Wet courts

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts
Default Wet courts

Those who are concerned about slippage on early morning damp courts or during mist I just were my clay court tennis shoes 👠. The aggressive tread design sticks good to wet courts. The ASICS I have don’t slip a bit even when I push off on the damp lines. ( it will wear them out quicker than playing on clay)(I have several pairs so that’s not problem for me)

See few wearing walking/running shoes also which are not made of courts. The wear out quickly and shape side edges can cause ankle to roll over. Should wear shoe designed for tennis/pickleball courts. Also, Gym floor shoes đź‘ž (like basketball/badminton shoes) have softer sole compound which ruff texture of tennis/ pickleball hard courts will wear out quickly. Just some information for new players just starting out.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

I never play when courts are damp/misty .. It's an accident waiting to happen.. I've been playing pickleball in TV over 17yrs and have yet to find a shoe that doesn't slip when running back on a lob shot or when I step on the painted lines... I think it also depends on the type of player you are .. I do know some players who could probably play in those conditions because they never leave the baseline and have very little movement...
Old 12-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Old 12-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

I find that people have different threshold of what they find too slippery. In tennis, we tend to fold the match when anyone on the court determines conditions are too dangerous for them.

In pickle ball it’s a bit different in that if you find the conditions too wet for your own safety you can pretty much just leave, and others will move up in line or onto the court. Those, like the OP that has no trouble with wet conditions can play as long as they find others to play with.

Usually there is someone still playing on the pickle ball courts when we give up tennis due to weather. But when we see the pickle ball folks fleeing we know we should probably consider packing up.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

OP, I know your post was made with regards to the safety of people playing on slick, wet courts ; I would like to think with the age of people here in The Villages, most would have enough common sense to not play when the courts are damp and the danger of slipping/falling is greater.

Am I missing something here, or do most people just not have any common sense?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
OP, I know your post was made with regards to the safety of people playing on slick, wet courts ; I would like to think with the age of people here in The Villages, most would have enough common sense to not play when the courts are damp and the danger of slipping/falling is greater.

About as much common sense as people who won't come in out of the rainstorm from the golf course.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
About as much common sense as people who won't come in out of the rainstorm from the golf course.
People have a much less tendency to damage themselves with a slip and fall on the golf course than on a slick court.

I'm not a fair weather golfer; I've played in rain (that's why I have a DryJoys rain suit), sleet, high wind, frozen ground; the only time I won't play is when there's lightning, there's where common sense takes over.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
People have a much less tendency to damage themselves with a slip and fall on the golf course than on a slick court.

I'm not a fair weather golfer; I've played in rain (that's why I have a DryJoys rain suit), sleet, high wind, frozen ground; the only time I won't play is when there's lightning, there's where common sense takes over.
I really meant thunderstorms. where I come from, avid golfers don't come in from a storm.

I think every sport has its die-hards.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I never play when courts are damp/misty .. It's an accident waiting to happen.. I've been playing pickleball in TV over 17yrs and have yet to find a shoe that doesn't slip when running back on a lob shot or when I step on the painted lines... I think it also depends on the type of player you are .. I do know some players who could probably play in those conditions because they never leave the baseline and have very little movement...
Most are not athletic enough to run back for lobs. What more dangerous players NOT playing with court shoes. I guess you missed that point.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:

Yes, beings you don’t play, court are damp on shady sides early morning from the dew. The type of shoe you wear makes big different. Especially if you don’t were courts shoes. I could see why golfers don’t get this cause They can were any shoe playing golf.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I find that people have different threshold of what they find too slippery. In tennis, we tend to fold the match when anyone on the court determines conditions are too dangerous for them.

In pickle ball it’s a bit different in that if you find the conditions too wet for your own safety you can pretty much just leave, and others will move up in line or onto the court. Those, like the OP that has no trouble with wet conditions can play as long as they find others to play with.

Usually there is someone still playing on the pickle ball courts when we give up tennis due to weather. But when we see the pickle ball folks fleeing we know we should probably consider packing up.
Was more about the type of shoe to were than playing on wet court, I play lot of tennis and on hard tennis courts it’s lot more dangerous due to speed it takes to get out wide and stop to get back. Pickleball courts this time of year are usually damp on windward sides till the humidity goes down and sun comes up.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most are not athletic enough to run back for lobs. What more dangerous players NOT playing with court shoes. I guess you missed that point.
Maybe where you play, but certainly not true as a general statement.

Wet courts should not be payed on. I will never say anything else. I will never feel the guilt of suggesting that it is safe, only to talk someone into an injury.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Maybe where you play, but certainly not true as a general statement.

Wet courts should not be payed on. I will never say anything else. I will never feel the guilt of suggesting that it is safe, only to talk someone into an injury.
Duh, the word “most” .
Old 12-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes, beings you don’t play, court are damp on shady sides early morning from the dew. The type of shoe you wear makes big different. Especially if you don’t were courts shoes. I could see why golfers don’t get this cause They can were any shoe playing golf.
I don't were any shoe, I only wear FJ spikeless shoes and really don't have any issues with slipping on damp or wet ground.

I wish more of the older golfers would just wear some type of athletic shoe without spikes so they wouldn't damage the greens when they shuffle their feet across them (and no, them wearing spikeless shoes wouldn't help the matter).
Old 01-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't were any shoe, I only wear FJ spikeless shoes and really don't have any issues with slipping on damp or wet ground.

I wish more of the older golfers would just wear some type of athletic shoe without spikes so they wouldn't damage the greens when they shuffle their feet across them (and no, them wearing spikeless shoes wouldn't help the matter).
That’s because you play at high level know enough to we’re the proper shoe. Running up and back on textured court important to wear the shoe’s designed for that sport. I knew you would respond with the right answer.
Closed Thread

Tags
courts, shoes, wear, wet, quickly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.