Options for morning open pickleball play?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Default Options for morning open pickleball play?

As a new Villager (Sanibel), I have already discovered what I would call a good 3.5 to 4.0 group playing Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings at Colony Cottage. Are there similar level groups playing other mornings/locations, especially those not too far from 466A? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I am a new Villager too and will be moving in officially mid-September in Pinellas. I am very interested in pickleball, but as a beginner. I am also interested in responses/advice where to start to find drop-in or a beginner group.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

The best thing to do is take the lessons of the beginners meet some people there and develop your own little group pickle ball players are very cliquish when it comes to allowing an outsider to play for fear that you will be an inferior player or you might even better than they are and then they will certainly cast you aside
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 PM

I recommend that u check out the Rec. news every Thursday in the paper. Read each rec center info and u will find when there is scheduled play for ur playing ability. You can then talk with those u play with as to when else and where else they play. I also highly recommend for the new beginners to take the classes 101 & 102 & advanced pickleball that r offered for Pickleball.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
The best thing to do is take the lessons of the beginners meet some people there and develop your own little group pickle ball players are very cliquish when it comes to allowing an outsider to play for fear that you will be an inferior player or you might even better than they are and then they will certainly cast you aside
I am new to TV (and PB) and am very interested in playing PB.

Your comments are appreciated, however they raise some concern for me and I would like to better understand from where you offer them. Would you mind offering a little more of your perspective behind them?

Are you currently playing PB here in the Villages? How large is your group?

Have you personally experienced being shut out by the cliquish PB players?

Is there any other way to find people to play PB other than to form your own group(s)?

I had assumed there is some mechanism in place to group players together by skill level. Are you saying it is not based upon some set of objective standards but is based upon a personal or who-you-know decision process?

I have no basis to judge your comments and would appreciate more insight from you before I venture into to the world of TV PB.

Thanks
Don
An aspiring TV PB player.....

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Sage

As others have suggested, take the classes. The Thurs rec news has the schedule for all the court locations. It will indicate if a time slot is beginner, intermediate, advanced...open play (just show up) or organized (a fixed group or league). There are many opportunities. As you meet other players they will be able to point you to various groups and locations that play at different levels.

To Shooter's comments, the common sense interpretation is .... don't show up at an Advanced group if you are a beginner. Not good for you or the others. Generally, you want to play with a group of comparable skills. I play in a very friendly decent intermediate group that is very welcoming to newcomers.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
As others have suggested, take the classes. The Thurs rec news has the schedule for all the court locations. It will indicate if a time slot is beginner, intermediate, advanced...open play (just show up) or organized (a fixed group or league). There are many opportunities. As you meet other players they will be able to point you to various groups and locations that play at different levels.

To Shooter's comments, the common sense interpretation is .... don't show up at an Advanced group if you are a beginner. Not good for you or the others. Generally, you want to play with a group of comparable skills. I play in a very friendly decent intermediate group that is very welcoming to newcomers.
I second what Villages07 said, with strong emphasis on taking pb 101, 102, 103, several times if necessary. They're free. If you've played tennis or squash before, you will catch on quickly and the classes will help you learn the rules and some court strategy. Then you can go on to the Advanced Beginner and Intermediate clinics held once a month.

Go to any rec center and pick up a white paper near the rec magazine that tells when and where the pickleball classes are held. You can sign up mostly by calling the rec center up to one week in advance.

Use the rec magazine to learn when open play for your level is held, and where. You have to look at each rec center's PB schedule. Write downthe ones that interest you so you will have a list. You might meet people at those "open play" times who play in groups; that's the best way to learn about individual groups at your level that would welcome you.

And yes, you will be subtly shown if you are in the wrong group level for your ability. Or not so subtly. It really isn't fair to anyone playing if you are trying to play with a group way above your level.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone for the input.....
Perhaps we will have an opportunity to meet at an upcoming PB venue.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM

We have a group of beginner pickleball players that play at 7am at Bradenton. We all head to the pool after pickleball around 9:30. Stop by and we'll get you started!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Default pickleball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiMike View Post
As a new Villager (Sanibel), I have already discovered what I would call a good 3.5 to 4.0 group playing Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings at Colony Cottage. Are there similar level groups playing other mornings/locations, especially those not too far from 466A? Thanks.
I would like to find a way to learn more about the game. I know the 101 group gives lessons, however I am unable to make the Thursday lessons. Anyone know of any other lesson available, any other day will do just not Thursday?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
I would like to find a way to learn more about the game. I know the 101 group gives lessons, however I am unable to make the Thursday lessons. Anyone know of any other lesson available, any other day will do just not Thursday?
In a couple of months or less, there will be many more options for 101,102, & 103. Keep checking the pickleball white page at the rec centers every month for the new sheet. As people come back for the season, more classes are added.

You can also call Deb Harrison and/or Lydia (forget last name) for private lessons. ($30-$40, depending on who's teaching and for how many). I don't have their numbers, but contact the rec dept. for those.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM

I think Don asks some very good questions and others have provided excellent suggestions. For those special "cliques" who are just so above all the rest of us, or at least think they are, you don't have to be a jerk to offer suggestions to all levels of players. I thought The Villages was America's Friendliest Hometown! I guess the "subtle cliques" are not part of that same town. That's sad. SO Don, I think you and other beginners should take the classes and then just partner up with other beginners until you feel comfortable playing at a more advanced level. Let's just all have fun.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.