Is there really a rat infestation problem in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Default Is there really a rat infestation problem in TV?

Has anyone heard of Central Florida Wildlife Removal, and all the work that we supposedly need to have done to protect our homes against a raging rat infestation? Is this real, or a scam?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Don't have bird seed or garbage or composte outside. Get some bait boxes and have them checked monthly. We live by water. However many people throughout TV have had rat issues. Just do due diligence. Fruit trees and palm trees attract rats, we have a lot of palms and a lot of bait boxes. You do not need a huge solution unless you have a huge problem. Be proactive and again, bird seed is like a lure for rats
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

We have had palms for 15 years and never any rats.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

No rats in our palms, no bird feeders, pond across the street now has a gator so we do have wildlife.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

take a quiet walk around your neighborhood at 3:00 am
Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM

Sounds like CFWR is a company trying to drum up business. You don't treat a problem, unless you actually have it. Clean out your grill, pick up any fallen fruit from trees and don't put your trash out too early.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Over time I have caught eleven rats. I certainty did not need a service to do this. Every neighbor I told this to thought it was a story. The cure was eliminating the food source. If I had a problem and I was fearful of rats I would hire a firm but not until..
Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Don't have bird seed or garbage or composte outside. Get some bait boxes and have them checked monthly. We live by water. However many people throughout TV have had rat issues. Just do due diligence. Fruit trees and palm trees attract rats, we have a lot of palms and a lot of bait boxes. You do not need a huge solution unless you have a huge problem. Be proactive and again, bird seed is like a lure for rats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We have had palms for 15 years and never any rats.
Who has garbage outside???
I do wish people would use their garbage disposal more as opposed to throwing garbage in the trash.

Having had a bird feeder and a compost bin for years, I am happy to say we have never had rats -- none that I've seen, anyway.
They could never get into our compost bin and I've never noticed a change in the level of our bird seed at the end of the day.

And if you have 15 palms, I will guarantee you have rats living in at least some of them.
You won't see them during the day but they come to life at night, mostly.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Many years ago I was asked to help get info with an issue of rat sightings. I called Property Management and this is what I shared with others from the information I received:

(And by the way, the bigger problem ceased when people knew what to do but there ARE rats all over The Villages and always have been and always will be. It is a control issue, not an eradication issue. You cannot have a rat free environment here.)

First, there is nothing The Villages can do because they do not go into private yards and they do not spray or put out poisons.

Second, your neighborhood is not the first to have this problem. It happens periodically.

Third, while there has been a lot of rain, it is doubtful this is the reason the rats are coming out. However, if they are being driven out of their habitat because of rain, you could see more of them.

Fourth, this is a problem you must each deal with individually.

Fifth, this is less a problem for people living on the water than those in the interior because the rats like to climb the walls and there is more landscaping between the houses in the interior.

Sixth, if as a neighborhood you do not do the following, the infestation is going to grow rapidly because as I learned after talking to the District Supervisor for Property Management, the first love of rats is a food source and the second is breeding.

Seventh, if you do not get the rats under control, there will be an infestation of snakes seeking out the rats, and other critters as well going after the rats.

Eighth, you need to work as a neighborhood to deal with this, even if you do not today have this problem.

So, this is what I have been told.

#1. GET RID OF ALL BIRD FEEDERS. Food source is the number one issue. You can get one of those NO DROP trays for the birds where you pick up what they have not eaten, but at this time it would be prudent to put your bird feeders away until this problem is addressed and then get a NO DROP tray for the feeders.

#2. Put your garbage out the morning of garbage day.

#3. If you are having a rat problem, call your pest control today and get them to put rat bait boxes out-I ordered more today and we do not have a problem (yet). You must get your pest control company to help deal with this if you are seeing these rats.

#4. Is your neighbor away? Look in their yard and make sure they have not left bird feed out or any food sources. I am sure they would appreciate that knowing they may be a source for attracting rodents.

#5. Keep the poop in your yards cleaned up from your animals. Poop has unprocessed food sometimes in it, if your pet eats like a pig. Clean daily all feces.

#6. Keep your screen doors closed so they do not come in the house.

You must be proactive on your own property and you must be considerate to your neighbors around the food source issue. The Supervisor was adamant with me this is why the rats appear from time to time in different communities. If there is no food source they will go away.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTVTLee View Post
Has anyone heard of Central Florida Wildlife Removal, and all the work that we supposedly need to have done to protect our homes against a raging rat infestation? Is this real, or a scam?
Have lived here 8 yrs in CYV centrally located (just south of Sumter Landing). Have seen "possums" squirrels, and too many rabbits. Have never seen a rat of any kind. Our landscaping is lush and includes 15ft+ Sylvesters , very large Sugar Palms and many more shrubs and bushes. We do not put garbage out before sundown on night before pickup, no birdfeeders, etc--------.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Yes, of course there are rats here...why wouldn't there be?

Just because someone hasn't seen them...doesn't mean they aren't around.

The great advice on how to mitigate their infestation...should be taken to heart.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTVTLee View Post
Maybe not a scam. Someone is trying to sell you something you probably don't need.

I have lived here for ten years and have seen two rats. One at the bottom of a palm tree in a parking lot on a nine hole course and one dead in the road.

Don't plant fruit trees and some say not to plant palm trees. Don't feed birds, and don't have an open compost. Clean the grease from your grill and don't feed pets on the lanai.

There are three kinds of rats in Central Florida. Palm/Roof rats. Norway rat and Wood rat. Some areas DO have rats but I wouldn't call it an infestation of the whole Villages.

rats in central florida - Bing

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-02-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:10 AM

A few things scientific study has proven:
1. They are nocturnal ....if you are not seeing them, they are active when you are asleep.
2. They are territorial and live in familial groups.....if there is one, there are more.
3. They need a food source....if you have anything that they will eat in your yard.....they will come eventually
Old 05-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Platinum member

If you decide to buy and place out your own rat bait boxes you can get them in the shape of rocks rather than the ugly black square things,
Old 05-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Ten palms around the house...15 years...no site or sign of rats....have not seen one anywhere in TV in those 15 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
rat, infestation, protect, supposedly, real

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.