Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Default Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

The Villages - Search for New, Pre-owned Homes and Villas in The Villages, Florida
Old 07-13-2017, 01:01 PM

You may not use any of the facilities here. As you noted, you are not eligible for or a guest pass. Only other option is to buy a home and become a Villager!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

we pay monthly fees for up keep of our pickleball courts.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboicolbs View Post
Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.
Here's a place in Leesburg.

Welcome
Old 07-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Howdy everyone,

to truly test your abilities you need to be playing people in your own age group... if you are a 4.0 and pretty young, you should easily beat a 4.5 level player that is 30 to 40years older than you...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers.
This is the worst advice I have ever seen given here and I've seen plenty. Go ahead rob the bank it's OK until you get caught.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Sage

There are a couple of church's (outside of TV) that have indoor courts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Gold member
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
This is the worst advice I have ever seen given here and I've seen plenty. Go ahead rob the bank it's OK until you get caught.
there's always someone around to tell you to bend/break the rules. Probably why there are so many complaints about people breaking the rules.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Sage

IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 07-13-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,600 Times in 1,760 Posts

They are private property. duh!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Howdy everyone,

Please play by the rules, you cannot play here, as you do not own a home, and you live too close for a guest pass. So your options are buy a house here, or convince the area where you live to put in suitable courts, then you can invite players to your court. I do not agree with any suggestions to 'slip in' to play, and if you think about it as soon as people realize you are so good, it will come out you do not live here.......

Tags
live, play, non-villages, villages, resident

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.