Tired Squirrels

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage
Default Tired Squirrels

Another lazy day in TV. The squirrels never stop trying to beat my "squirrel-proof" bird feeder. They do get some seeds that drop while the birds are feeding. But they always want more, and after trying a bit they just take a break and rest a while...

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Sage

LOL, Love that picture.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

"Chill-axing"
Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you wanted to get rid of the squirrels and also black birds, feed Safflower Seeds. Available at Petsmart 7.5 lb bags or about 300' to the left at Wild Bird Center 16 lb bags.

The Villages Florida

At WBC they will be the pink bags in the back right of the store.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 PM

Love the pic. Thanks for posting. Made me smile.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Fabulous photo! So clear and sharp.
Did you use a telephoto lens or could you really get that close???
Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 PM

So cute~ thanks for sharing!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you wanted to get rid of the squirrels and also black birds, feed Safflower Seeds. Available at Petsmart 7.5 lb bags or about 300' to the left at Wild Bird Center 16 lb bags.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
John, do rats dislike them, too?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Sage

Mrs. Robinson...no telephoto lens. I zoomed my iPhone camera a bit, but the bird feeders are right outside a couple of windows.

And I have no desire at all to get rid of the squirrels. They're a very entertaining part of the environment. And Katy (our Schnauzer) would never forgive me if I did. The squirrels just can't feed from the bird feeder. The type of bird feeder I use does not allow them to. And black birds are too heavy for the feeder. The doors close if they land on the perches. The main birds we get are cardinals and several very cute and beautiful smaller species.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 10-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Mrs. Robinson...no telephoto lens. I zoomed my iPhone camera a bit, but the bird feeders are right outside a couple of windows.

And I have no desire at all to get rid of the squirrels. They're a very entertaining part of the environment. And Katy (our Schnauzer) would never forgive me if I did. The squirrels just can't feed from the bird feeder. The type of bird feeder I use does not allow them to. And black birds are too heavy for the feeder. The doors close if they land on the perches. The main birds we get are cardinals and several very cute and beautiful smaller species.
Good for you! Yes, they are a great source of entertainment.
I know the type of feeder you have for the birds only.
They work well.

You might want to consider getting them a corn feeder stand and the squirrel-type ear of corn.
I've purchased a bag of them at Walmart.

That's when the fun really begins!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
right
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
John, do rats dislike them, too?
Safflower seeds: I've never seen a rat in 7 years in my cyv yard. Here's some tips that I use:
  • Use a Seed Tray: Install a seed catcher tray on your feeder pole, to catch stray seeds and hulls that the birds drop as they eat.
  • Clean Up: Use a broom to regularly sweep up seeds and hulls on the ground. You’ll miss out on ground feeding birds, but it’ll discourage rodents.
  • Store Smart: Store your bird seed in airtight, watertight, rodent-proof containers away from where rodents live.
  • Carry the container out to the bird feeder, rather than in your house or garage.
  • Locate Feeders Away from House: If you have a choice, place your feeders closer to natural areas, rather than near your house.
  • Mount your feeder on a pole so rodents can't get to them.

A little common sense goes a long way.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Safflower seeds: I've never seen a rat in 7 years in my cyv yard. Here's some tips that I use:
  • Use a Seed Tray: Install a seed catcher tray on your feeder pole, to catch stray seeds and hulls that the birds drop as they eat.
  • Clean Up: Use a broom to regularly sweep up seeds and hulls on the ground. You’ll miss out on ground feeding birds, but it’ll discourage rodents.
  • Store Smart: Store your bird seed in airtight, watertight, rodent-proof containers away from where rodents live.
  • Carry the container out to the bird feeder, rather than in your house or garage.
  • Locate Feeders Away from House: If you have a choice, place your feeders closer to natural areas, rather than near your house.
  • Mount your feeder on a pole so rodents can't get to them.

A little common sense goes a long way.
Thanks, John. I have a "Droll Yankee" feeder. The perch is a ring that spins if something too heavy tries to feed. It can be very entertaining.

However, "my" birds are very choosy. So they knock out a lot of seed if it's not to their taste. Do you find much waste with the safflower?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Thanks, John. I have a "Droll Yankee" feeder. The perch is a ring that spins if something too heavy tries to feed. It can be very entertaining.

However, "my" birds are very choosy. So they knock out a lot of seed if it's not to their taste. Do you find much waste with the safflower?
The Villages Florida

My feeder is identical this one. You may pay a little more at Wild Bird Center but they have a great selection and you'll get $5 off every bag of Safflower Seeds from then on when you buy your feeder there.

The Cardinals and Finches are fairly neat. The Brown Thrashers, which we did have 4 living in the back hedge, sometimes would knock the seed out of the tray with their beak. Doves are also a little messy. We located ours at the very back of the yard at the edge of the patio, that way it's easier to sweep up. Also the privacy wall is about 3' behind and the doves and some other birds will sit on the wall waiting their turn.

The Thrashers and Cardinals live in the hedge and they pop in and out all the time. We also have mockingbirds but they like grapes, and we have one that will sit on the patio table so we can see him through the sliding glass door. He will then go to where he wants the grape put, on the grill if he wants it there, or to the holly tree on the left if he wants it there. We also feed the Cardinals and Thrashers nuts for a variety. My wife buys the unsalted and cracks open the shells and puts a few on the patio for them.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The squirrels just can't feed from the bird feeder. The type of bird feeder I use does not allow them to. And black birds are too heavy for the feeder. The doors close if they land on the perches.
PB, please share with us -- what type of feeder do you use, and where did you buy it?
Closed Thread

Tags
squirrels, birds, feeding, break, rest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.