Engage Pickleball " Balls "

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster52 View Post
Pickleball participant numbers have grown significantly in the past few years. It's an evolving sport in terms of equipment, style of play, ect.

If the goal is to make the sport more "fan friendly" than I get why a softer ball is being contemplated. Longer rallies, more fun to watch. The US Open in Naples has had a TV contract with CBS Sports Network, so there is interest in televising the sport.

My hope is for a ball that doesn't change drastically during it's lifetime. A Dura ball will crack, which of course ends it's lifetime, but it doesn't change significantly otherwise. The new ball gets softer during it's lifetime. I've played with the newer ball for about 3 weeks. In that time I've seen 2 removed from play due to cracking. Certainly fewer than the Dura ball in my experience.

The tournament this week is the only tournament that I know of so far that is using the Engage ball.

IMO before pickleball takes off on TV or as pro sport they will have to get rid of sidouts. Takes too long to end game for televised production. Rally score end game quicker and TV friendly. Billiards or pocket billiards didn’t become popular on tv till 9 ball cause straight pool took too long to televise match.

IMO tournaments will use ball that companies will sponsor, at end of the day it’s about money.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

When I went to my hairdresser up on 466 across from Walmart, I noticed new pickleball courts in an open field next to the hairdresser's. So I drove by there on my way out. There is a huge sign that says ENGAGE PICKLEBALL, and there looked to be four or six courts, all full. This place is not on TV property. My husband looked it up, and they are teaching people pickleball there. It seems like a curious coincidence that this place appeared within the last few months, and suddenly TV has switched to Engage pickleballs. It's clinics, drills, and leagues. Pay to play. Engage ProShop & Academy Training Center (Oxford, FL) - EngagePickleball.

I see nothing wrong with bringing your own balls if you don't like the Engage balls. People will always return your ball to you if it flies onto their court, and a simple initialing with a Sharpie takes the guesswork out of whose ball it is. No big deal IMO.

Tags
buy, cheap, engage, soft, pickleball

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.