Sand Hill Crane and Colt

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2021, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Saw a couple of these Sandhill Cranes digging for food on one of the greens a couple years ago. Lots of damage to the green. Chased them off and called the proshop. Like pitbulls, they are cute when they are young, but can do a lot of damage.
What they were doing was inserting their beaks into the green and removing the insect, grub, critter they were looking for.

You know as well as I do that lunching on the green is a very rare occurrence as they have the whole bloomin' golf course and all of the lawns to find their wormies.

They aren't like pitbulls. What they are, are Sandhill Cranes with beautiful long legs and gorgeous bright red heads and they mate for life. My husband and I are doing the "mate for life" and it is working for us. BUT... We didn't have the red heads and HE has the beautiful legs.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
Such majestic looking birds. I will take them any day over the Canadian geese, which are a complete pest in the Midwest.
Re: Canadian geese
In Canada they call them American geese.

I used to photograph weddings. More than once I tried to explain to a bride why they do not want to go to a particular park for pictures. I was never successful at talking them out of it. Hum, at the reception, turn to the left so we do not see the green stains on your white dress.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What they were doing was inserting their beaks into the green and removing the insect, grub, critter they were looking for.

You know as well as I do that lunching on the green is a very rare occurrence as they have the whole bloomin' golf course and all of the lawns to find their wormies.

They aren't like pitbulls. What they are, are Sandhill Cranes with beautiful long legs and gorgeous bright red heads and they mate for life. My husband and I are doing the "mate for life" and it is working for us. BUT... We didn't have the red heads and HE has the beautiful legs.

Just sayin'.
Actually, most bird species “mate for life,” in that they will raise their brood together year after year, but most of those, both male and female, seek out or accept sex with other birds. They “get some on the side.” (Perhaps it is in the DNA, or at least in the DNA of more than half of all humans and most birds and mammals.)

There is an interesting doctoral dissertation on sandhill cranes available at this government web site. https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/p...l%20Cranes.pdf

It seems that while they “mate for life,” a sizable percentage also get divorced! Sometimes that’s because they don’t get along, or because they don’t have breeding success, but sometimes it is because another bird butts in and one of the pair takes off with it. If this happens, they usually move to the nearest available space. (They tend to want almost a kilometer to a family.) I think about three fourths that show up with new mates are re-matings because one of the pair has died, and one fourth of the banded birds examined got divorced. It seems that they nearly always find another mate, preferably not far away. They don’t usually try to live alone in their own territory. “It is not good for birds to be alone.”

Here is a quote from chapter 2 of the dissertation.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FE49C793-BEA4-41C8-8C62-C3A1585B5EDB.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	89729  
Old 06-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Default Sand Hill Cranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Saw a couple of these Sandhill Cranes digging for food on one of the greens a couple years ago. Lots of damage to the green. Chased them off and called the proshop. Like pitbulls, they are cute when they are young, but can do a lot of damage.
They are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. They were here long before the golf course. As far as I'm concerned they can feed anywhere they want. The golf course can be repaired.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Default Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Sand Hill Crane with it's newly hatched Colt.
Thank you so much for this fantastic photo! We love the Sandhills and those colts are adorable!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Don’t tell anyone where this neat is,
that’ll be 100 people there all the time! The next thing that will happen is someone will try & walk up to the nest. Let them just enjoy looking at the picture!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Precious! Beautiful picture!💕
Old 06-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Great picture!
Old 06-05-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Baby crane

Quote:
How did the baby have the strength to get on mommas back after just being born?
Old 06-06-2021, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
How did the baby have the strength to get on mommas back after just being born?
That’s the nature of this kind of bird!
Closed Thread

Tags
sand, hill, crane, colt, newly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.