In a pickle over pickleball 101

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default In a pickle over pickleball 101

I need some beginner Pickleball advice.

I've been trying to schedule / complete Pickleball 101 for nearly a month now. Finally got the 1st 20 minutes in yesterday before the rain came.

Scheduling for this session is nearly impossible.....call a week in advance, rainouts not automatically rescheduled for the next session, etc.

Advice needed is:
  • Can I play without completing this course?
  • Are there alternatives to this course for a beginner to learn?
  • Are there groups or open play sessions for beginners?
I'm ready to play, I want to play, but circumstances seem to be a barrier.

Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post

I've been trying to schedule / complete Pickleball 101 for nearly a month now. Finally got the 1st 20 minutes in yesterday before the rain came.

Scheduling for this session is nearly impossible.....call a week in advance, rainouts not automatically rescheduled for the next session, etc.

Advice needed is:

Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
Check out this site, can help you till you get into the class:

http://pickleballcoach.com/forums/index.php

When you are comfortable just go to a rec center and get in line.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Hi,

I understand your frustration. I used to teach what is now called 102. If you go and play in "open play" where you just get in line and play with others, they are going to expect you to know the rules. This is why the beginner program was started.

At the end of the three step beginner program , you should be ready to play open play. Until you know the rules, others may not be all that overjoyed to teach you. They are there to play.

I would go to the usapa web site and try reading the rules. Once you understand the rules , you will be much better equiped for open play.

jeff
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Default Pickleball Teaching Pro

We now have a pickleball teaching pro in the villages, her name is Deb Harrison.She works thru the lifelong learning college. A private lesson may be the way to go for you. Contact the college for info.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to mbchnut
Default Looking for other beginners

We're with you Tpop. Someone told us you need to call the rec center one week before the class at 8:30 A.M. in order to be sure of a spot the next week. We did that and got into 101. We are now trying to get into 102. We called too late this week. We were so excited after 101 and wanted to get out there and try out our skills. We are looking for other beginners who may want to play with us. We just moved in the end of December and have not met any other pickelball players. Anyone interested?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

The class is easy to get into in the summer. It does teach you the basics & rules. You can also show up at the class and be put on a list for no shows. At about 5 min before the class they may let a number of people in. Sometimes people sign up and forget. You can also go and sit on the bench and watch the class.
You can play without the class. I recommend going to a rec center in the early morning and there are usually groups that need a player or 2.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Used to be a MB Nut also...

Hi Myrtle Beach,

I used to be a MB Nut also...had a nice condo on Bay Tree for 10 years....sold it to move to FL after a couple of cold Januarys...sort of like the weather we've had this winter!!!

I finally got done with 101 a few weeks ago and 3 Bonita neighbors and I started playing once a week. Also trying to get into 102.

The other afternoon, Wed. went to Colony Cottage just to watch the Beginner Open play and see how my game fit in.
I got asked to play a game.(Luckily a Rec. Dept. paddle was sitting there on the bench) and did not feel like I was that far behind the group.

I plan to continue to attend the Beginner Open sessions....there are at least one per day except Tuseday at various Rec. Centers. Good way to learn to play.

Good luck and if you get any newbees to play, I'd be happy to join you. Truly open courts are mainly late PM. Let me know via private email.

Len
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Question any answers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post

Advice needed is:

Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.
Did you get any answers? I am looking to join classes too! Please.... SOMEBODY HELP!
Thanks,
Karron Murphy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.