Wandering on to a court in play

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Wandering on to a court in play

Is it acceptable for players not in a game to wander behind the players or between the courts during play?

I ask because we often (at least once a match) see pickle ball players wandering onto our tennis courts during a point at those facilities where pickleball and tennis share a short fence. In tennis it’s considered very dangerous, as in tennis we use the area all the way to the fence. But
I’m guessing it would be normal if I wandered onto a pickle ball court to cut through to the tennis courts?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Not normal but can happen by accident.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Is it acceptable for players not in a game to wander behind the players or between the courts during play?

I ask because we often (at least once a match) see pickle ball players wandering onto our tennis courts during a point at those facilities where pickleball and tennis share a short fence. In tennis it’s considered very dangerous, as in tennis we use the area all the way to the fence. But
I’m guessing it would be normal if I wandered onto a pickle ball court to cut through to the tennis courts?
Why don't you discuss this with the wandering players?
What if all the responses here said it was not acceptable....what would you then do?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

It is not acceptable. However, it is somewhat common place. What happens is that people are thinking about getting to their destination (usually a court to start a game) and forget to stop and make sure play is not in progress before they cross. Oops.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Actually, what's really happening here is that the pickleball player knows his fellow players would get ****ed if he walked on their court during play. He doesn't know the tennis players, and assumes they are not nearly as serious (after all, tennis is viewed as a minor, inconsequential sport in the villages), therefore no respect for tennis or those playing it. It's not right, but it's the truth.

I've even seen a villages sales associate walk a group of potential buyers onto our active tennis court to watch pickleball!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwfontan View Post
Actually, what's really happening here is that the pickleball player knows his fellow players would get ****ed if he walked on their court during play. He doesn't know the tennis players, and assumes they are not nearly as serious (after all, tennis is viewed as a minor, inconsequential sport in the villages), therefore no respect for tennis or those playing it. It's not right, but it's the truth.

I've even seen a villages sales associate walk a group of potential buyers onto our active tennis court to watch pickleball!
The Villages is Pickleball Paradise

I have a friend who came to the Villages for six weeks as a pickleball instructor. It must be very serious here in the Villages. She is coming from another community here in Florida which has pickleball fever.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM

It is very rude to walk across any court when players are set up to play making them wait while you walk across to your destination. Wait until the point completes then walk in Back of the court. I think its called Entitlement.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwfontan View Post

I would definitely speak up about that. That's just rude.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Depends on If the players are just BSing or point is over. Course if they opened the gate and walked in during a point, then that's inappropriate and dangerous. If you not playing point what difference does it make?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Where I play PB , everyone seems to be very courteous. And , we never step onto the tennis courts and always return their balls as we can’t use them!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Where I play PB , everyone seems to be very courteous. And , we never step onto the tennis courts and always return their balls as we can’t use them!
Yes, my experience also, occasionally you get newbie that coming in the gate or behind court while play going on. IMO tennis and pickleball courts should be separated. Seasoned tennis players don't like the noise or motion behind courts. some have pickleball courts beside tennis courts (which IMO on bad and Some have the pickleball courts behind the base line with no wind screens, which is odd design, could at least put 6 foot windscreen up on the 9 foot fence separating the courts IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
tennis, courts, players, wandering, court

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.