What will pickleball look like?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Default Moving on in Pickelball

Your way over thinking the return of the game. Water on court probably gone. Social distancing will be done to play.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:25 AM

So we haven’t played PB with anyone since the 3rd week in March. Gloves don’t matter. The key is DON’T touch your face. Wear a wrist band to wipe sweat instead of your hand. Unfortunately if you don’t partner with someone in your home, like my wife and I do, it will increase chances of transmission. Bumping fists will be a thing of the past. Bring your own water. Problems can be how many people standing in line. Lines go to the gate now without social distancing. Will they go out the gate into the parking lot? I think if you do not want to play with large groups court reservations with smaller social groups might be the way to go. It will be a challenge.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid;

I suppose at some time rubber/Nitrate/latex gloves will become available to wear while playing the game. If disposable, I would hope they can last through one days’ worth of play. Some have already been wearing gloves but it’s unlikely they are the kind that offers much protection from a medical protection standpoint. I have not been wearing gloves for the past several years.
I don’t believe that the recreation department should provide gloves...... they don’t provide a golf glove or balls or clubs for me to play golf .......

You can wear a golf glove on each hand to play pickle ball...... as with latex gloves , don’t touch your face or pick your nose while on the court !!

Disinfect the gloves once home and thoroughly wash your hands ......
Old 04-22-2020, 08:29 AM

Pickleball is what finally got me two new knees! Actually best thing that happened...went to Dr Nguyen in Orlando and had both knees done 3 months apart and was back playing full out in 6 months. Not sure how bad your knees are but Pickleball is tough on your knees!
Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Pickleball?

I’ve heard from a third cousin to Elvis that the PB courts are going to be converted into hitting nets for golfers. 😉😉
Did the person happen to mention which courts will be converted, I hope they will atleast keep some open. This is really bad news.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Are we going to wear gloves, face masks, more body covering materials, bring our own drinks and be required to sign up to play?
I've heard that careful people wear deep-diving suits. The heavy screw-on head covering REALLY protects against your germs getting out or their germs getting in. No need to thrown any part of it away after a year's use.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not to change the direction of this thread, but I have a pickleball question. I have bad knees and don't want to do anything to aggravate the arthritis in them. But on the other hand, I would love to take up pickleball. In my younger days I wasn't a bad tennis player, and today, I am still a very good ping pong player. So hand eye coordination is not an issue, but bad knees most definitely are. I would love to try pickleball, but I don't want to have to go home and ice my knees and not be able to golf the next day. So, if I want to play very low impact pickleball what are my options? I don't want to be competitive, because that is in my nature and I will most definitely aggravate the knees. Is there a pickleball league that tries to see how many times the ball can be played without a fault, rather than trying to beat ones opponent. The competitiveness would be in setting a record for the most consecutive vollies, not beating ones opponent. Inquiring minds want to know??
As long as you careful and don’t try to change direction off balance you should be able to play doubles. Pickleball is 1/3 size of tennis courts, two bounce rule, and under hand serve, and of course the ball travels at least half the speed of tennis ball. Just don’t get too competitive and try to reach shots you knowing you’re knees can’t cash the check.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Pickleball?

I’ve heard from a third cousin to Elvis that the PB courts are going to be converted into hitting nets for golfers. 😉😉
I heard different rumor from inside source at lunch the other day that all championships course are going to be turned into apartment houses with horseshoe and corn hole courts
Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbraham View Post
Pickleball is what finally got me two new knees! Actually best thing that happened...went to Dr Nguyen in Orlando and had both knees done 3 months apart and was back playing full out in 6 months. Not sure how bad your knees are but Pickleball is tough on your knees!
Depends on weight, how off balance you get, and competitiveness. In most cases the knee is injuries beyond sport activities. So yes, it not going to last.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
I don’t believe that the recreation department should provide gloves...... they don’t provide a golf glove or balls or clubs for me to play golf .......

You can wear a golf glove on each hand to play pickle ball...... as with latex gloves , don’t touch your face or pick your nose while on the court !!

Disinfect the gloves once home and thoroughly wash your hands ......
I didn't mean to imply that gloves should be provided! It's my understanding although I haven't been out to look that appropriate gloves may not at this time be in stock to be purchase by me and other players. When the time comes to play, I will look for the items I may need to use to play this game such as a better water container that I have never needed.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
So we haven’t played PB with anyone since the 3rd week in March. Gloves don’t matter. The key is DON’T touch your face. Wear a wrist band to wipe sweat instead of your hand. Unfortunately if you don’t partner with someone in your home, like my wife and I do, it will increase chances of transmission. Bumping fists will be a thing of the past. Bring your own water. Problems can be how many people standing in line. Lines go to the gate now without social distancing. Will they go out the gate into the parking lot? I think if you do not want to play with large groups court reservations with smaller social groups might be the way to go. It will be a challenge.
I agree

But, I don’t think no one knows if the virus has been transmitted from a ball to mouth and nose? Old saying “ when in “ doubt do without” on side of safety. If that could happen golf would be higher risk cause you don’t know what it contacts running through grass.

I find that pretty slim being the ball being hit and spinning and I don’t see anybody licking the ball or sticking fingers Their mouths. Yes, there change, just like walking by someone or passing people in store.

If and when nets are put back up, IMO not going to be anytime soon. Social leagues and group reservation will mostly like not happen for months.

I am more concerned about people across the net. They are facing me, if they cough or sneeze the droplet cloud coming directly at me. My partner to side most time and his fluids are going mostly straight forward.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Singles will work indeed.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Softball should be even harder TO START UP.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree

But, I don’t think no one knows if the virus has been transmitted from a ball to mouth and nose? Old saying “ when in “ doubt do without” on side of safety. If that could happen golf would be higher risk cause you don’t know what it contacts running through grass.

I find that pretty slim being the ball being hit and spinning and I don’t see anybody licking the ball or sticking fingers Their mouths. Yes, there change, just like walking by someone or passing people in store.

If and when nets are put back up, IMO not going to be anytime soon. Social leagues and group reservation will mostly like not happen for months.

I am more concerned about people across the net. They are facing me, if they cough or sneeze the droplet cloud coming directly at me. My partner to side most time and his fluids are going mostly straight forward.
Not my Old Saying " When in Doubt Do Without "

Mine is " When in Doubt …. Call it OUT !! especially when behind . No Brainer .

Win is the name of the game.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

The kitchen, on each side, is 7 feet. If you and your opponent are outside the kitchen you are at least 14 feet away.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, playing, gloves, protection, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.