Can we reopen the Pickleball courts, please.

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Don't you have to touch the ball after someone else touches it? We are still allowed to jog or run or ride bikes or use the outdoor gym equipment all of which would be considered physical activities and just as good if not better than pickle ball.
Don’t you touch the handles on each exercise piece of equipment? You do. So how is that allowed and not pickleball?
Old 04-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Most (no, i did not measure) are minimal physical activity.

A few active hot-shots, but most are dink, dink, point.

Much healthier to walk, run, ride, row.

Refund??..........clueless.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Don't you have to touch the ball after someone else touches it? We are still allowed to jog or run or ride bikes or use the outdoor gym equipment all of which would be considered physical activities and just as good if not better than pickle ball.
I think you miss the point - I for one like pickleball and play 5-6 times a week for my cardio requirement. I don't like biking, and I cannot jog because of my knee. If you look at the dimensions of the court, the 4 players can maintain a 6-foot separation pretty easily if desired. One can also wear a mask. It is outdoors where the threat is less than say shopping for food. yes, you touch the ball but so what you just wash your hands like you would for any other activity like food shopping, getting gas, etc. IMO the pluses outweigh the negatives.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:25 AM

I’ll let you in on a secret. People can (and do) play Pickleball all day at PEAR Park near Lake Harris S of Leesburg. I’m also a player but choose to stay away, instead choosing to walk the trails alone also at PEAR Park to get my exercise.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argos5usa View Post
If you want everyone to sign a waiver of liability before entering the courts...fine, I'll sign it.

You want to wear a mask for the rest of your life...fine, it will probably be an improvement.

I'm sick and tired of paranoid germophobes dictating what the rest of us can or cannot do.

God bless America.
What would the waiver say? "I take full resposibility if I pass the virus on to others while playing."
Old 04-28-2020, 06:35 AM

A couple of factual points here: (1) The Developer does not own the pickleball courts, We do (through the Community Development Districts) except in the new areas. The CDDs purchase recreation facilities from the Developer generally as new areas mature. (2) We all have (are supposed to have) signed general waivers absolving the Rec department, CCD, and Developer as applicable, from liability as a result of use of any and all rec facilities. No additional waivers are needed.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
A lot of people rely on pickleball and other physical activities to keep their blood pressure down and maintain their general health...Keeping these activities closed is doing much more harm than good...either open them or partially refund amenities fees...germophobes can stay home ...enough is enough already.
This has nothing to do with germs — this is a pandemic —better a little overkill than not enough — take a walk, or a run —
Old 04-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Exactly!
Put a sign up stating ‘play at your own risk”
Old 04-28-2020, 07:08 AM
Default Pickleball

Quote:
A lot of people rely on pickleball and other physical activities to keep their blood pressure down and maintain their general health...Keeping these activities closed is doing much more harm than good...either open them or partially refund amenities fees...germophobes can stay home ...enough is enough already.
Pickleball could reopen if all were forced to wear gloves & keep the distance.
However, you ave to realize everyone touches the ball so gloves could help here.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
If you want everyone to sign a waiver of liability before entering the courts...fine, I'll sign it.

You want to wear a mask for the rest of your life...fine, it will probably be an improvement.

I'm sick and tired of paranoid germophobes dictating what the rest of us can or cannot do.

God bless America.
This statement tells me you are absolutely clueless that you are endangering OTHERS. I understand you don't care if YOU contract the disease but you are clueless that you can infect OTHERS and not be aware of it.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Touching the ball is just like you touching a door knob when you're out shopping. Yes it may be contaminated, but you disinfect before and after usage and you don't touch your face. Mitigation of risk is totally possible.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:31 AM

How about a large bowl of soapy water on the side of the pickle ball courts ... with another large bowl of clean water next to it ... keep washing your hands as you come off the court and have enough brains to avoid touching your own face while on the courts.

There has to be a way to keep The Villages activities open ... the problem is simply the people who insist on congregating forcing the developers to shut us down. You can't fix "stupid".
Old 04-28-2020, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsovas View Post
Pickleball could reopen if all were forced to wear gloves & keep the distance.
However, you ave to realize everyone touches the ball so gloves could help here.
No need for gloves. The gloves are just like a second layer of skin. Gloves can still pass on the virus with everything you touch, including your face.

Keep this in mind............wearing gloves can be detrimental in many circumstances because people do not know the proper way to remove gloves from their hands. They will take off the gloves improperly, contaminate their hands and then not wash their hands thinking they are safe.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
I don't see why pickleball courts couldn't be opened assuming people could follow social distancing guidelines. Yes, you have to touch the ball but don't touch your face and after each game, wash (disinfect) your hands and the ball. It really could (and should) be a very safe game to play. Only put up 1/2 the nets and that alone would decrease the density on the courts.

I do see the problem with players standing in lines waiting to play and I'm not sure there is a good way to protect against that since too many folks just don't seem to understand. In most of the recreation activities if people would follow the rules they could be played very safely. The few are ruining the opportunities for the many.
You said it yourself. Too many people are not following the social distancing rules and other guidelines. Not to mention that not many people are wearing the proper face masks. These are the folks that are forcing everyone's hand to isolate. Until we get widespread testing available, we need to treat everyone as though they have the virus. Remember that 20% to 50% (depending on which study you read) are infected but show no symptoms. They in turn can infect others if they're not wearing a mask or touch something that you then touch.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that hand to ball, ball to hand, hand to face is not anywhere close to the top 10 ways people have contracted this virus. If you are going to take it that far, I suppose you would also argue that one could touch their golf ball to put it on a tee, then hit it several times with a metal stick until it ultimately rolls up against a piece of PVC pipe, then the next golfer comes along and their ball also hits that PVC pipe, and in their excitement, they pick up their ball and use their hand to wipe the sweat from their brow, only to transfer virus left on the PVC pipe by the previous golf ball that the other golfer was using. Yet, somehow, golf has managed to remain open all this time. Sound absurd? It should - but now you know how many of the rest of us feel when you argue that playing pickleball or softball or tennis or bocce, or the list goes on, is a high risk activity because of common balls. That stuff was shut due to social proximity, primarily, and much of it could easily be brought back if people would just observe and practice a little common sense.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Closed Thread

Tags
activities, pickleball, stay, harm, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.