Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Sage

IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 07-13-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Sage

Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

They are private property. duh!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboicolbs View Post
Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.
Please play by the rules, you cannot play here, as you do not own a home, and you live too close for a guest pass. So your options are buy a house here, or convince the area where you live to put in suitable courts, then you can invite players to your court. I do not agree with any suggestions to 'slip in' to play, and if you think about it as soon as people realize you are so good, it will come out you do not live here.......
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers.

Personally I don't appreciate club members advising non club members how to "sneak" in. Really ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 PM

Finally posters who have a brain!!!! Thank God sanity does exist!!!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

Your suggestion, and rightly so, is going to draw a "and what about------players". What you propose in my view should be accomplished with a private club or through a church, etc supported by entrance/monthly fees and not villages amenitiy fees nor county taxes
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
IMHO:

I agree wholly with this. It would bring local recognition to the sport and it would make TV money. With TV being such a hotspot for pickleball, this should be a no brainer.

I wish Sumter County had the $$$ for that.

I do see that everyone here pays fees to use the amenities, and I agree that normal play should be limited to those who are paying. With that being said, people would definitely pay to play in tournaments, even if they were held monthly or bimonthly and those who aren't residents only being allowed to play at those designated times.

And, a mostly unrelated side note:

Where do you guys buy your pickleball gear? i buy balls from Dick's Sporting goods, as they sell the official ball for the majority of the tournaments i've played in. The paddle selection there is rather weak.

I have a deal with a smaller company called "Amazin' Aces", and they've sent me each release of their paddles. I can speak to the quality of their products. If anyone is interested, check them out at the site below. Tell them Colby sent you!

Amazin' Aces Pickleball | Pickleball Paddles For Beginners To Pros!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Personally I don't appreciate club members advising non club members how to "sneak" in. Really ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not advising, just telling like is is
Closed Thread

Tags
live, play, non-villages, villages, resident