pickleball etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
Wanted to check before I misspoke...there is no "as a rule" that beginners can't play before 10 AM. Any advanced players that want a specific time slot has to apply and have it scheduled. While it's true that many "better" players like to play in the mornings, the courts are OPEN unless otherwise noted. You will run in to people that will play with you, and some that would prefer not to, but you can still go and get in line and play and learn. Those that are too advanced for this play have found specific courts where their rating of players play, and they may have to travel to do so, but that is their choice. Meanwhile, they cannot prohibit less talented players from the courts they choose to play at.
From the recreation department on the beginner pickleball program: "At all levels of instruction we recommend students practice what they have learned for two weeks before they progress to the next class level. While you are in the Beginner Program, practice is very important to help you master your new skills. The Beginner Program Schedule shows the times the courts are set aside for students so they can feel comfortable developing their game with players at a similar level. Open Play at courts from 7-10am throughout The Villages is NOT recommended for students. (Emphasis by the Rec Dept).

Given that this thread is about pickeleball "etiquette" I would say this is sage advice.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Wanted to check before I misspoke...there is no "as a rule" that beginners can't play before 10 AM. Any advanced players that want a specific time slot has to apply and have it scheduled. While it's true that many "better" players like to play in the mornings, the courts are OPEN unless otherwise noted. You will run in to people that will play with you, and some that would prefer not to, but you can still go and get in line and play and learn. Those that are too advanced for this play have found specific courts where their rating of players play, and they may have to travel to do so, but that is their choice. Meanwhile, they cannot prohibit less talented players from the courts they choose to play at.

/////
Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

"students", not beginners. Maybe we are looking at the term "beginner" in different lights. I am meaning someone after the offered classes. I still consider myself a (kinda) beginner, although I have been playing a while. I am not rated, nor do I care to be, have not taken any "clinics", but enjoy playing. Several times, players at courts declined to play with my friends and I, or made a lot of faces and comments because we were there. My comment about moving on was from experience. I know better rated players that have moved on to different courts to seek players at their level.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmanf View Post
Wow what happened to good old fun. Sounds like trying to play pickleball is a hassle
Lot's of standing in line...
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Lot's of standing in line...
Only during snowbird season.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
"students", not beginners. Maybe we are looking at the term "beginner" in different lights. I am meaning someone after the offered classes. I still consider myself a (kinda) beginner, although I have been playing a while. I am not rated, nor do I care to be, have not taken any "clinics", but enjoy playing. Several times, players at courts declined to play with my friends and I, or made a lot of faces and comments because we were there. My comment about moving on was from experience. I know better rated players that have moved on to different courts to seek players at their level.

I think so, IMO your not beginner! You know how to keep score, where to stand, and probably can hit the ball back and forth. IMO that would be immediate or avanced beginner which IMO again good for open play at majority Rec. centers
The unwritten rule Saddlebrook and Minoa open are 4.5 and 5.0 clicks
Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I think so, IMO your not beginner! You know how to keep score, where to stand, and probably can hit the ball back and forth. IMO that would be immediate or avanced beginner which IMO again good for open play at majority Rec. centers
The unwritten rule Saddlebrook and Minoa open are 4.5 and 5.0 clicks
Well, then. I'm better than I thought!! That makes me happy. And, yes, I did hear about the "click thing" at certain places. Who I'm speaking of found a nice group of non-clickies to play with. I guess I'm just sensitive to people that wanna come play and are ashamed of making a fool of themselves or too intimidated to play. I really do enjoy the game, and we have a lot of laughs. I'm just not very competitive, I guess. I always say I'm rated a strong .0005. Maybe by now, I'm a 1.5!!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage

Don't sell yourself short. IMO 75 % have the same outlook as you and me, just like to play and have fun. Few at Saddlebrook is the only place I heard of were they get nasty.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don't sell yourself short. IMO 75 % have the same outlook as you and me, just like to play and have fun. Few at Saddlebrook is the only place I heard of were they get nasty.
Grazie! That's my objective...fun, laughs and maybe even some (shudder) exercise!! Happy Day to you....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.