Pickleball Scoring Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Default Pickleball Scoring Question

When I took Pickleball 101 and 102 this summer, I'm 99 and 44/100 % sure we were taught to say:

1) the server number (start,1 or 2)
2) The serving team's score
3) the other team's score

upon coming back to Tennessee and playing with some folks here, they called the score like this:

1) The serving team's score
2) the other team's score
3) the server number (1 or 2)

I assumed they were doing it wrong but went along with their way and looked it up in the rules when I got home. According to the International Federation of Pickleball rules (which have been adopted by the USA Pickleball Association) at the end of section 10 (Scoring...) I found the following:

"IFP Comment: The proper sequence for calling the score is server score, receiver score, then server 1 or server 2."

So here are my questions:

1) Am I crazy or are they teaching us to say the server number first in Pickleball 101 and 102?

2) If I'm not crazy, does anybody know why the folks that teach the courses are teaching us to say the score backwards? Seems like that would cause problems when we go anyplace out of The Villages to play...

By the way, after trying it both ways, as a beginner, i think it's much easier to do it the way it is in the rules for some reason - maybe 'cause it's the normal way of calling the score in all other racket games with just adding the server number at the end - I know it doesn't seem like it would make a difference, but it seems to make it easier to remember the score (at least for me)...

Last edited by Wayne_TN; 12-11-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Sage

I don't know what they taught you in the classes but we say

1) The serving team's score
2) the other team's score
3) the server number (1 or 2) or start when the first server is serving in a new game.

(wife and I play about 5 days a week, two hours each day)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Default Thanks Chuck

Thanks Chuck - I hope I am confused and they didn't really teach us backwards - I really like the "official" way and hope that's the way folks call the score in TV. But being outnumbered 10,000 to one, I guess even if they are teaching us a non-standard method and that's what everybody down there uses, I will have to just adopt the philosophy of "When In Rome..."
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Gold member

I seriously doubt that the instructors here told you the say the score the way you think they did. I have never heard it said that way.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Default Good Answer.

Thanks, Mudder.

This is one of the few times I would be glad to find out I am wrong. It sounds from your reply that the normal way to call out the score in TV is Server's score first, then Other Team, then Start, 1, or 2 - Right??
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Gold member

Right Wayne ! Now you no longer need to fret over saying the wrong thing. Just relax and enjoy pickelball for the fun game it is !
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Default Thanks.

Thanks, Mudder! Problem solved - I've never been so glad to be wrong...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.