Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers.

Personally I don't appreciate club members advising non club members how to "sneak" in. Really ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 PM

Finally posters who have a brain!!!! Thank God sanity does exist!!!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

Your suggestion, and rightly so, is going to draw a "and what about------players". What you propose in my view should be accomplished with a private club or through a church, etc supported by entrance/monthly fees and not villages amenitiy fees nor county taxes
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Quote:
IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

I agree wholly with this. It would bring local recognition to the sport and it would make TV money. With TV being such a hotspot for pickleball, this should be a no brainer.

I wish Sumter County had the $$$ for that.

I do see that everyone here pays fees to use the amenities, and I agree that normal play should be limited to those who are paying. With that being said, people would definitely pay to play in tournaments, even if they were held monthly or bimonthly and those who aren't residents only being allowed to play at those designated times.

And, a mostly unrelated side note:

Where do you guys buy your pickleball gear? i buy balls from Dick's Sporting goods, as they sell the official ball for the majority of the tournaments i've played in. The paddle selection there is rather weak.

I have a deal with a smaller company called "Amazin' Aces", and they've sent me each release of their paddles. I can speak to the quality of their products. If anyone is interested, check them out at the site below. Tell them Colby sent you!

Amazin' Aces Pickleball | Pickleball Paddles For Beginners To Pros!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Personally I don't appreciate club members advising non club members how to "sneak" in. Really ???

Not advising, just telling like is is
Old 07-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
This is the worst advice I have ever seen given here and I've seen plenty. Go ahead rob the bank it's OK until you get caught.
Evidently you not aware of your surroundings. I don't like it one bit either, but there are rule breakers around. With little ID checks on outdoor facilities they sneak in. No one should be using our facilities without resident ID pass or visitors pass period. Just telling it is. The only courts I have been consistently checked for my I'd has been Chula Vista. That employee runs tight ship over there. I congratulate her for doing her job!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Your suggestion, and rightly so, is going to draw a "and what about------players". What you propose in my view should be accomplished with a private club or through a church, etc supported by entrance/monthly fees and not villages amenitiy fees nor county taxes
IMO They only way that will work is some rich guy/gal donations large sum of cash and land donated. There no way facilities can be built and operate on courts fees being charged. Until somebody steps up to the plate and city gets on board it pipe dream.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not advising, just telling like is is

Keep it within the members. Not cool at all.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
IMHO:

Your opinion means nothing posted here to get any action. Go talk to the Sumter County Commisioners.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 07-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Evidently you not aware of your surroundings. I don't like it one bit either, but there are rule breakers around. With little ID checks on outdoor facilities they sneak in. No one should be using our facilities without resident ID pass or visitors pass period. Just telling it is. The only courts I have been consistently checked for my I'd has been Chula Vista. That employee runs tight ship over there. I congratulate her for doing her job!
But why suggest to someone to break the rules? Is that helping to stop rule breakers??
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage

Consideration should be given to issuing official trespass as I bet the unauthorized people that use the facilities do so often.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
But why suggest to someone to break the rules? Is that helping to stop rule breakers??
I don't recall my sentence starting as suggestion, simply telling like it is. The elites run card carrying villages off there special rec center for they're little click.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers.
I can help you recall
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default Taxing jurisdiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboicolbs View Post
Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.
OP, whatever taxing jurisdiction you live in the Tri County area, I would approach them for construction of some Pickleball Courts. Assuming there are other interested players, I would organize with them and made an effort to "Sell" this to your County or City or perhaps Park District if you have one. We pay for our courts here in The Villages and they are only for Villagers and their guests. Pickleball is a fast growing sport and Courts are popping up all around the country so why not where you live and pay taxes. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

As a new resident, I am confused by this tri-county rule. Which are these? Why doesn't TV offer for say, 300.00 a month for a pass. Twice the current fee, Only serious players would pay that much. (Insurance perhaps?)

Still learning the whys and wherefores of this unique community.
Closed Thread

Tags
live, play, non-villages, villages, resident

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.