What will pickleball look like?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2020, 05:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Are we going to wear gloves, face masks, more body covering materials, bring our own drinks and be required to sign up to play? And, then there are the considerations of the winter busy times and the heat during the summer. While some changes are easy and will take place, other changes will be very difficult for most players to implement. And then there is the challenge for those playing when a person shows up with un-accepted gear.

I suppose at some time rubber/Nitrate/latex gloves will become available to wear while playing the game. If disposable, I would hope they can last through one days’ worth of play. Some have already been wearing gloves but it’s unlikely they are the kind that offers much protection from a medical protection standpoint. I have not been wearing gloves for the past several years.

As they say a lot of the transmission is airborne, masks might be a requirement. However, many and I included have a hard enough time breathing without using a mask which would not help this issue. And, in some conditions the masks can lead to fogging up of glasses/eye protection which makes play that much more difficult.

Unfortunately, the common on court water dispenser may be history. Some already bring their own containers which are hit and spilled. I hope players will do a better job in the selections of containers and the label on it so other don’t drink out of the wrong one. And some area or storage for the drink containers should be considered. Are we still going to need benches to sit on that take up a lot of space if we need six feet of separation?

Are we going to wear more body clothing that covers more to lessen the risk of another’s body sweat droplets from contacting our unprotected skin? In the wintertime this extra covering might be feasible to stay warmer and in the summer for sun ray protection. Yet, the weight and breathing abilities of current designs don’t seem to be used by many in my observations of past players using them. The lighter and less restricted I am the better I seem to play.

How would they handle signups to play on a court and who would do this as long lines will probably be frowned upon. I have taken advantage of the Play & Drill at Rohan for the past couple of years where one does need to sign up for the next week’s session. However, that’s one day of the week for two hours at one location. And, it’s being done by a volunteer, Steve. During the summer, the courts are less full. For the winter months, scheduling would be a night mare. Who’s going to pay for and do this scheduling? On the other hand, it would be nice to have an app where one could locate a slot to fill to be able to play for a couple of hours.

I am sure things will work out in the end. Some changes will be welcome and be helpful while others will not be looked upon as being fun things to do. What are your thoughts as mine way be well off-base or in the kitchen.

Please note that I stopped playing pickleball three weeks before the Villages stopped it and am anxious to resume playing this wonderful game. It helps keep me in shape and I enjoy the comradery.
Good comments. Without question, many things are going to be different for the next two or three years. (Don’t expect it all to end in May.) Those of us without immunity and who would like to live a while longer will need to pay attention to what we do. Alas. Situations change. We adapt as best we can.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:11 AM
Default A FIRST WORLD problem

Many of our fellow man who struggle with this pandemic have no money to buy nitrile gloves.
They have no source of fresh water that flows freely from a spigot.
They have no air conditioned home to return to, with a refrigerator loaded with their favorite foods.
No sanitary bathroom stocked with 12 extra rolls of toilet paper.
We are blessed with who we are, where we are, and what we have.
Pickleball protocol will all be re-established by the Recreation Department.
Do not trouble your heart over that.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:15 AM

COVID-19 cannot be contract by touching sweat, Unless it is from gunk around your nose or mouth.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:30 AM

True. 1. Covid-19 is NOT transmitted via sweat droplets. 2. It IS transmitted via aerosolized droplets and secretions from the nose, mouth and lungs spread through sneezing, coughing and touching the same areas including the eyes. 3. Gloves offer little protection. Again touching the nose, mouth and eyes transmits the virus to the gloves. The virus can survive on most materials from which gloves are made for hours or even days rendering them no better or even worse than bare hands.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:05 AM

Anybody think this is beginning to sound like Eastern Europe in the 50's? I know, it's for our own good. Anyone who disagrees doesn't care about anyone else's health. You have a responsibility to care for others. The preceding 3 sentences are straight out of the Soviet handbook. I already see people anxious to snitch on their neighbors. All for the common good. Keep telling yourself that.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not to change the direction of this thread, but I have a pickleball question. I have bad knees and don't want to do anything to aggravate the arthritis in them. But on the other hand, I would love to take up pickleball. In my younger days I wasn't a bad tennis player, and today, I am still a very good ping pong player. So hand eye coordination is not an issue, but bad knees most definitely are. I would love to try pickleball, but I don't want to have to go home and ice my knees and not be able to golf the next day. So, if I want to play very low impact pickleball what are my options? I don't want to be competitive, because that is in my nature and I will most definitely aggravate the knees. Is there a pickleball league that tries to see how many times the ball can be played without a fault, rather than trying to beat ones opponent. The competitiveness would be in setting a record for the most consecutive vollies, not beating ones opponent. Inquiring minds want to know??
All I can recommend is finding an empty court in the afternoon (make sure no one is waiting), and get a rally buddy. You can work on skinny singles shots where you only hit into one side of the court.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:36 AM

You are clearly anticipating problems. First you might want to reboot on the airborne transmission .... that's not how it spreads. You have to be in a closed environment for 25+ minutes with someone sneezing or coughing for the percentages to indicate worry is reasonable.

Virus to Hands to Face ... that's the transmission. Put soapy water buckets on the pickle ball courts and wash hands between games for a start. Wash the balls between games. Then have fun in the outdoors.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

How about this: If you are so scared of catching something/anything, then why not stay home? I have not seen restrictions when there is a flu outbreak and I see no reason to worry once this stay at home is lifted. Eventually, there will be medications to cure the virus and then further down the line there will be a vaccine for it. Like I said, if you are in fear then take the suggestion of staying home and playing it safe. No one is forcing anyone to play a game.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Are you a senior? Is pickleball worth a 20% risk of dying if you become infected and have to be placed on a ventilator?

And if you have a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, a breathing disorder? Your chances of survival drops to 8%.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

let's not get all wrapped around our undies by over thinking this folks … life is gonna move on

it'll be different...but we'll eventually all adapt
Old 04-22-2020, 06:57 AM

Almost by definition you maintain 6 ft from your partner and the opposite team. I agree with gloves may start to be common on the left hand (for right handed player) which holds the ball to serve. I started using a rubber garden glove that I could wash after the game and took clorex wipes to wipe off equipment. I think the CDC rules say groups of 10 unless you can maintain social distancing. Since the courts are more than 6 ft apart I don't think that is an issue. It's the people on the side waiting to play that will have stay apart. May have to think about having a line on each side of the courts to keep people apart. Just hope they get the courts open soon.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:25 AM

lots of people with knee issues wear braces of different support levels. Some just a squeezing sleeve, some a brace with metal hinges on the sides to prevent lunging right and left. so it's very possible to play this very fun game even with crappy knees.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Are you a senior? Is pickleball worth a 20% risk of dying if you become infected and have to be placed on a ventilator?

And if you have a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, a breathing disorder? Your chances of survival drops to 8%.
This is fact: 8 out of 10 individuals who contact Covid 19 have a mild reaction. A very tiny % end up on a ventilator.

Where did you get the 20% face the risk of dying, curious.

What is now pretty obvious is a very large percentage of residents here take Pickleball way to seriously.

It is a good pastime and a has a side benefit of exercise etc. but honestly bringing a bucket of Water/Mr Clean to disinfect the balls is nuts. This was actually done before the courts were closed.

The #1 crazy incident happened at Rohan where individuals cut the plastic zip at one of the courts and were caught.

Warned that they next time the police will be called and they would be arrested for trespass.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Pickleball?

I’ve heard from a third cousin to Elvis that the PB courts are going to be converted into hitting nets for golfers. 😉😉
Old 04-22-2020, 07:54 AM

The Villages Florida

How bout a hat with a face shield, since the virus is only ransferred through nose and mouth. Don’t touch your face!
Closed Thread

Tags
play, playing, gloves, protection, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.