What will pickleball look like?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2020, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default What will pickleball look like?

Are we going to wear gloves, face masks, more body covering materials, bring our own drinks and be required to sign up to play? And, then there are the considerations of the winter busy times and the heat during the summer. While some changes are easy and will take place, other changes will be very difficult for most players to implement. And then there is the challenge for those playing when a person shows up with un-accepted gear.

I suppose at some time rubber/Nitrate/latex gloves will become available to wear while playing the game. If disposable, I would hope they can last through one days’ worth of play. Some have already been wearing gloves but it’s unlikely they are the kind that offers much protection from a medical protection standpoint. I have not been wearing gloves for the past several years.

As they say a lot of the transmission is airborne, masks might be a requirement. However, many and I included have a hard enough time breathing without using a mask which would not help this issue. And, in some conditions the masks can lead to fogging up of glasses/eye protection which makes play that much more difficult.

Unfortunately, the common on court water dispenser may be history. Some already bring their own containers which are hit and spilled. I hope players will do a better job in the selections of containers and the label on it so other don’t drink out of the wrong one. And some area or storage for the drink containers should be considered. Are we still going to need benches to sit on that take up a lot of space if we need six feet of separation?

Are we going to wear more body clothing that covers more to lessen the risk of another’s body sweat droplets from contacting our unprotected skin? In the wintertime this extra covering might be feasible to stay warmer and in the summer for sun ray protection. Yet, the weight and breathing abilities of current designs don’t seem to be used by many in my observations of past players using them. The lighter and less restricted I am the better I seem to play.

How would they handle signups to play on a court and who would do this as long lines will probably be frowned upon. I have taken advantage of the Play & Drill at Rohan for the past couple of years where one does need to sign up for the next week’s session. However, that’s one day of the week for two hours at one location. And, it’s being done by a volunteer, Steve. During the summer, the courts are less full. For the winter months, scheduling would be a night mare. Who’s going to pay for and do this scheduling? On the other hand, it would be nice to have an app where one could locate a slot to fill to be able to play for a couple of hours.

I am sure things will work out in the end. Some changes will be welcome and be helpful while others will not be looked upon as being fun things to do. What are your thoughts as mine way be well off-base or in the kitchen.

Please note that I stopped playing pickleball three weeks before the Villages stopped it and am anxious to resume playing this wonderful game. It helps keep me in shape and I enjoy the comradery.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 04-21-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Regardless what it will look like....once a set of rules is put forth then the key is enforcement.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

no excuses for I don't have or I forgot, or what ever....be ready and correct or NO PLAY.

This is the real challenge and key to success.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

If we have to maintain 6 feet of separation from our partner, won't that change the game pretty drastically? Is it even possible to do? I guess that's the end of poaching!

Same with water volleyball. Separation ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Gold member

Bring your own water (non provided), towel(s), and for awhile a chair to sit on for distancing. Limit total waiting players to no more than 2 for each court / Example: If you have 6 courts the 6x2=12 waiting with social distancing. Summer coming so big lines are gone for awhile. Bring your own sanitizer and wear gloves/mask if you prefer. No more fist, elbow, and paddle taps for awhile. If the courts re-open they may not provide balls for potential liability, so get ready to bring/buy some. Until there is a vaccine precautions need be in place and everyone determines their own risk tolerance. Most play, even morning open play, are with people that know each other so whatever rules are in place group enforce intelligently.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
If we have to maintain 6 feet of separation from our partner, won't that change the game pretty drastically? Is it even possible to do? I guess that's the end of poaching!

Same with water volleyball. Separation ain't gonna happen.

Play singles, more and better exercise anyway
Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Play singles, more and better exercise anyway
I assume there will be those that will adapt to new rules.....my question is what do you do when those that think all this is a hoax or have no regard for others (you know, the ones that can't read arrows or observe social distancing) or worse, bump up against you during the game. Will you ask them to leave or will you walk away and allow them to dictate your play?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

My opinion is that we will go back to what was working before they closed the courts: no common water, limited people on the courts, wash the ball. Personally I will play with anyone during open play. 3 or 4 months from now....business as usual.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 04-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Pickleball will look like it always has, a game for people who can't play tennis.

Just kidding, I am happy for people to get some exercise, especially if it keeps them off the golf course.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Pickleball will look like it always has, a game for people who can't play tennis.

Just kidding, I am happy for people to get some exercise, especially if it keeps them off the golf course.
Or game full of tennis players who can’t play tennis anymore It was a joke
Old 04-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I assume there will be those that will adapt to new rules.....my question is what do you do when those that think all this is a hoax or have no regard for others (you know, the ones that can't read arrows or observe social distancing) or worse, bump up against you during the game. Will you ask them to leave or will you walk away and allow them to dictate your play?
I was stand off-ish before! What do you think I will be like when we go back? Worse!!! Most will get it. But, there alway couple who have no clue. I will probably keep my distance if that mean take break or move.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
my question is what do you do when those that think all this is a hoax or have no regard for others (you know, the ones that can't read arrows or observe social distancing) or worse, bump up against you during the game. Will you ask them to leave or will you walk away and allow them to dictate your play?
So if someone bumps against you in the normal course of playing the game, a common occurrence, the only two choices are asking them to leave or "allowing them to dictate your play?" I don't understand. As someone who's looking forward to resuming play, I am curious about how these things will play out.

What WILL happen when someone inevitably bumps into someone else, besides these two options? Or do we set the game up to make that impossible? Same thing with water volleyball and all other events where close contact is the norm.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Are we going to wear gloves, face masks, more body covering materials, bring our own drinks and be required to sign up to play? And, then there are the considerations of the winter busy times and the heat during the summer. While some changes are easy and will take place, other changes will be very difficult for most players to implement. And then there is the challenge for those playing when a person shows up with un-accepted gear.

I suppose at some time rubber/Nitrate/latex gloves will become available to wear while playing the game. If disposable, I would hope they can last through one days’ worth of play. Some have already been wearing gloves but it’s unlikely they are the kind that offers much protection from a medical protection standpoint. I have not been wearing gloves for the past several years.

As they say a lot of the transmission is airborne, masks might be a requirement. However, many and I included have a hard enough time breathing without using a mask which would not help this issue. And, in some conditions the masks can lead to fogging up of glasses/eye protection which makes play that much more difficult.

Unfortunately, the common on court water dispenser may be history. Some already bring their own containers which are hit and spilled. I hope players will do a better job in the selections of containers and the label on it so other don’t drink out of the wrong one. And some area or storage for the drink containers should be considered. Are we still going to need benches to sit on that take up a lot of space if we need six feet of separation?

Are we going to wear more body clothing that covers more to lessen the risk of another’s body sweat droplets from contacting our unprotected skin? In the wintertime this extra covering might be feasible to stay warmer and in the summer for sun ray protection. Yet, the weight and breathing abilities of current designs don’t seem to be used by many in my observations of past players using them. The lighter and less restricted I am the better I seem to play.

How would they handle signups to play on a court and who would do this as long lines will probably be frowned upon. I have taken advantage of the Play & Drill at Rohan for the past couple of years where one does need to sign up for the next week’s session. However, that’s one day of the week for two hours at one location. And, it’s being done by a volunteer, Steve. During the summer, the courts are less full. For the winter months, scheduling would be a night mare. Who’s going to pay for and do this scheduling? On the other hand, it would be nice to have an app where one could locate a slot to fill to be able to play for a couple of hours.

I am sure things will work out in the end. Some changes will be welcome and be helpful while others will not be looked upon as being fun things to do. What are your thoughts as mine way be well off-base or in the kitchen.

Please note that I stopped playing pickleball three weeks before the Villages stopped it and am anxious to resume playing this wonderful game. It helps keep me in shape and I enjoy the comradery.
Rumor has it that the morning regulars at the " Lake Miona " pickleball crowd will welcome with open arms to everyone from 8:00 to 10:00 AM . Open Play ! Everyday

Yes, yes they had a vote and it was almost unanimous, typically always one or two hold outs but they in the end reluctantly agreed. Secret Ballot names not disclosed.

Plus they have Volunteered to lend their " Expertise " to all who ask. What a turnaround from the past.

So if anything the Corona Virus 19 has had a positive impact with regards to Pickleball at " Lake Miona " …. Finally a wake up call.

I'm excited I always wanted to play at Lake Miona, finally I get my chance.

Thank You so much.

PS: Whoever came up with this idea needs to be commended . WOW !
Old 04-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Rumor has it that the morning regulars at the " Lake Miona " pickleball crowd will welcome with open arms to everyone from 8:00 to 10:00 AM . Open Play ! Everyday

Yes, yes they had a vote and it was almost unanimous, typically always one or two hold outs but they in the end reluctantly agreed. Secret Ballot names not disclosed.

Plus they have Volunteered to lend their " Expertise " to all who ask. What a turnaround from the past.

So if anything the Corona Virus 19 has had a positive impact with regards to Pickleball at " Lake Miona " …. Finally a wake up call.

I'm excited I always wanted to play at Lake Miona, finally I get my chance.

Thank You so much.

PS: Whoever came up with this idea needs to be commended . WOW !
This Rumor sounds like FAKE NEWS
Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
My opinion is that we will go back to what was working before they closed the courts: no common water, limited people on the courts, wash the ball. Personally I will play with anyone during open play. 3 or 4 months from now....business as usual.
As was promised a while ago, everyone that wants a test can get a test. That being the case, I see us testing all players every week and those that are negative get to play. Anybody have a problem with that?
Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Not to change the direction of this thread, but I have a pickleball question. I have bad knees and don't want to do anything to aggravate the arthritis in them. But on the other hand, I would love to take up pickleball. In my younger days I wasn't a bad tennis player, and today, I am still a very good ping pong player. So hand eye coordination is not an issue, but bad knees most definitely are. I would love to try pickleball, but I don't want to have to go home and ice my knees and not be able to golf the next day. So, if I want to play very low impact pickleball what are my options? I don't want to be competitive, because that is in my nature and I will most definitely aggravate the knees. Is there a pickleball league that tries to see how many times the ball can be played without a fault, rather than trying to beat ones opponent. The competitiveness would be in setting a record for the most consecutive vollies, not beating ones opponent. Inquiring minds want to know??
Closed Thread

Tags
play, playing, gloves, protection, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.