Engage Pickleball " Balls "

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

I haven't seen a post from anyone who called the recreation department and asked about the change.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 AM

For those not in the know...The Villages is a world class facility for the sport. There are many players who play here that have competed, and been successful on the national stage.

Just one of the ways The Villages is special.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

New balls clearly slow the pace of the game down and "bangers" especially don't seem to like them. I think they tend to level the playing field some and perhaps give us more "mature" players a little more time. They last a lot longer without cracking, especially in the winter. Dual balls crack a lot when temperatures are 40 or below. You clearly don't want to change balls in the middle of a game and must be aware of which ball you will be using when you go into a new game. Bottom line its a game, enjoy it and I clearly wouldn't vote for players bringing their own balls.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Like many sports, things change.

Tennis racquets have become much larger (and lighter) and golf balls fly further.

If TV decides to make the change then we, as players, need to to adapt our game accordingly.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

To answer your tournament question, a check of the USPA site shows no sanctioned tournaments using this ball.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Pickleball participant numbers have grown significantly in the past few years. It's an evolving sport in terms of equipment, style of play, ect.

If the goal is to make the sport more "fan friendly" than I get why a softer ball is being contemplated. Longer rallies, more fun to watch. The US Open in Naples has had a TV contract with CBS Sports Network, so there is interest in televising the sport.

My hope is for a ball that doesn't change drastically during it's lifetime. A Dura ball will crack, which of course ends it's lifetime, but it doesn't change significantly otherwise. The new ball gets softer during it's lifetime. I've played with the newer ball for about 3 weeks. In that time I've seen 2 removed from play due to cracking. Certainly fewer than the Dura ball in my experience.

The tournament this week is the only tournament that I know of so far that is using the Engage ball.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster52 View Post
I'm a member of the pickleball community. I'm an avid player. There is a strong consensus among many that indeed the Engage ball represents a significant change in how the game is played. Many players that I play with do not like the Engage ball. The ball gets soft quickly, it becomes "dead" and is harder to put away. The Engage ball will be used in a tournament this week, and many of us are playing with it in order to get a feel for the ball.

I hope The Villages stays with the Dura ball until a better alternative is available. The Dura ball is more fragile in the winter, and perhaps that is part of what is driving the proposal to change the ball.

I appreciate the fact The Village continues to provide balls for the players. We all play with the same ball, which establishes a consistency for all. If players were forced to buy their own balls, that consistency would probably be lost. Moreover, the attitude of "make the players buy their own..." is perhaps expressed by those who don't play the game, or sports in general. Pickleball costs have been factored in the budget for years. Trying to get players to band together and buy the same ball would be difficult as personal biases do exist when it comes to equipment.

The ball matters in many sports, consistency is key.
I agree with the above comments. I have expressed my concern to Mr. Rohan at the Rohan Rec. Center..and all I got was were looking into it.......that was 3 weeks ago.

It would be useful if other players expressed their concerns to Mr. Rohan.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

I play tennis here in the Villages and yes, we do buy our own balls. However, it also is not a drop in sport. You set up a group and know who you are playing with. Balls can be assigned and you are playing on the same court with the same balls for the entire set. Balls also have markings so you know if the ball you are playing with is one you started with.

Pickle ball here in the Villages is mostly drop in. You change courts and partners every game, which often means every 10 minutes. Assuming everyone brought their own ball, keeping track of whose ball it is would rival scoring in challenging people’s memory. I’ve occasionally been playing when there is one court that has their own ball, and their game just stops hoping someone will send the ball back down when it rolls to the other end of the courts. The only time I’ve heard less than friendly exchanges between groups has been over a ball someone owned. I wouldn’t want that to be the norm.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I agree with the above comments. I have expressed my concern to Mr. Rohan at the Rohan Rec. Center..and all I got was were looking into it.......that was 3 weeks ago.

It would be useful if other players expressed their concerns to Mr. Rohan.
Here is Mr Rohan's email address: john.Rohan@districtgov.org
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I haven't seen a post from anyone who called the recreation department and asked about the change.
Yep, just like calling about the 6 foot wind screen? Like they listen.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Here is Mr Rohan's email address: john.Rohan@districtgov.org

Waste of time
Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster52 View Post
I'm a member of the pickleball community. I'm an avid player. There is a strong consensus among many that indeed the Engage ball represents a significant change in how the game is played. Many players that I play with do not like the Engage ball. The ball gets soft quickly, it becomes "dead" and is harder to put away. The Engage ball will be used in a tournament this week, and many of us are playing with it in order to get a feel for the ball.

I hope The Villages stays with the Dura ball until a better alternative is available. The Dura ball is more fragile in the winter, and perhaps that is part of what is driving the proposal to change the ball.

I appreciate the fact The Village continues to provide balls for the players. We all play with the same ball, which establishes a consistency for all. If players were forced to buy their own balls, that consistency would probably be lost. Moreover, the attitude of "make the players buy their own..." is perhaps expressed by those who don't play the game, or sports in general. Pickleball costs have been factored in the budget for years. Trying to get players to band together and buy the same ball would be difficult as personal biases do exist when it comes to equipment.

The ball matters in many sports, consistency is key.
I play most every day, IMO ball is ball as long as we are all playing with the same ball. The problem IMO is two different types of balls in the basket. Heck even put different color ball in basket and it will not get used. You get use to feel, sound, And bounce of ball. Each ball has it good and bad points. Dura balls crack easily (too hard?), some are lopsided or bumpy, and bounce funny, low or high depending on what area the ball hits the court.

. Onix balls last for ever, but over time develop soft spots but bounce pretty consistent, but they cost more. IMO the engage ball is softer and bounce more consistent, but nobody wants to play with them to get use to them. Bottom line is villages supplies the balls. Once the dura balls are gone and month goes by the sun will rise again IMO.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Waste of time
I have always found the staff to be responsive to the residents. Never a waste of time to have a good discussion with any of them. IMO.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I have always found the staff to be responsive to the residents. Never a waste of time to have a good discussion with any of them. IMO.
Discussion says it all IMO
Old 10-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Discussion says it all IMO
Actually, a discussion on here does nothing. As has been said with many topics. Discussions with the correct people in the correct place at the correct time is need to create results. The problem is - How many are willing to take the time to do that?
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, cheap, engage, soft, pickleball

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.