"backwards" serve legal?!

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Default "backwards" serve legal?!

So this is going to sound crazy; I understand the serve rules pretty well but we have a younger guy that is always looking for ways to be different. He literally stands on the baseline, facing away from the net, and serves the ball swinging his paddle toward teh net. The thing is, its definitely an upward motion, he hits well below the naval, and the paddle face is always below his wrist. Technically his forehand side of teh paddle makes contact.

He hits it REALLY fast this way. Its began a whole arguing thing in our company league and I'm looking for wisdom.

Part of me just thinks its a dumb strategy and he'll end up paying the price. But in teh meantime he's hammering away points.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

new pickleball addict.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

it sounds legal to me....
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Gold member

It's a legal backhand serve you can put more spin on the ball.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Serving

Pickleball is similar to Volleyball in that a player or team can only score points when serving.

Prior to 2007, players were allowed to step over the baseline with one foot when serving, as long as they kept at least one foot behind the baseline until after they contacted the ball. However, the rule has been changed by the National Pickleball Association (USAPA) so that now both feet must remain behind the baseline until after the ball is struck.

•Players must announce the score prior to serving. Always call the server's score first!
•The serve must be made with an underhand stroke so that contact with the ball is made below waist level.
•Underhand Defined: The arm must be moving in an upward arc and the paddle head shall be below the wrist when it strikes the ball.
•Serves must travel diagonally and land between the non-volley zone and the baseline of the service court opposite of the serving player.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.