Asian Toilets

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 AM
Gold member
Default Asian Toilets

Asian toilets and trash.........

Note: No flush handle on any of them.
This is how you flush...dip from the pail, pour into the receptacle you have been squatting over. For best results, try to pour between leg spasms and cramping thighs.

The Villages Florida

Uh, uh, uh...don't put tissue in the toilet, use the waste basket please. Ewwwww!

The Villages Florida

This one your feet grip the sides of the "hole" instead of straddling the fixture. Just looking at it makes my legs hurt.

The Villages Florida

I longed for a sit down version and then ...and then ...I found one

Oh yea!?!??

The Villages Florida

Still no flushy of the paper...and I ranked this one a Double Eeeewwww!

Finally, I thought this trash can was clever...note the ooze dripping from its upper teeth.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson
Default Re: Asian Toilets

For the life of me I can't remember where I was, but it was somewhere here in the States and a bathroom had a couple of those squatter toilets. I attempted to use one just out of curiousity but after a couple attempts of trying to position myself I said FORGET IT and found a sit down toilet instead!

Btw Susan...did you ever master using one of those? ;D
Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Gold member

Heck no! I practised bladder control. Think about the logistics of wearing slacks and using one of those. Even if you could do it your clothes would be touching something filthy.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I said NO WAY!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 AM
Dancing Thyme

That's one reason I've never been to Asia! Heard about these years ago and thought - NO WAY!! I'll stay home...

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Gold member

Hi Susan,

I have used all of the toilets you have pictured plus some you did not picture. Perhaps we shared adjoining booths and did not even know it. ;D

I think it was in Beijing, at the Palace, they have a plaque outside one of the bathrooms stating it is a four or a five star bathroom.

It was quite impressive, it was clean, modern, sit downs only for the women, do not know about the men. If my memory serves me correctly it had a resting room with comfortable chairs and a TV.

Did you go to this one while you were in China?

What I found quite amazing in the out lying provinces that some of the bathrooms had no odor at all.

HB

Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

HB, don't be amazed by the no odor, just understand why. Guess where that stuff goes to keep it so clean and odor free? Did you eat the rice or other vegetables? ;D

The other thing that amazed me was not just the hole in the floor, but never any toilet paper. It got so that when I left the hotel every AM, I would take a wad of there paper just in case.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Kathie the inconvenience of the toilets is far, far, outweighed by the wonder and mystery of Asia.

If you can imagine a gender slant on everything, then Japan, China are masculine in their order and precision...move west and as you do things soften and flow ending in India the ultimate of femininity. It is strange but the attitude really does change like that. Another influence is north to south. It is an awesome part of the world!!!

Yes HB I did go to that one and what a relief it was. You know what I don't remember doors on the stalls in the ones I posted pictures of...do you remember doors?

No odor and clean in areas of tourism. How? Manpower tons of it. Get farther out and/or into the warmer countries and the cleanliness decreases.

l2ridehd, you are right about the TP it was in 2002 a rare find. I came prepared with a big 12 roll package of TP. I figured it was a space holder for all the stuff I would buy and as we used it, it did make room for the "stuff" in the luggage. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the TP fast enough to keep up with the "stuff" we/I bought. Hmmm I think I like shopping on vacation. We began shipping things home another story in itself.

I would not bring TP with me anymore, but I do think it prudent to buy a Costco type packaging of pocket sized Kleenix. Very convenient to grab one of those and slip it into you pocket.

In all fairness this is also a Chinese public bathroom. It just depends on where you go.

The Villages Florida

Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gotta admit I thought they were pretty cool as a kid -- a toilet I could use that my mom couldn't. (Okay, I was a kid with a wicked sense of humor.) They always smelled better than any Kentucky outhouse I've ever had the joy (?) of using.

One other reason for the lack of odor is Asians eat little beef. Most Asians think Americans in general stink -- beef body odor is definitely offensive to vegetarians and to those who eat little to no beef.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Those are the nicer one The foot print Hooper's I also seen them in France
but the ones in Asia in your photo there is no usual Chicken or Ducks running around with the green slime or slip hazard and yes Beef is not big on their menu but Carp etc is big on the menu along with its own aroma
One of the big things Americans miss after being in Asia awhile is flush toilets and Milk
Da Sgt :
Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Personally, I think the grossest "toilets" are in the Middle East. There is a reason why the right hand is chopped off if caught stealing -- you can no longer eat from the communal pot since the left hand is unclean (and I do mean seriously unclean).

I do remember being fascinated in central Africa. There were no facilities per se. You found a low-growing plant and squatted. The leaves were the toilet paper. Of course, being a kid, I thought this was pretty cool. Mom used to carry a chamber pot (of sorts) in her purse (boy, was that a huge purse!).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Back in my other life, I use to travel to Italy and ran into hole/footprint toilets several times. A couple of times were in pretty good restruants. The first time my wife experienced one, we were on a bus tour, it was running late so we made an unscheduled stop in a small village. A small store was the only thing available but they assured our tour director that we were all welcome to share their single facility. Several women ahead of us looked in and walked out talking to themselves. Some thing about "No Way". ??? When we got to the head, my wife looked in, grabbed my hand and said that she needed support. After all, they did say we could share. She held my arm for support and did what was necessary. Everyone in line behind us ended up doing the same too some. What every works. . After that experience, my wife started collecting photo's of various bathroom facilities in our travels. Sorry, but they are now buried with other pictures and hard to access.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Gold member

Aaahhh yes another toilet collector...

I've never been there, but my sister who has been to Mongolia several times. She has horrific stories of the runs and no where to go but a trough down the side of the street, where... when the need occured people just stopped, dropped and then went on with their business. Mind you this was in town not a remote country road.

We are so pampered in this country.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM

My best friend's son and family (4 kids) became missionaries and moved to China 3 years ago.
One of their hardest adjustments was having just one bathroom with that 'squatty potty'.

We really are spoiled here in the USA! (Thank goodness!)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Gold member

Bathrooms Al Fresco

Yes, you read correctly. When we were travelling in Costa Rica on a bus tour there were times when the ladies went to one side of the road and the gents to the other side.

We all laughed about our experiences. I think we decided we were all "true locals" after that experience.

I guess this was our breaking in for a trip to Mongolia.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.