Which racquet sport to choose

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Default Which racquet sport to choose

My husband and I are thinking of moving to TV. Presently I play tennis 5 times a week in season, and three times a week in the winter, leaving days open for paddle tennis. I play to a 3.5/4.0 level.

To you tennis players that retired to TV, did you find enough tennis to satisfy your addiction? Or did you switch over to paddle or pickleball? Or do you play all three?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 PM

I play tennis 3x/wk (3.5 level) and pickleball 3x/wk (4.0 level). There's plenty of pb open play everyday in the mornings. There's open tennis also, but the levels are mixed. I suggest finding a closed group looking for players at your level. You will find many closed groups looking for new members. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Sage

You have a choice of tennis, platform tennis, or pickleball. There are no paddle tennis courts that I know of. Some people confuse platform with paddle, but they are two different games. Pickleball is closer to paddle tennis than platform tennis.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Actually you have many choices. Added to the above badminton, table tennis, masters tennis, and beach tennis. There are groups of all levels of tennis. Most tennis players quickly pickup pickleball and find it enjoyable and can be highly competitive depending on what level you obtain or just for fun.

You can play PB everyday from 7am to at least 10am in open times at all levels depending on location. You can even play singles PB scheduled twice week.

Organized country club tennis at Glenview tennis center and individual group organized play all over the villages. IMO as more baby boomers retire and move here it will just get better. Not week goes by that I don't play with newbie usually.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 PM

If you decide to stick with tennis, be kind to pickleball players. Most of the tennis players here are very arrogant to the pickleball courts.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 PM

If you are a good sport and just enjoy playing make sure you sort out the bad guys and find the right place to play
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 AM

Are the platform courts raised with slats? Or are they a surface closer to a tennis hardcourt?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Glenview Tennis Club has lots of good tennis. Great courts.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Are the platform courts raised with slats? Or are they a surface closer to a tennis hardcourt?
They are ground level hardcourts with no slats (no need for a heater underneath or slats to drain).
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Glenview Tennis Club has lots of good tennis. Great courts.
But you do have to pay to play there, don't you?

I play a lot of pickle ball and have never been yelled at by a tennis player. I'm scratching my head over that comment...

Tags
tennis, play, paddle, times, week, 3.5/4.0, level, retired, players, pickleball, switch, satisfy, addiction, find, thinking, husband, racquet, sport, choose, moving, presently, leaving, days, open, winter