Asian Toilets

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Default Re: Asian Toilets

HB,
When we were in Costa Rica, we did find bathrooms to use.
But they usually didn't have electricity, so you couldn't see much.
Maybe that was for the good!!! :yikes:
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Gold member

Mint, we also had more conventional toilets.

Perhaps we all should get together and write about our "Toileting Experiences Around the World?" ;D

HB
Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM

I found Honduras to be my worst bathroom experience... ::
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Gold member

We visited China in 1980 in the area near the Macau border. The toilets there were tiled floors with a hole in the floor. On each side of the hole were foot outlines to place your feet. The only thing I can say at that time is I was young, agile and the bathrooms were spotless. The had a pull chain to flush them. In Hong Kong the toilets were more modern and cleaner than most in the US. They always had an attendant in the bathroom so they were spotless.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM

I hang around with a bunch of New Yorker's, They are a riot.
Anyway last year one of them got married to a 5th generation Colorado guy. They decided to have the wedding up on the Colorado/wyoming border where the family had a cabin on a homesteaded property. The property has been in the family for over 100 years.
The funny part is the cabin must have been that old too. The whole thing leaned to the left and the floor was so uneven that it made me motion sick to walk through it. There were about 100 people there including a good number of New Yorker's there alot of them let's just say in their senior years. So anyway the only facilities available was one out house, a one holer, at least as old as the cabin.
I got such a kick out of seeing peoples expressions when told that that was their bathroom choice. Many of the New Yorkers had never even seen an outhouse before, I'm sure, but we were 30 miles at least to any modern facilities so they had no choice. But you should have heard the conversations the little old ladies from New York had about them. It was hilarious. Benj

Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket

Perhaps we all should get together and write about our "Toileting Experiences Around the World?" ;D

HB
We are HB, this thread has become a bathroom venting area for the travelers of the world. ;D

Somewhere I was amazed at was England and Wales. Some of the places we stayed required the sharing of the bathroom with everyone else on your floor or if a B&B maybe even both floors.

I know in recent years Europe has upgraded to accomodate American tourist standards, but it was pretty 1800's in the 1900's.

Benj, Would love to have been a fly on the wall (not of the outhouse!!!) to listen to the comments. I love NYC sense of humor.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Bathrooms Al Fresco

Yes, you read correctly. When we were travelling in Costa Rica on a bus tour there were times when the ladies went to one side of the road and the gents to the other side.

We all laughed about our experiences. I think we decided we were all "true locals" after that experience.

I guess this was our breaking in for a trip to Mongolia.

HB

Mongolia - sounds like home to me. Inside toilet is premo in my book. ;D
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Any of the New Yorker say. . . Yo I got your Outhouse

once a pond a time "we" had a outhouse with a old drum that would be burt every morning but some new guy put Gas in it some OLD GUY was smoking when the junt when up ???

ho know look out :dontknow: :redface: ;D

Da Sgt
Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Gold member

Susan when you were in England did you happen to use a four or five star award winning bathroom?

One of the places where we had afternoon tea had a framed certificate that there bathroom received this award.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not to sure my bathroom could pass that test. We do not have various colognes, perfumes, etc out for anyone to use. ???

HB
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Gold member

France - in one of the quaint villages we visited instead of what we would consider tp they had strips of newspaper hanging on the side of the toilet.

Fly in the Tank - yes - Not to sure if it was in England or another country in Europe but in the mens bathroom there was a picture of a fly in the bottom of the bowl - purpose - to improve your aim. I think that says it all about men. 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl

Of the men I was travelling with in this group only one person noticed the fly. I think that tells you why their aim may not be the best.

HB
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Gold member

Good one HB
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM

My sister-in-law grew up in a house with outdoor plumbing. Her father was a plumber!!!!!! And had a good job. There was a complete bathroom in the house, but it wasn't hooked up. They kept their shampoos, etc. in the clean, empty toilet.

My mother thought we were pulling her leg until she visited their home. It was like "Ma and Pa Kettle" if you remember them.

Wonderful people - but a little eccentric.
New Jersey
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.