new finish over the old finish is asking for trouble. I hope it works for you, but I am betting it will not, 2, 3, 4 years from now you will have a mess.
I'm so afraid of that!!! Dang, I've already signed the contract. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombpot View Post
Leave your driveway original not much maintenance
i would but there are stains i just cant get rid of. the sealant jobs pictured here look lovely & clean
Old 12-08-2022, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
I'm planning on redoing my driveway and trying to choose a color. I see so many light coloured ones around TV that show dirt a lot. I'm thinking of going more for a dark grey, like asphalt, to hide the usual dark dirt that accumulates on the driveway. Has anyone else chosen a darker color? If not, do you wish you had? Pictures welcomed.
Do NOT do it. Dark colors absorb the sun's heat more. You WILL regret it. That is why the colors that you see locally are all light colors. In the summer or even fall and spring, a dark color driveway would be deadly for bare feet and even uncomfortable for feet in shoes. Maybe you leave Florida for the summer, but what if you wanted to rent the house? Also, what if you needed to sell it?
........Strangely, many people do NOT know this relationship between color and solar heat. Black color clothes have been popular for years. Women like that it hides some weight, but they pay for it if they are walking around on a bright, hot summer day. Anyone that touches a black automobile outside surface hit by the summer sun will feel the burn.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Light tan, most of my neighbors have the same. No problems as far as fading, or dirt...just have it sealed and all is good.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Default driveway

Quote:
We have a medium gray with a darker border.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	96051  
Closed Thread

Tags
color, driveway, dark, dirt, usual

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.