Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

Old 05-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,617 Times in 436 Posts
Default Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

While waiting in line, just let folks know that you are a beginner who is here for 'beginner open play', and that you would like to play with other beginners. Then it is a simple matter of shuffling folks in line to make that happen. Remember, there is no rule stating that you have to walk out onto the court when you are first in line. You can let others go ahead of you and wait for others to join you at the front.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
While waiting in line, just let folks know that you are a beginner who is here for 'beginner open play', and that you would like to play with other beginners. Then it is a simple matter of shuffling folks in line to make that happen.

Remember, there is no rule stating that you have to walk out onto the court when you are first in line.

You can let others go ahead of you and wait for others to join you at the front.
Good advise!

We all go through this when starting.

Nicer players adjust and try to help the newbees- practice the soft their game and try to feed balls they have a chance to hit.

Try to make friends with people you enjoy playing with a pick a time to get together.

Enjoy the game!

Old 05-14-2023, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

There are some players in all sports who like to play against lesser opposition, it makes them feel better about themselves.
If your ultra beginners is a class, and if I were the coach/organizer, I would turf the obviously non-beginners out.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:43 AM

What time is this beginners open play and where, that you are attending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
While waiting in line, just let folks know that you are a beginner who is here for 'beginner open play', and that you would like to play with other beginners. Then it is a simple matter of shuffling folks in line to make that happen. Remember, there is no rule stating that you have to walk out onto the court when you are first in line. You can let others go ahead of you and wait for others to join you at the front.
Excellent advice - thank you - I guess I was feeling “when you’re up, you’re up”.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
What time is this beginners open play and where, that you are attending?
I mix it up and play all over the place - today I played at Water Lily.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:02 PM

Are you playing between 7-10am? These times are OPEN play....meaning any level.
Or are you specifically going to Beg Open play that is scheduled in the Rec News?
Just wanted to clarify but it seems you are attending the latter, based on below comment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I mix it up and play all over the place - today I played at Water Lily.

Last edited by roob1; 05-14-2023 at 12:08 PM.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
are you playing between 7-10am?
10-12

Old 05-14-2023, 12:51 PM

"Beginner" to me encompasses quite a wide range of ability.People with natural athletic skills just starting to learn pickleball will be more skilled than "weekend warrior" types, who may have average or less physical abilities. Athletically talented players can be very good beginners, but still beginners. They will climb up the skill level latter more quickly than the average Joe. Thus you may have a mix for awhile, until the more talented players move on and up. Eventually each will find his place with similar level players.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Michael, your situation is common. Sometimes it's a matter of stronger players wanting to beat weaker players, but more often it is a matter of players being afraid to move up as they improve, into the next stronger division. As suggested before, if you find yourself in a group that seems to be too strong for you, and the numbers keep working out that you are playing with the same 4-some every turn, step aside and invite someone else to take your place. When you find the compatible skill level, those players will be as happy to see you as you are to find them. Try to stick with that group.
Also, very often people will exchange names and contact information, in order to form groups of compatible players and set up times outside of open play. This opens up a world of pickleball and social life.
Four years ago my wife was a brand new beginner. Now she's a solid intermediate, with more pickleball friends than I can keep track of. She has more groups and invitations than she can accept.

That's The Villages, Baby/

Old 05-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

My wife went through the same thing. At one court beginner play began at 10 but the advanced players that started during open play refused to leave. The people at that particular rec center refused to do anything about it. Some rec centers (Mulberry especially) were good about monitoring it. My wife finally quit PB and took up golf.

Don't give up. State to the line you are a beginner looking for other beginners to play. Maybe, those that are sandbagging will be shamed into shuffling around.

I teach two PCVG beginner groups and I always warn them to avoid the bullies that are too often on the beginner courts. It's a pet peeve of mine.....can you tell? lol

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else

Old 05-14-2023, 05:56 PM

Fascinating to see someone else mirror my experience. My wife and I consider ourselves athletic, but were also 'intimidated' right out of the game by playing at 'Beginner open' advertised times, where it became obvious to us that few were actual beginner's. We began to recognize the 'pickleball snobs' of the community. At multiple venues I might add. We finally just decided to keep the paddles on the shelf and continue on our quest to become professional golfer's. I'm sure we'll revisit someday, and I fully realize that had we persisted, I'm sure we would have found a compatible and nurturing group-but in the meantime we should all try to counter those with attitudes.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
"Beginner" to me encompasses quite a wide range of ability.People with natural athletic skills just starting to learn pickleball will be more skilled than "weekend warrior" types, who may have average or less physical abilities. Athletically talented players can be very good beginners, but still beginners. They will climb up the skill level latter more quickly than the average Joe. Thus you may have a mix for awhile, until the more talented players move on and up. Eventually each will find his place with similar level players.
No, there are more than a few "veterans", who have been playing for years, who enjoy beating the crap out beginners. It's an ego thing...

The Boss and my first foray into pickleball ended badly. We had watched the video, taken both Beginning Pickleball part 1 & 2, but had never actually played...

While waiting in line, there was an obvious veteran (he had ALL the gear, much of it quite shopworn), spouting off about how he hates it when "these newbies" show up, and don't know what they are doing...

We were taken aback, and figured that was our invitation to leave... We stuck around, just to watch for a while (btw, you can learn a lot watching others play), and we saw this guy absolutely crush his opponents. The joy he took in doing so was so off putting, we seriously considered giving up before we started...

But we took Pickleball Part 2 a 2nd time, felt much better about our game and when to a different Open Beginners rec center. The people we played with were so much more accepting and inviting. Offering tips, and putting up with out mistakes. We also found that at pretty much any rec center we played at. The other players we inviting, encouraging and quite nice.

When I had to return north to work, my wife stayed in TV and kept playing.

She's met several very nice people, and has run into them at various courts...

One final thing... She was paired up with another single and they were playing against another "bully"... Neither she, nor her partner could return very many serves, and the game wasn't fun for anyone (except for the bully). She finally called him out, asking why he was playing "beginner's pickleball" when he was obviously a much better player? He then became quite condescending, lobbing serves, asking "Is that one okay?", "Did I hit it too hard?" She told him to "Stop being an ass! We're here to have fun!" (she's had practice saying that when talking to me! )

When the game was over, he gathered up his stuff and left. Several people in line then thanked her, saying he was a regular, who always played like that...

Just show up, enjoy the game, ignore the jerks. Sadly, you'll run into one of them from time to time. Just smile and do your best.

-Tom Petty

Old 05-14-2023, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
Fascinating to see someone else mirror my experience. My wife and I consider ourselves athletic, but were also 'intimidated' right out of the game by playing at 'Beginner open' advertised times, where it became obvious to us that few were actual beginner's. We began to recognize the 'pickleball snobs' of the community. At multiple venues I might add. We finally just decided to keep the paddles on the shelf and continue on our quest to become professional golfer's. I'm sure we'll revisit someday, and I fully realize that had we persisted, I'm sure we would have found a compatible and nurturing group-but in the meantime we should all try to counter those with attitudes.
Wait, who are you and why are you posting my story???

Keep trying, you'll find your niche... Ignore the jerks (or call them out, like my wife did...)

Speaking of golf, I remember heading out as a single on one of the championship courses one afternoon...

I was paired with 3 women, who became very nervous when I showed up.

They were obviously beginners, but we all were at one time, right?

I think I scared the crap out of them when I striped my first drive right down the middle (probably the only one that afternoon...) But they persisted...

The only advice I gave them, was If you're going to play badly, do it quickly...

We had an absolutely wonderful time! They were a hoot! I don't think I ever had that much fun playing golf! They trash talked better than most of the guys I play with...

We exchanged numbers as they wanted to play with me again... Unfortunately, we haven't been able to make that happen, yet...

-Tom Petty

Tags
play, open, beginners, playing, practice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.