Can we reopen the Pickleball courts, please.

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Default Can we reopen the Pickleball courts, please.

A lot of people rely on pickleball and other physical activities to keep their blood pressure down and maintain their general health...Keeping these activities closed is doing much more harm than good...either open them or partially refund amenities fees...germophobes can stay home ...enough is enough already.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Don't you have to touch the ball after someone else touches it? We are still allowed to jog or run or ride bikes or use the outdoor gym equipment all of which would be considered physical activities and just as good if not better than pickle ball.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argos5usa View Post
A lot of people rely on pickleball and other physical activities to keep their blood pressure down and maintain their general health...Keeping these activities closed is doing much more harm than good...either open them or partially refund amenities fees...germophobes can stay home ...enough is enough already.
I miss my daily pickleball but I’ve been walking 3 miles daily to stay active. Keeping activities closed does not have to do you harm. There are alternatives to stay active until a reasonable plan to a safe re-opening can be implemented. If safety “rules” for opening are not followed it will cause heated disputes on the courts, and they will just shut them down again. For me I plan to wear pickleball gloves and bring my own hand sanitizer and a chair. Probably water and possibly balls will not be provided initially so bring your own. The developer has a liability exposure to consider. Pools are re-opening first so let us see what happens there. Rules were not followed prior to shut down so if that scenario repeats we will all suffer.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:19 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful response(s) but if "liability exposure" becomes the primary concern then they won't reopen for months..."assumption of the risk" should be a sufficient defense for the developer...wearing gloves won't protect you very much since you will likely touch other parts of your body with your glove...using outdoor exercise equipment is arguably much worse than touching a pickleball.

My point is that we have reached the point of diminishing returns on this lock down approach and entering the causing more harm than good phase and we need to move on.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

No No No silence is golden
Old 04-27-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Don't you have to touch the ball after someone else touches it? We are still allowed to jog or run or ride bikes or use the outdoor gym equipment all of which would be considered physical activities and just as good if not better than pickle ball.
Does the outdoor gym equipment have to be touched to use them? I thought that equipment was off limits at this time.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:36 PM

I don't see why pickleball courts couldn't be opened assuming people could follow social distancing guidelines. Yes, you have to touch the ball but don't touch your face and after each game, wash (disinfect) your hands and the ball. It really could (and should) be a very safe game to play. Only put up 1/2 the nets and that alone would decrease the density on the courts.

I do see the problem with players standing in lines waiting to play and I'm not sure there is a good way to protect against that since too many folks just don't seem to understand. In most of the recreation activities if people would follow the rules they could be played very safely. The few are ruining the opportunities for the many.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the thoughtful response(s) but if "liability exposure" becomes the primary concern then they won't reopen for months..."assumption of the risk" should be a sufficient defense for the developer...wearing gloves won't protect you very much since you will likely touch other parts of your body with your glove...using outdoor exercise equipment is arguably much worse than touching a pickleball.

My point is that we have reached the point of diminishing returns on this lock down approach and entering the causing more harm than good phase and we need to move on.
Diminishing returns, let me play and just let a few die!
Old 04-27-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
So you touch the ball, the ball being hit through the air. Does the virus ( 1- 10,000 change it did get on the ball) stick like magnet?

Haven’t heard of one case of pickleball or tennis player that caught the virus from playing? Much higher chance going into store or walking/standing by people you don’t know.

As long as they take precautions like wipe ball, wipe hands, wipe paddle before you enter the court, don’t French kiss anyone, stick you’re fingers in you’re mouth, lick the ball.

Can’t be shut down for ever. USTA has all ready released opinions on playing in non hot spot areas.

Now will they provide balls, water, and or back to league play with large groups not likely for month or more. There NO reason not let outdoor activities start back up.

If not then, golf needs to be shut down.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Diminishing returns, let me play and just let a few die!
Bet you’re playing golf, shut that ____ down then.

Read some obituaries, quite few said they was avid golfers? I wonder when virus patients are asked questions? Is one question have you been playing golf? I haven’t read one that said they were avid pickleball or tennis players? Maybe someone needs to connect the dots?
Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
I don't see why pickleball courts couldn't be opened assuming people could follow social distancing guidelines. Yes, you have to touch the ball but don't touch your face and after each game, wash (disinfect) your hands and the ball. It really could (and should) be a very safe game to play. Only put up 1/2 the nets and that alone would decrease the density on the courts.

I do see the problem with players standing in lines waiting to play and I'm not sure there is a good way to protect against that since too many folks just don't seem to understand. In most of the recreation activities if people would follow the rules they could be played very safely. The few are ruining the opportunities for the many.
USTA has already issued guideline’s for playing in non heavy effect areas.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Does the outdoor gym equipment have to be touched to use them? I thought that equipment was off limits at this time.
Outdoor equipment have been open the entire time, we always brought wipes before using equipment, just like at a gym.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:

I believe you meant it is causing you more harm, and that would be a mental thing and not physical unless that is your choice. As mentioned before, there are alternative ways to get your excercise. Germaphobe was really a poor choice of words and could mean you don't understand the harm this virus can do physically.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-27-2020, 05:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I would think you are at lower risk playing pickle ball, than shopping at the grocery since March
Old 04-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:

Most (no, i did not measure) are minimal physical activity.

A few active hot-shots, but most are dink, dink, point.

Much healthier to walk, run, ride, row.

Refund??..........clueless.

Tags
activities, pickleball, stay, harm, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.