Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2023, 10:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

The 4 or 5 PB courts I go to have been dead for the last two weeks from 8-12.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Default Open Play -- all levels & Beginner/Advanced Beginner

Given that several months have passed since my "beginner" angst arose, I am happy to report that one does develop a thick(er) skin for playing with/dealing with slammers. You begin to realize that it is not your personal lack of skill that is at issue, but more about the slammers need to dominate the court.

I am entirely comfortable now with Open Play (all levels) using this as an opportunity to face higher skilled players who mentor me and using my mid-range talents to help others.

I stay away from Intermediate Open Play -- where I don't belong...
Old 08-27-2023, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Speaking of golf, I remember heading out as a single on one of the championship courses one afternoon...I was paired with 3 women, who became very nervous when I showed up. They were obviously beginners, but we all were at one time, right?

I think I scared the crap out of them when I striped my first drive right down the middle (probably the only one that afternoon...)

We had an absolutely wonderful time! They were a hoot! I don't think I ever had that much fun playing golf! They trash talked better than most of the guys I play with...
great story!

Amateurs (all of us) should only play seriously if there is money or trophies involved. . otherwise, golf is all in fun, and a bit of humor is always helpful on the 8th putt. .
Old 08-27-2023, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
great story!

Amateurs (all of us) should only play seriously if there is money or trophies involved. . otherwise, golf is all in fun, and a bit of humor is always helpful on the 8th putt. .
My new favorite dig (when someone leaves a birdie putt short) is to comment "Laying up on that putt was an interesting strategy, let's see if it works for you..."

-Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2023, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
In order for me to play with my wife I have to play "beneath" my level, but the common courtesy when doing so is to try to keep points going by hitting shots that are challenging for the opponent, but not intimidating or impossible to return.

Of course, sometimes this is harder than hitting the obvious winner, and a shot I would have easily put away goes into the net and makes me look like a doofus. But that's OK. Egos should be put aside when playing in that circumstance.

Also infuriating is the guy who should be playing a step or two higher, but loves to hit drives at weaker players. Often the weaker player is a player who may not even have the hand-eye coordination to protect his or her face from the shot. I've had words with a few of these guys. It is perfectly acceptable to refuse to be on the court with them. Believe me, everyone in the line knows who this guy is, and he should be shunned until he finds the group where he belongs and isn't dangerous.
Just a question. Do you think these more skilled players show up for beginner class because they cannot beat someone at their level? I know it seems unfair, but maybe this is the case. They aren't true beginners but are people who need to sharpen their skills. I have no idea. I do not play court sports because of bad knees.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
My wife went through the same thing. At one court beginner play began at 10 but the advanced players that started during open play refused to leave. The people at that particular rec center refused to do anything about it. Some rec centers (Mulberry especially) were good about monitoring it. My wife finally quit PB and took up golf.

Don't give up. State to the line you are a beginner looking for other beginners to play. Maybe, those that are sandbagging will be shamed into shuffling around.

I teach two PCVG beginner groups and I always warn them to avoid the bullies that are too often on the beginner courts. It's a pet peeve of mine.....can you tell? lol
Mulberry is unique due to separate two sides, usually beginner times are on one side of court which last time I look was the south side? The other side and end courts are open play till noon where the courts are reserved. The north side has always been “some say” more advanced.

I use to go Chula Vista the lady there use to run tight ship. She was only one at those courts that came out and ran open players off at 10Am when beginning play was scheduled. I have never be anywhere else where they do that.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Just a question. Do you think these more skilled players show up for beginner class because they cannot beat someone at their level? I know it seems unfair, but maybe this is the case. They aren't true beginners but are people who need to sharpen their skills. I have no idea. I do not play court sports because of bad knees.
I doubt it, the just show late for open play and won’t get off court at 10am. Saddlebrook use to be real bad, but I haven’t played down there in couple years.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

The fastest way to improve your game as a beginner is individual or very small group instruction.

I teach two classes each week as a part of PCVG programs. I also instruct beginners individually. Having the basic shots and knowing where to be on the court is key.

PM me if you are interested.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-27-2023, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Years ago we found the same, beginner and multiple players winning—- to zip. We noticed many just enjoying kicking the crap out of everyone. While they were polite, usually one would mention you really need to take lessons. Then continue to play for as long as they could hold court, playing 7 days a week.

We finally just sat one day, watched those who were truly beginners trying to enjoy a new sport. Then waited while they got beat with zero on their end. Then approach the beginner. We ended up have 20 players that got together all close to the same level. Each week we all seemed to improve, and had a great time, looking forward to the next game. Just look around you will find some to play with

Tags
play, open, beginners, playing, practice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.